Scura gear changing problem

Guest kidd

Hi

Have an 02 Scura. Had to take her into the shop last week as I got stuck in first or second gear (I think 1st but not 100% sure). Ive read a bunch of stuff on other peoples problems but unfortunately am not the technically competent.

The doctor said he thought there may be a bent rod in the clutch. I have to wait until Thursday until they have time to open her up.

My question is: Do you (all) think I should just go ahead and have the clutch replaced to ensure I have no more problems?

Thanks Much,

Tony

Hi

Have an 02 Scura. Had to take her into the shop last week as I got stuck in first or second gear (I think 1st but not 100% sure).  Ive read a bunch of stuff on other peoples problems but unfortunately am not the technically competent.

The doctor said he thought there may be a bent rod in the clutch. I have to wait until Thursday until they have time to open her up.

My question is: Do you (all) think I should just go ahead and have the clutch replaced to ensure I have no more problems?

Thanks Much,

Tony

58339[/snapback]

It sounds to me like the infamous tranny spring break that can occur, theres a bunch of info here on the FAQ forum, just do a search using transmission/shifter spring, theres even tutorials on changing the spring yourself on the side of the road! This forum rocks! Good luck, Kid, let us know what the problem turns out to be.

Don't be thinking about replacing the clutch at this stage. There is a very good probability that it is only a broken spring. Most people with Scuras have had this problem, as have others with bikes particularly from around 2002.

The side cover comes off the gearbox and then the spring (and everything else) can be checked. See the info and photos in 'FAQ'. You'll need to get a new pawl arm and spring with correct / matching dimensions as your '02 bike probably has an oversize pawl arm boss.