Redline gear lube question

bigbikerrick

about these solid particles though... What are they made of? Anyone any idea?

60862[/snapback]

Probably atoms. Maybe electrons and stuff like that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

900 miles after putting in the heavy,and not a drop of leakage on my crossover, the gearbox is much quieter, and the shifting is silky smooth,

60901[/snapback]

I'm using synthetic, which was fine, but after a surprisingly short time first gear has got crunchy again – difficult to engage from neutral.

When my 01 V11 Sport's trannie was in its final days (missed shifts everywhere) I put in RLHD and the transformation was miraculous. Fewer missed shifts, smoother overall. Then my trannie was recalled under warranty, returned to me and shortly thereafter exploded. It was then replaced under warranty.

So my new trannie has fewer than 1K miles on it now. It has in it whatever comes from the factory and works just fine...

Do you think I should switch to the RLHD now (I really would like to as I recall how smooth it made my old "lop-sided" trannie), or wait several thousand more miles til the new trannie is broke in proper?

FWIW, the new trannie works flawlessley! Thanks MGNA. :mg:

When my 01 V11 Sport's trannie was in its final days (missed shifts everywhere) I put in RLHD and the transformation was miraculous. Fewer missed shifts, smoother overall. Then my trannie was recalled under warranty, returned to me and shortly thereafter exploded. It was then replaced under warranty.

So my new trannie has fewer than 1K miles on it now. It has in it whatever comes from the factory and works just fine...

Do you think I should switch to the RLHD now (I really would like to as I recall how smooth it made my old "lop-sided" trannie), or wait several thousand more miles til the new trannie is broke in proper?

FWIW, the new trannie works flawlessley! Thanks MGNA. :mg:

60927[/snapback]

Did the dealer ever figgure out what caused your tranny to explode? sounds like it was something they did during the recall....

I've done 700 plus miles in the past couple of weeks since changing to Heavy, including a couple of early morning starts when the temp has been 5 or 6 C. Haven't noticed any negative effects at these lower temps. Still enjoying the slicker shifting.

I'm a believer.

Did the dealer ever figgure out what caused your tranny to explode? sounds like it was something they did during the recall....

60933[/snapback]

Yeah, Instead of replacing a defective case they tried to machine in a bushing, but apparently the machinist (so the shop told me) forgot to properly do something and the bushing fell into the moving transmission after 200 miles. :( MGNA sent me a new trannie, to their credit :D .

Yeah, Instead of replacing a defective case they tried to machine in a bushing, but apparently the machinist (so the shop told me) forgot to properly do something and the bushing fell into the moving transmission after 200 miles.  :( MGNA sent me a new trannie, to their credit :D .

60979[/snapback]

PHEW! (sigh of relief) I was starting to worry that our trannies would grenade for an unknown reason! Thanks for the reassurance :mg:

PHEW! (sigh of relief) I was starting to worry that our trannies would grenade for an unknown reason! Thanks for the reassurance :mg:

61002[/snapback]

And it is good to know it did not grenade from using redline.

I've done 700 plus miles in the past couple of weeks since changing to Heavy, including a couple of early morning starts when the temp has been 5 or 6 C. Haven't noticed any negative effects at these lower temps. Still enjoying the slicker shifting.

I'm a believer.

Thanks for the reassurance that the redline heavy is good at that temperature.

Since I noticed the light feel less than perfect when very hot,(above 100 F) and Mike says the heavy is fine at 5 Celcius, than I shall be switching to heavy.(but I'll wait through the cooler months to get my money's worth out of shockproof light)

Forgot to mention last time - my neutral light has always been a bit hit or miss, sometimes it works sometimes not. But since using Heavy it comes on every time without fail and the light has never been brighter. So this amazing stuff cures electrical problems as well. Is there no end to its talents? I'm going to start carrying some in a wee bottle and next time I've got a problem I'll just rub the offending part with the elixer and the Redline genie will fix it.

Forgot to mention last time - my neutral light has always been a bit hit or miss, sometimes it works sometimes not. But since using Heavy it comes on every time without fail and the light has never been brighter. So this amazing stuff cures electrical problems as well. Is there no end to its talents? I'm going to start carrying some in a wee bottle and next time I've got a problem I'll just rub the offending part with the elixer and the Redline genie will fix it.

61223[/snapback]

Ahhhh, The magic redline elixer! I still get down on my knees every couple of days to check the top of my crossover for a red drop of leakage, but its dry,YES its dry! no leakage at all! back in 2001 I sold my beautiful Rosso Mandello because I got pissed that the tranny had a leak, If I had known about Redline SPH I would still be riding that beautiful machine. Oh well, I love my 2003 naked as well. :race:

• 7 months later...

how much goes in the bevel box, I know I've seen the answer b4 and now my head hurts for looking for it for the last 45 min. anyone? anyone?

I got 4qts for the engine, little less than 1qt 850ml for the trans(is this right) and bevel? :huh2:

how much goes in the bevel box, I know I've seen the answer b4 and now my head hurts for looking for it for the last 45 min. anyone? anyone?

I got 4qts for the engine, little less than 1qt 850ml for the trans(is this right) and bevel?  :huh2:

87520[/snapback]

Fill it up untill comes out of the middle hole/drain plug. But apparently it will splash out when poured in as hits crown wheel/pinion. so might want to put bung in add a bit and then remove bung. I'll look up volumes when I get home if no ones chimes in, but you could measure what comes out and then work from there.

Yes,

sorry I was totally fubar'd off my night shift I forgot to check on getting home.

but don't forget the 0.002 for the moly. obviously don't need to add it if using the red line. so makes 0.372 I'm sure it will make a difference :D