Considering Ballabio as 1st Ride

Guest Sofia

I am new to riding and am considering the Ballabio as my first motorcycle. I am drawn to the styling of this motorcycle more than anything else. Can anyone who owns one of these models please throw in their :2c:. Positive or negative, Im ready for the comments.

Also, what is the deal with obtaining this model? Have they been discontinued?

First post.

Not wanting to rain on anybobys parade. I am allways amazed in the licencing arrangements in the rest of the world compared to our nanny state.

It must be nearly 40 years ago the first capacity restriction was placed on learners

then a two part test

then

then the two part test's first element was a basic machine control part before being allowed on the road

and currently a three part test and a complecated system of restricted licences depending on what size machine you took your test

Despite being theoreticaly allowed up to 250 (old git) When 17 I progressed from step through moped , to 100cc, test, then 200cc for a couple of years then 550 and then 1200. The only ones I didn't manage to drop where the moped and 1200. so I can see the idea behind slowly increasing size as experiance and maturity develop. Little bikes to smaller amount of damage when slide down the road, and possibly won't be charging around at extremes of speed. but conversly having a little bike you try harder everywhere. Can teach you machine control esp cornering.

On the other hand my mate wasn't allowed motorcycles (i was a bad influence) when he left home he borrowed a 125 did his test and went straight to the same 550 as I. He has never fallen off his bikes. He did however at 17 write off his car when someone pulled out in front of him.

All my accidents were single vehicle, ice, gravel,ice, too fast into roundabout lost front on gravel or just too fast not sure on that one.

You can allways find an example to prove any point.

Back to your question;

The V11 is has probably better engine characteristics than a rice rocket in that you don't have to rev it quite so much with an all or nothing type power profile ( nb don't lugg it or you will incure the wrath on here :grin: ). One of the "detuned" standards would be better but are still more revy than "when I was a lad"

The V11 is quite a heavy bike.

Due to various foibles inherent with the way they've been put together or some of the components, read all about it on this site. They can be quite demanding in time and attention to get it as it should be. This could put you off. But theres nothing like been thrown in the deep end.

Buying a motorcycle is not a rational thing, it's a matter of the heart. Just be sure you go into it with your eyes wide open. A V11 isn't for everyone. It took me 20 years to get mine and I wouldn't change her for the world :wub:

It is a great bike, first of all. Loads of character and driver involvement. It is fun to own, something my BMW R1150R not always was. The Beemer was way easier to drive, though, and perhaps safer too. But it had no soul.

My V11 is my second bike, and I am quite happy I didnt buy it as my first bike. It would have scared me. Its not the easiest bike to learn on. You ought to have a certain sense of whats going on, and a bit of technical knowledge, to be able to get the best of it. The engine is a bit spiky, and the chassis has some odd feedbacks that scared the sh.. out of me the first time I rode it. And it needs some tinkering to get it right for the specific driver. And its not the lightest bike around.

But it is special, and if you are willing to learn to drive it and forgive it for its shortcomings you will end up loving it in the end. I think of it as the Big Smiling Brute.

As an alternative: My wifes first bike is a Laverda Ghost 668, it is equally special and also ferociously fast for its size (no Ducati under 900ccm can follow it), but really friendly and easy to handle.

Perhaps I am just jealous; a Ballabio as a first bike? Wish it was me.

---

..writing from Norway, so you don't have to

...The V11 is quite a heavy bike....

Quite??? :huh:

It's heavy. Unless you're built like, & have latent riding skills same as those honed thru years of experience by, Martin 'Adonis' Barrett I think a lighter, more manageable & less quirky bike would be easier to learn on. Having said that the power characteristics of a Guzzi motor are great for a first timer. What about the Guzzi Breva (750 or 1100) - more manageable, or the first model Suzuki sv650 was a good looking V twin.

KB :sun:

Here comes more urine for your bonfire-

accident rates are much higher for first time riders and especially so for first time riders of large displacement bikes. It's just too easy to outrun the brakes.

