Battery Drain from Power Commander?

Guest whart

Since the dealer installed the PCIII, i have twice experienced a dead battery. Did not have this problem before the PC was installed. The first time it happened, I put a battery tender on it, and after some period of time, was able to crank the bike, and rode it for several hours. Thereafter, it seemed OK.

I have been away on business for better than a week, the Guzzi was sitting- and this morning, the battery was again dead. (I did not leave the battery tender on it during my absence, but this just reinforces the question about what load is on it when the bike it shut off). Battery not only dead, but my tender indicated that there was a fault with the battery, i.e., the tender wouldn't go into normal charge mode.

Called the dealer, he is ordering a new battery, but i can't imagine what is draining this sucker. Is it the PC? What am i missing? (Obviously, i don't want to go thru the exercise of replacing the battery only to drain the new one, as well). Any obvious solution to this one? TIA> :cheese:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you fail to realise is PC stands for "Power Consumer". USB refers to the effect this has, namely "Usually Stationary Bike".

Hence I wouldn't install a PC USB, as I prefer to save power, and get the bike moving regularly.

Toodle Pip!

What you fail to realise is PC stands for "Power Consumer". USB refers to the effect this has, namely "Usually Stationary Bike".

Hence I wouldn't install a PC USB, as I prefer to save power, and get the bike moving regularly.

Toodle Pip!

59774[/snapback]

So, as long as the PC is hooked up- and if i can't ride the bike daily- i should be constantly hooked up to a tender, from what it sounds like. (The PC was installed to accomodate what i understood were the necessary changes resulting from the X-over and staintunes cans).

How old is the battery?

As I understand it the gel type do tend to expire pretty quickly when they come towards the end of their useful life.

The old lead acids used to linger a lot longer! :grin:

Nige. B)

How old is the battery?

As I understand it the gel type do tend to expire pretty quickly when they come towards the end of their useful life.

The old lead acids used to linger a lot longer!  :grin:

Nige.  B)

59783[/snapback]

Well, i got the bike, a Nero Corsa, a few months ago, but it had been sitting as 'new/old' inventory at the dealers for some time before i bought it. I asked the dealer about whether the battery had been activated while it was sitting and he explained that a gel battery doesn't require such activation. So, i guess you could figure that these bikes were what, 2004 models, sitting say, a year plus, prior to my time of purchase?

Well, i got the bike, a Nero Corsa, a few months ago, but it had been sitting as 'new/old' inventory at the dealers for some time before i bought it. I asked the dealer about whether the battery had been activated while it was sitting and he explained that a gel battery doesn't require such activation. So, i guess you could figure that these bikes were what, 2004 models, sitting say, a year plus, prior to my time of purchase?

59784[/snapback]

I was just having a laugh with the last post! I've never heard of Power Commanders draining the battery, they should be on the switched circuit from the key that feeds the ECU.

I have a standard V11 2000 model that only managed 2200 miles in its first 3 years with two previous owners, so I think it's a reasonable bet the thing was stood most of the time. I have been riding it over a year, and it now has 10,500 up. The battery is the original Guzzi gel one, and it's still strong. However, although I leave the bike sometimes for a month at a time whilst I am away on business, all my journeys are long and fast, not pottering round town.

Usually the culprits for battery draining are aftermarket alarms. Although I don't really agree with power commanders, (it's far better to reprogram the ECU properly or fit a better ECU) I doubt the PC is to blame for the battery problem.

Yeah, It may be on the way out then. TBH I wouldn't pretend to know how long they last, I haven't had to replace one yet.

Are you still under warranty?

Mind you, doubtful if it would cover that.

No harm in asking, I suppose.

Nige. :huh:

Guest ratchethack

Whart, a few rambling thoughts.

I'd suggest application of the KISS principle when troubleshooting this. Check all the easiest stuff first. For starters, there's a very low probability that the PCIII is contributing to this (although it's not impossible). Disconnecting it would be an easy way to eliminate it as a possibility, but there are other things I'd try first.

Since you've taken the step of ordering a new battery, I'd use a DMM or DVM when the new battery is installed to see if you can get a voltage reading between the positive battery post and each of the many leads (disconneting each from the battery!) that connect to the positive post. Test each one with the ignition key in the OFF position. If you find any voltage reading at all on any of them, you will have narrowed down a source of fault to that particular wire. It's standard troubleshooting procedure from that point forward to isolate a short in a wire or a bad component.

