gearbox leak question

bigbikerrick

my 2002 naked has just under 5K miles,and has had a small leak from the gearbox since new. im pretty sure its coming from the joint between the main gearcase and the "sandwiched" section between the main case and the rear plate. Ive cleaned it off many times and inspected it carefully. It drops a couple of drops on the crossover mostly when its setting on the sidestand,parked you see/smell it on the bottom left side of the gearcase. Im pretty handy with tools and ive got a repair manual CD coming in the mail soon. what is involved in sealing up this leak? does the motor have to be dropped? does it require very invasive dissasembly of the gearbox, or is it easy to reseal that middle plate? I hate to take it to the dealer 130 miles away if its something I can do myself. all comments/ suggestions are truly appreciated. :)

After my gearboxes recall work, I had a leak there.

I switched to cheap valvoline 90W140 or something like that and it slowed down a little, but shifted stiffly when cold.

I procrastinated than finally dealt with it.

I had to pull the starter and the swing arm.

It gave me the chance to properly adjust the adjustment screw.

I pulled the rear case which gave me access to the screws that hold the inner case together.

When I started tightening those screws, I found that one was too loose right by my leak.

I was scared to take it further apart to re-seal it, so I just torqued it down well, sealed the rear case, and put it all back, and filled up with RedLine light shockproof (EDIT PLEASE NOTE THAT REDLINES CUSTOMER SERVICE RECOMMENDS HEAVY). And it has been leak free ever since...will maybe a weep, but no drips on my now carbon covered crossover.....who needs ceramic coating when Carbon coating is free!?!

If it still leaked and I had to pull the inner cover, I was contemplating paying the dealer, because it did look like a fair amount of work.

But maybe someone has done it and it was not that difficult.

My bike had done this since day one....not enough to be anything other than an annoying stinky mess on my crossover. I'll get around to it pretty soon. One thing I have noticed when replacing my gear box oil is that with .850 liters, there is no oil visible in the level sight window, even when the bike is level, onstand etc, even tilted towards it. I ended up hedging my bets by slowly increasing the measured amount until I could just barely see it at the bottom of the window.

Anybody else noticed this, or have comments on the oil level in the gearbox?

Andy

My bike had done this since day one....not enough to be anything other than an annoying stinky mess on my crossover.  I'll get around to it pretty soon.  One thing I have noticed when replacing my gear box oil is that with .850 liters, there is no oil visible in the level sight window, even when the bike is level, onstand etc, even tilted towards it.  I ended up hedging my bets by slowly increasing the measured amount until I could just barely see it at the bottom of the window. 

Anybody else noticed this, or have comments on the oil level in the gearbox?

Andy

59387[/snapback]

I changed my 90 wt. measured .850l L and the oill was over the top of the window, i sucked some out until it got to the middle, maybe about 60 miL .

I changed my 90 wt. measured .850l L and the oill was over the top of the window, i sucked some out until it got to the middle, maybe about 60 miL  .

59389[/snapback]

Very interesting, mine wasn't close to that.

Andy

At the recommendation of a few members of this forum, I switched to Redline, Shockproof Heavy, and my leaky, stinky problem went away. I can't tell if it's because the oil level is now right, or becasue this stuff doesn't get through. Whatever! It shifts the same, and there's no mess!

At the recommendation of a few members of this forum, I switched to Redline, Shockproof Heavy, and my leaky, stinky problem went away.  I can't tell if it's because the oil level is now right, or becasue this stuff doesn't get through.  Whatever!  It shifts the same, and there's no mess!

59419[/snapback]

what part of your gearbox was leaking? were you able to pinpoint the leak? Im tempted to try the redline to see if it solves my problem.

what part of your gearbox was leaking? were you able to pinpoint the leak? Im tempted to try the redline to see if it solves my problem.

59422[/snapback]

I was unable to identify the leak source with any certainty. The light, clear oil seemed to be everywhere. I am not convinced that it wasn't simply overfilled.

I filled the gearbox with RedLine shockproof, which seemed substantially thicker than what was in there, ONLY to the middle of the sight glass (with the bike UPRIGHT) as recommended by some people here. The result of the change was no more leak.

The question is......... was this due to heavier oil, or less oil, or some magic property of RedLine. Frankly, I'm not concerned enough about the "why" to chase down the truth. I'm simply pleased with the result so that I can ride out the short Canadian riding season, without any more stink!

I was unable to identify the leak source with any certainty.  The light, clear oil seemed to be everywhere.  I am not convinced that it wasn't simply overfilled.

I filled the gearbox with RedLine shockproof, which seemed substantially thicker than what was in there, ONLY to the middle of the sight glass (with the bike UPRIGHT) as recommended by some people here.  The result of the change was no more leak.

The question is......... was this due to heavier oil, or less oil, or some magic property of RedLine.  Frankly, I'm not concerned enough about the "why" to chase down the truth.  I'm simply pleased with the result so that I can ride out the short Canadian riding season, without any more stink!

59450[/snapback]

Thats good to hear Brian, Im going to order 3 quarts of the shockproof heavy and put it in the gearbox, rear end, and the rear end of my nomad, sounds like real good stuff!