When you crash (not if....everyone crashes sooner or later) hopefully you won't be too busted up, but you will have a hell of an expensive bike to fix. My :2c: is get an off road 250, 350, or 500cc beater. Learn to slide and ride in the dirt and on the street at the same time. Those MX bikes have a great power/weight ratio, so they are FAST, they stop well, you can run over curbs and potholes and generally learn to be a hooligan and when they fall down :huh2: it's no big deal. They're made to have scratches on 'em.

Oh- and take a motorcycle proficiency course. Best money you can spend on a bike.

now- of course you can buy a Ballabio as your first bike. It's a free country (depending). The Guzzi's are great bikes, and with proper care, they can last a long time. They are certainly a lot of fun to drive.

The Ballabio and the entire V11 range is now out of production. You might find an older dealer stock, but your other option is to buy a used one (which is a lot more fiscally responsible).

J

I really appreciate everyones comments. Yes indeed, I will be taking the safety course in the next couple of weeks. The V11's are the only Guzzis that I am attracted to, and may have to switch to another brand until my skill level is up to par. Triumph and Ducati also make great bikes around the 600cc range and weigh a lot less than 498 pounds.

Cheers.

Guest ramon61
I really appreciate everyones comments.  Yes indeed, I will be taking the safety course in the next couple of weeks.  The V11's are the only Guzzis that I am attracted to, and may have to switch to another brand until my skill level is up to par.  Triumph and Ducati also make great bikes around the 600cc range and weigh a lot less than 498 pounds.

Cheers.

59126[/snapback]

I have a Ballabio, my first bike also. I will never sell it, but I wish someone had talked me into starting with a Ducati 620 or Suzuki sv 650. Nothing in motorcycling compares to the sound of a 90 degree V twin exhaust note.

I have dropped the bike three times at low speed, the result of mistakes only an idiot would make. Better to make those mistakes on a cheaper bike.

I have dropped the bike three times at low speed, the result of mistakes only an idiot would make. Better to make those mistakes on a cheaper bike.

59128[/snapback]

I agree with this. A good instructor will teach a good student to ride most any bike aside from a modified race type bike. But a new rider will almost certainly have a low, low speed or zero speed tipover. If you can afford to replace a few parts then enjoy!!

Guest ratchethack
I am new to riding and am considering the Ballabio as my first motorcycle.  I am drawn to the styling of this motorcycle more than anything else. 

If this isn't a perfect example of a 'moth to the flame' scenario, I don't know what is. Sorry, but contrary to the dictates of today's Popular Kulture, with all the instant gratification that we've all been brainwashed to demand from just about every aspect of our lives, this is one bad idea that just can't be squared with a reasonable health plan. I don't care who started out with what monster krotch rocket and lived to tell the tale. I'd do my damnedest not to permit any relative or good friend of mine to do this.

Sure, it's still a free country (for the most part <_< ) but buying a 500 lb. semi-fiddly Italian motorcycle capable of 130 mph as your introduction to motorcycling based on the fact that you're "drawn to the styling" is a flat-out foolish and extremely dangerous concept, IMHO - for man or woman. With all due respect, Sofia, there are dues to be paid - one way or another.

If you're dead set on a Ballabio, by all means buy one - but for God's sake prepare yourself responsibly FIRST! Starting from a blank slate, becoming a responsible and safe rider of this class of machine is something that cannot be bought. It must be earned by qualified experience. I'd highly recommend that you get a used 250 dual sport and put about 10K miles or 2 years on it, whichever comes first, take a rider's education/safety course, understand what it's like to fall off repeatedly from first-hand experience (in nice soft dirt, far away from traffic), and come to know reflexively from deep in your bones how to control a motorcycle. Then, if you've developed the proper discipline and halfway decent skills, AND you have any luck, you might be ready at that point.