It's possible that the old battery was at fault. In this case - again with the new battery installed, you'll have a high probability of confirming this should you find no voltage at any of the wires in the scenario above, and unless there's a fault with the running circuitry (ignition ON), you're done!

It's also possible that you have a bad ground path, preventing your battery from charging properly underway. Careful inspection and/or re-seating every ground conection is always a good idea. Dielectric grease is always a good idea to inhibit pesky oxidation at any connector or connection point. If your battery tender wouldn't charge, it's possible that the battery just got too low for the tender to function.

Keep in mind that intermittent electrical paths that may not show up in your garage may show up only when some combination of vibration and heat conspire on the road.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

I was just having a laugh with the last post! I've never heard of Power Commanders draining the battery, they should be on the switched circuit from the key that feeds the ECU.

I have a standard V11 2000 model that only managed 2200 miles in its first 3 years with two previous owners, so I think it's a reasonable bet the thing was stood most of the time. I have been riding it over a year, and it now has 10,500 up. The battery is the original Guzzi gel one, and it's still strong. However, although I leave the bike sometimes for a month at a time whilst I am away on business, all my journeys are long and fast, not pottering round town.

Usually the culprits for battery draining are aftermarket alarms. Although I don't really agree with power commanders, (it's far better to reprogram the ECU properly or fit a better ECU) I doubt the PC is to blame for the battery problem.

59793[/snapback]

Do you leave it on a conditioner or use a charger at all?

Other than fault conditions, the usual culprits for battery draining are alarm systems.

Nige. B)

Yeah, It may be on the way out then. TBH I wouldn't pretend to know how long they last, I haven't had to replace one yet.

Are you still under warranty?

Mind you, doubtful if it would cover that.

No harm in asking, I suppose.

Nige.  :huh:

59794[/snapback]

It seems to me that the dealer should be able to determine what is going on with the electrical system. I didn't install anything on the bike which tied into the electrical system other than the PC, and that was done by the dealer who sold me the bike. He has been pretty accomodating, i just don't want to have perennial problems with battery discharge, and want to get to the bottom of the problem before the new battery is installed. I had done a search for battery drain, but didn't see anything that seemed to be a constant issue.

Typically, if the bike will not be ridden for some time (many weeks, as in winter), it goes on a tender. I did not think a hiatus of a week or two would lead to battery drain. I have now gotten the tender to go into charge mode and i'm charging it again. (It is possible that i didn't have a good ground when i first hooked it up- i'm using the alligator clips, since i ran out of the permanently installed cables- i have alot of machines to be 'tended.') Nonetheless the bike will get checked out before a new battery is installed. I will report back on the diagnosis. Thank you all so far for your prompt, thoughtful, and yes, humorous, responses. :grin:

It seems to me that the dealer should be able to determine what is going on with the electrical system. I didn't install anything on the bike which tied into the electrical system other than the PC, and that was done by the dealer who sold me the bike. He has been pretty accomodating, i just don't want to have perennial problems with battery discharge, and want to get to the bottom of the problem before the new battery is installed. I had done a search for battery drain, but didn't see anything that seemed to be a constant issue.

59798[/snapback]

Trouble is you need a healthy battery to fault find effectively. :huh:

It sounds to me like it should be his problem rather than yours anyway.

As Nogbad suggests I would tend to use it for longer rides. When I go out I usually do around 80 miles. Short runs do more harm than good.

Nige. B)

Do you leave it on a conditioner or use a charger at all?

Nige.  B)

59796[/snapback]

Nope, nothing. It sits beside my back door. There is a roof to keep the rain off, and I put a cover on the bike, but I have left it as long as 8 weeks in the winter and just started it on the button whenever I have wanted it.

Loads more reliable a starter than the carbed Suzi SV650 I had before!

Nope, nothing. It sits beside my back door. There is a roof to keep the rain off, and I put a cover on the bike, but I have left it as long as 8 weeks in the winter and just started it on the button whenever I have wanted it.

Loads more reliable a starter than the carbed Suzi SV650 I had before!

59802[/snapback]

Do you disconnect the battery before you leave it?

It might be an idea if you are leaving it for a fair while?

Mine are garaged and I use a conditioner of the Guzzi gel battery and disconnect and periodically charge the Triumph and MuZ batteries over winter.

Nige. B)

Do you disconnect the battery before you leave it?

59803[/snapback]

No. I seriously do sod all. I service it or have it serviced at the right intervals and if anything goes "phut" I fix it, like the crank seal the other week.

Apart from that, I expect it to sit unused as necessary, and start on the button when I want to ride it.

My woman works like that, and I expect the same service from my bike. :P