Drowned

Martin Barrett

or falling out of love and back in again.

Over the last 18 weeks my V11 has had to live outside. We've been having an extension being built and I had to put my bedroom furniture into the garage whilst this has been going on.

Sunny August bank holiday over here in the UK but some of have to work. Running a little late getting ready. Been busy decorating etc. Received a phone call from the wife, "Keep an eye on the washing machine as soon as it finishes you might like to get your work trousers out and put them in the drier" Getting ready for work threading my belt through now dry trousers and my adaptor that allows my motorcylce jacket to zip to them. Allready to go running a few minutes later tah I would like but should still get to work on time.

On to the bike, ignition on, side stand up, clutch in. Press starter all the lights go out and silence. :( Turn ignition off, try again. No lights illuminate. :(:(

Haven't got time to investigate. Walk back in to house greated by sarky comments " that was quick dear" ( she has been known to say that in other circumstances :blush: ) Take the car to work, get stuck in line of traffic wanting to turn into over full park :angry: seemed like ages, only a couple of minutes you know how it is when in a hurry. Arrive at work a couple of minutes late.

Been a grumpy git all day. Wondering whats wrong, She was last used last monday on my very very wet RBR day out round the midlands.

Finish work at eleven, get home, find shes gone to bed and dinners in the microwave. Great grab the bike keys, clear enough space to get her in to the garage. In a blind hope try to start her - nothing - as expected.

Work my way along the fuse block and the 15A switch fuse has blown. Replace. Now have lights, pump cycles. Hit starter- nothing, check kill switch, still nothing.

Bugger, wiggles relays, still nothing. Several pulls on clutch and then side stand to make sure contacts have freed nothing. Then cycle the bars lock to lock. she lives :):):) shut her down straight away and head inside for my dinner priorities.

Tomorow instead of decorating I will be lifting the tank and checking on connections. Also take the opportunity to give it a service, have gaskets etc been a bit overdue waiting to clear space in the garage.

Now, is it usual for it to take the fuse out in these circumstances or do I have potentialy a bigger problem?

:wub::mg:

Spooky Martin- the 15amp fuse on Helen's V11 blew this afternoon at a petrol station.

This is after the starter circuit began to play up again after months of working ok.

Had to wiggle the gear lever to get it started after I replaced the fuse so I suspect the neutral switch.

Still had a lovely cruise in the sunshine around Ilkley- I have been off the road for nearly 2 months and have been gagging to get out again for ages.

Guy :helmet:

A dammed conspiracy! Mine blew the 15 Amp starter circuit fuse last week. I replaced it the following day, pressed the starter and away we went.

I tell you its an international conspiracy of 15 Amp fuses! Do not let them congregate or militancy can be expected. :lol:

Will life ever be the same again?

What time is it where you are?

Guest PAULSMART

You know, if I can get the bike started I never worry about it breaking down while out for a ride.....

But getting it to start...!! thats always done with fingers crossed, it has always fired up eventually. I usally swap relays around, although I'm using Bosch ones, this results in it starting, thank god for the meaty battery!!

Actually, the bank hoilday was my last ride of the year, unfortuneately, as the tax has run out and we are expecting our second child in October.

Will keep the bike ready for next spring - hopefully, it will start.

Paul Smart

Another 'happy' customer here - I've gone through 20 (that's T W E N T Y) 15 amp fuses over the last 6 months! I have small plastic bag in my tool pouch loaded with them little buggers. I've checked the battery connections, starter engine, wiggled all the relays but still she has her own mind.

When I hang up the wheels for this season my mechanic will give the elecrical bits a complete overhaul. She's still under warranty and I'm going to take full advantage of that for sure.

I've been in the same situation as Martin. It's bloody annoying when you're all dressed up and ready to go and then she don't give a toss. Any suggestions, solutions or ideas are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Søren

PS: Good story Martin, sounds like an average morning for me, too.

If fuses are blowing check ALL earths are clean and tight, not just those on the battery. In fact any dirty connection is a problem.

Hopefully should make life a little easier!

Nige. B)

That ride in the rain has probably done something with the connections. Best thing you could do is to pull each and every one apart, and squirt some dilectric grease in each one, which will eliminate this problem happening ever again.

Ciao, Steve G.

Blowing fuses could also indicate starter motor solinoid my scura randomly blew fuses while starting up until I took apart the solinoid and gave it a good clean very easy to do and the bike has never blown a fuse again and turns over better than ever

Blowing fuses could also indicate starter motor solinoid my scura randomly blew fuses while starting up until I took apart the solinoid and gave it a good clean very easy to do and the bike has never blown a fuse again and turns over better than ever

59121[/snapback]

Sounds like a starting point for me - I'm pretty pi.... about changing fuses every other day.

Thanks Timnic

Søren