Awhile back I did a day's trip in the local mountains with a group that included a 24-year-old woman who rode her V11 Sport very competently. I wouldn't hesitate to ride with her any time. She had prepared herself exactly as I suggested above with top notch coaching from her very experienced Dad.

Your alternative to preparing yourself responsibly is equivalent to diving headfirst off a 5-meter board where you have no idea how deep the water is. Make no mistake - on top of this, there's lots of croc's and sharks that you can't see yet, 'cause you have no idea where to look for 'em. I'm suggesting that by joining this popular new and rapidly growing high-risk demographic (Neophytes on large and powerful bikes), you'd have a high probability of a *best case scenario* within your first few thousand miles of selling a bent-up and road-shredded Ballabio CHEAP because you can no longer ride on crutches or from a wheelchair.

Just my :2c:

NO,NO, Sofia...not a Ballabio.

I've owned one for just over a year & done 12000km on it.

I love the look, I love the engine, I love the riding position & the comfort.

There is, however, one almighty negative to this bike... it's handling...especially on any road that's not billiard table smooth...it's like trying to hang on to a greasy pig on an ice rink.

I've tried the full range of suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyres,damper settings & fork height....it's now a lot better than "factory" but still a handful.

This bike would be terribly unforgiving of an inexperienced rider who overcooked a corner or got the line wrong on a bend on ripply tarmac.

Get something lighter & nimbler before it all ends in tears.

Miles Long...

fully expecting to be flamed by the faithful, but I type with my hand on my heart on this one...

Your alternative to preparing yourself responsibly is equivalent to diving headfirst off a 5-meter board where you have no idea how deep the water is.  Make no mistake - on top of this, there's lots of croc's and sharks that you can't see yet, 'cause you have no idea where to look for 'em.  I'm suggesting that by joining this popular new and rapidly growing high-risk demographic (Neophytes on large and powerful bikes), you'd have a high probability of a *best case scenario* within your first few thousand miles of selling a bent-up and road-shredded Ballabio CHEAP because you can no longer ride on crutches or from a wheelchair.

Just my  :2c:

59132[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly with Ratchethack's sentiments here and like everyone else virtually I'd have to say that a Balabio is NOT a beginners bike. Yes, it may be pretty and you may of fallen in lust with it, but it is a large HEAVY motorbike.

One other point, don't be duped into thinking that because some of the machines suggested as alternatives have smaller engine displacements they are necessarily less powerful. Apart from the fact that as a novice you really don't need a lot of power, (Some of us who have had 35 years experience don't need a lot either :D ). The power to weight ratio of something like an SV 600, (A lovely little bike by the way.) is probably better than that of the Balabio and it would definitely be easier to ride.

By all means buy a Guzzi, they are a lovely machine, I've owned them almost exclusively for 20 years and although I don't have a V11 variant I would certainly recommend one. But not to a novice.

If you don't fancy a trailly to learn on any 250-600cc twin from the Japanese manufacturers is just about ideal. Buy one a couple of years old and learn the lessons on that. Then, after a couple of years if you still want to buy a Guzzi. Avoid at all cost any 'Super-sport' model from any manufacturer. Not only are they finicky to ride but they are absurdly demanding and require huge amounts of set-up to work well, they too are not for a novice.

Pete

I really appreciate everyones comments.  Yes indeed, I will be taking the safety course in the next couple of weeks.  The V11's are the only Guzzis that I am attracted to, and may have to switch to another brand until my skill level is up to par.  Triumph and Ducati also make great bikes around the 600cc range and weigh a lot less than 498 pounds.

Cheers.

