Replacement Headlight (crash)

Guest toutizes

Guest toutizes

Hi All,

I just crashed my '00 V11S on a freeway on-ramp :( and was lucky to only get superficial damage: Levers, pedals, handlebars, tail piece, mufflers, headlight brackets, stucchi fairing.. (And only a small broken foot bone on the driver, thanks to my guardian angel, thanks, thanks. :wub: )

Now, it's rebuild time, and I'm getting a Magni fairing which comes with clip-ons, and ends-up being a good deal. Luckily I had my stock mufflers on when I crashed so I can just put back my mistrals on. I'm going to get one of them fancy tail-pieces from the Netherlands with the integrated LEDs, not that much more expensive (I'm guessing) than getting an original from MG themselves. (As I have the green model, I'm a bit worried about paint matching though).

The *reflector* part of the headlight is broken though, and MG wants $250 for a replacement reflector. Sounds quite outrageous, doesn't it?

Anybody has a recommendation for a replacement headlight that would be more reasonably priced and fit the Magni fairing?

Thanks in advance!

Matthieu (California)

Good to hear that you only have a broken foot bone. :thumbsup: Snow you take the chance to rebuild the V11 to your liking? Turn a bad thing into something good.

BTW. Someone told me the V11S headlight was a Bosch standard. If so you could probably get a better deal than with an OEM.

Good luck

Jaap

Moto Guzzi parts replacement costs defy imagination. I wanted to replace the stock ignition wire set on my Sport 1100i with them purty red ones from a V11 Sport, so I ordered a set. I shoulda checked the prices first because my credit card got dinged pretty hard. $96. $31+ for EACH spark plug cap. Now I know why the V11s come with crash guards. On the way home from work Thursday night I somehow lost the left side Tecno bag. I shudder to think what that's going to cost to replace that plus the expensive BMW phase change cold weather clothes that I lost. :( Of course, bad luck happens in threes, so I'm waiting for #3. Number one was having the clutch blow on my California last week.

My V11S headlight is identical to the one on my '82 Shovelhead FLH, both Bosch units - 8", I think. You should easily find a reasonably priced aftermarket one, maybe even at the autoparts store.

Hi Matthieu,

sorry to hear you're chrashed. The tailpiece with led is a lot cheaper than an original guzzi part ( 741 euro!, unpainted).

You can order the tailpiece with led from Teo Lamers, www.tlm.nl , partnr: 015731350099 for Euro377,311 (excl. VAT and shipping costs)

:mg:

Guest toutizes

Thanks all this is great info. I'm definitely going to look for a Bosh 8" and you're right that the tail piece part is quite reasonable. Yep MG parts are way over priced!

Thanks again

Matthieu

Hey, somebody jinxed me! I read this thread, then went home and looked at my headlight.

The reflector is busted off. :doh:

Criminey.

I wonder how common this is?

Cheers,

Jason

How does the reflector bust off?

I thought it was glued to the "lens" or clear glass face, and then held in place with spring clips against the chrome bezel. The Spring clips alone should keep it together.

When my bike went down it broke off the low beam guard thing-a-mah-jig inside of the reflector.

I used pliars to mash the guard up until it was small enough to get through the bulb socket. It took about a half hour to mash it. I still have yet to test it for how blinding it is. :sun:B)

Jason,

It was me - 'cause I mentioned it was a HD part....

Hey, I don't hold it against you Ray. Well, I won't if you send me a headlight :blink:

Seriously- I have no idea how this thing broke, unless it was metal fatigue- I'm talking about the U-shaped bit inside the headlight. dlaing is calling it a guard thing-a-mah-jig. Same piece. Mine's obviously been broke for awhile, because the silvering on the reflective backside of the housing is scraped off. Time to break out the pliars.

I always had high esteem for Bosch parts. My faith is shattered...

Cheers,

Jason

If you are talking about that reflector thingy that sits directly in front of the headlight bulb, MGNA replaced mine under warranty when it broke.

My dealer tells me that mine was not the first one that they had changed.

Seems to be a recurrent failure on the V11 Le Mans series.

Anybody out there with a V11 Sport had one fail yet?

-jp

Maybe it breaking off is a feature! :lol:

But seriously if the scratches are not too bad, you may get more light up the road.

I am still waiting for my headlight bracket, so it will be a while before I can see the difference in the beam.