Yamabond sealant question

bigbikerrick

This time Im not working on my V 11 sport, but am posing this question here because there seems to be alot of knowledge and expertise in this forum. this weekend I will be repairing a cam end plug oil leak on my kawasaki nomad 1500( see jap bikes leak too! :blush: ) anyway, the cam plug is steel, coated with rubber and sits between the head and rocker cover. I have both the grey Yamabond #4 which is considered "non Drying" and the black Yamabond #5 which is a "drying" gasket maker. which one of these do you folks suggest I use on this application? oh , I also have to seal up the top rocker cover which are 2 machined surfaces with some sort of metal gasket between the 2. Thank You. Thank God I have my trusty V 11 to ride while I have the motor out of the Vulcan :bike:

I'd suggest you phone Yamaha and ask 'em.

My guess would be non hardening on the rubbery bit and hardening on the metal composite thingy but don't take my word for it I only work on reliable stuff. Has the Vulcan done it's oil pump yet?

Pete

I'd suggest you phone Yamaha and ask 'em.

My guess would be non hardening on the rubbery bit and hardening on the metal composite thingy but don't take my word for it I only work on reliable stuff. Has the Vulcan done it's oil pump yet?

Pete

59328[/snapback]

Actually, Pete the vulcans after 1999 have a steel oil pump gear, not the plastic one that strips at any time and suddenly you have no oil pressure as you are going down the highway at 70mph. Mine is a 2000. actually its been a very reliable bike for the last 20K miles. but.... It has NO soul, thats where the V11 comes into play, since I got the v 11 I havent ridden the vulcan at all, I may sell her and get a cali to park next to the sport, This Guzzi thing is habit forming! Im hooked, Im an addicted to Guzzis! :mg:

Use Yamabond or Hondabond 4 for most locations. I believe the 5 actually dries "hard",but have never used it. The "trick" is to put it in a separate bottle and thin it some. You then can paint it on with a brush to get a nice even coat. Straight out of the tube it is fairly thick and stringy.

Main advantage is it never really "dries". You have plenty of time to coat the crankcases and assemble. :luigi:

Use Yamabond or Hondabond 4 for most locations. I believe the 5 actually dries "hard",but have never used it. The "trick" is to put it in a separate bottle and thin it some. You then can paint it on with a brush to get a nice even coat. Straight out of the tube it is fairly thick and stringy.

Main advantage is it never really "dries". You have plenty of time to coat the crankcases and assemble.  :luigi:

59341[/snapback]

The fact that it never really dries is what has me skeptical, it stays like used chewing gum, I wonder how in the world something like that will seal against oil leakage! these products are not silicone based , but actually look more like a thick latex paint... :unsure:

The fact that it never really dries is what has me skeptical, it stays like used chewing gum, I wonder how in the world something like that will seal against oil leakage!  these products are not silicone based , but actually look more like a thick latex paint...  :unsure:

59357[/snapback]

That's actually why they work: by staying flexible, they continually shift to fill the gaps that the oil is trying to leak thru. Kinda like window putty never really "drying" per se [or rather, when it finally does dry, it cracks & starts leaking! ;) ]

Stop thinking so hard, & just use it... :thumbsup:

Ride on!

:mg:

That's actually why they work: by staying flexible, they continually shift to fill the gaps that the oil is trying to leak thru. Kinda like window putty never really "drying" per se [or rather, when it finally does dry, it cracks & starts leaking! ;) ]

Stop thinking so hard, & just use it...  :thumbsup:

Ride on!

:mg:

59487[/snapback]

Thanks skeeve, actually I sealed up the motor last night using the yamabond 4 I appreciate your "vote of confidence" though :bier:

Thanks skeeve, actually I sealed up the motor last night using the yamabond 4 I appreciate your "vote of confidence" though :bier:

59502[/snapback]

I had the only non-leaking Norton in Alberta for a number of years. Didn't help the fact that it needed new main bearing every winter, and left me with a rusty driveway, but it does work.... especially where some Brit decides that case halves will not benefit from a gasket!!