59126[/snapback]

I'm going to toss my newbie $2 cents worth in, perhaps it might give you annother perspective, just what you need, right?:) I'm not sure of your background, here's mine- I was born and raised in South Florida, ie, a large city. I had a very shortlived bike experiance back when I was in my early 20's. I got ahold of a Triumph 650 Bonnie, and put a couple of thousand hair raising miles on it. Before I had a chance to do myself in, the engine on my racecar blew up, and the Bonnie got sacrificed to keep me going for a while (until I totaled that particular car, but thats annother story). We now fast foreward to 2004, when, due to various emotional and quite irrational impulses I got a brand new 2001 CA Special. I went to the bike school-MANDATORY, btw, and then had the bike shop deliver my Guzzi. I then spent the next several months riding around my neighborhood, on roads I knew, at 3 am. No cars to worry about, on roads I could drive in my sleep. I had one zero speed tip-over, thats all the wreaking that I have had on the CA. I then gradually, at my own pace, introduced cars into my riding enviroment. I started to venture onto the expressways. Before I left S Fla, I put over 2000 miles on the CA, and now have about 4,000 miles on the old boy. Into this process came a 2004 V11 Copa Italia. I had about 2, maybe 3 thousand miles total, and then got that, the deal fell down out of the sky via Ebay, I couldn't pass it up! Simply put, I love it. Its easier to ride than the CA, IMHO. It came with the titanium exhaust and the hot ECU. I've put about 2,000 miles on it. Now, in all this process I moved to the coast of Washington state. No freeways with kids driving around in suv's chattering on cell phones, just twisty roads, wet weather, logging trucks and deer that dont' seem to see anything. Demanding in its own way.

Bottom line- as a virtual biker newbie, I have survived my first 5,000 miles on two large displacement Guzzi's, and feel at home and comfortable on both machines. Will your experiance be like mine? Nothing is exactly the same, let me throw some things out at you. I had a lot of bike riding as a kid, and, off and on, kept riding. So my basic sense of balance stayed fairly active. In addition, I always have a stick shift somthing around. In bike school I noticed that the folks that had the most problems were those who lacked one of those two skills. In fact, a lady who had just learned to ride a bike at the age of 45 and had never driven stick, quit almost in tears on the first day. So I would say that you need to be completely natural with both of those skills. I don't know if this is a factor or not, but I have a far amount of car racing experiance. I've got some years of both oval and road racing. Stock cars, open wheel midgets, a couple of years in SCCA formula ford, I've hot lapped a hydroplane, raced at Sebring, etc. I suppose that factors in somewhere in the transision to bikes.

So...could you get a Ballabio and live thru the learning curve? I think you could. IF, and that is IF you have above average hand-eye coordination, good eyesite and have two wheel balance already in place. Assuming you have a certain amount of common sense, yes, you can get thru it. Honestly, i don't think getting a dirt bike and learning how to wreck will accomplish a lot, unless your a 20 somthing generation whatever. If your a boomer, you don't need to go there, but thats my opinion, and I could easilly be wrong. Go thru the school, get your bike from a local, reputable shop, do ALL, repeat ALL of your beginning riding around your neighborhood and roads, and introduce traffic at your own speed. Then, I think you should be ok. Hope this helps:)

Only one way to know:

test ride it.

A sporty V11 is bigger and heavier than a Monster,

but is not hard to ride and the power is not overwelming

in any way.

If you ride mostly in town and slow traffic a Monster is a

better bike for all of us, but in the twisties you just use

4th and 5th gear for a smooth ride.

With a smaller engine you have to work the gearbox more,

with the V11 you just use engine breaking with a little assistens

from the front brakes (2 fingers), then lean in, a little throttle to

stop engine breaking and the slowly open up the throttle on exit

all in the same gear.

But again, test ride a few bikes, if your not comfortable on the bike you buy

it will not be as fun as it should. :race:

Guest whidbeyrider

The dual sport for a first bike is a damn good idea, and better yet do some riding offroad. Nothing will better prepare you for street riding. It will develop balance and handling skills that will stay with you as a street bike rider for life. I had a KTM dual sport, a hell of a lot of fun to ride both on and off the street. A much better approach to learning to ride. I believe a big street bike is a serious mistake for a first bike. The penalty for failure is too high.