Tire preferences for '02 LeMans???

quazi-moto

Guest ratchethack
Alright.!! :thumbsup:  well , just a small explanation in shake of understanding ,

As I talked before about the profile 60 0r 70 I have a Sport 1100i and that has a rear tire dimensions 160/70/17 changing to a 60 I meant 160/60/17 - NO changes on the width were made , but on the profile. I guess my bike wears a different tire than most if not all V11's right?!

60387[/snapback]

Alex, sorry I completely missed this in your post. My bad. :blush: A 60 profile is also the profile that came stock with a 170 width on my 4.5" rim and the same profile I'm running now with 160 width. What width rim are you running? :huh2:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Just one thing to mention,I think what matters most

is as long as the front tyre sticks.I've been using mostly Michelin and bridgestone with the sport tyre on the front and the road tyre on the back.eg[Pilot power on the front,Pilot road on the back] or[ BT014 front BT012 back].Heaps better than original.

:drink: Cheers Gilly. :D

Okay, I was initially leaning towards the Corsas, but perhaps that won't be necessary and maybe the regular Diablos will suffice. If I can get 5K miles out of a set I'd be content. Should I be running a 170 in the back? I didn't realize that the 180 was actually oversize for the LeMans rim width. Also, would a Corsa in the front and a regular Diablo in the rear be a decent set-up for a street ridden bike that will see a lot of canyon carving?

Hi I've been running a pair of diablos, stunning grip, good feel. Back has just been replaced after 6000 front is still good for a while yet. I don't hang around and have found these tyres suit my riding style. Have just put a diablo strada on the back today as don't expect to need as soft a tyre for winter use and will see how this goes, a quick ride to scrub the tyre in seems to feel same as diablo did.

Cheers Gary :bier:

My '02 LeMans just turned 7K miles and I'm still running the OE Bridgestones. The front is badly cupped. The rear looks okay, but the bike doesn't feel as sure footed as it once did. I'm considering the Diablo Corsa's for next season. Anyone with first hand experience feel free to chime in. Should I stick with stock sizes?

60132[/snapback]

Hi there

I didn't even wait for the stock tyres to wear and went straight to the Diablo's. No probs. I felt the original Bridgestones were a bit 'iffy' and considered the Diablos cheap insurance. I stayed with stock sizes.

Not much help to you I'm afraid as I am not a full throttle freak (can't afford the fines) but I like the Diablos.

Cheers

Trevor

Have just put a diablo strada on the back today and will see how this goes, a quick ride to scrub the tyre in seems to feel same as diablo did.

Cheers Gary :bier:

60464[/snapback]

Very good. I'm thinking of Stradas, so am keen to hear how you find it. Do the Stradas have a harder compound in the centre to help maintain profile as the tyre wears, but softer on the edges?

I don't go on tracks (though maybe some sunny day...) and the winter is coming in.

Pirelli claims that the Strada front tire "squee-gee's" out enough water that the rear tire has a clear path to run through.

60755[/snapback]

:!:

The Strada rear has no tread in the center. Pirelli claims that the Strada front tire "squee-gee's" out enough water that the rear tire has a clear path to run through.

60755[/snapback]

FWIW, the Metzeler Z6 is designed the same way, and Metzeler further advises that using the Z6 rear with a non-Z6 front is not good for your health. Well, not exactly; they do strongly advise using the Z6 front/rear combination because of the same reason Pirelli gave.

Pirelli owns Metzeler, and I think the Diablo street tire and the Z6 are the same under the tread. I have Z6s on my Trophy and managed to ride it in an all-day rain the day after they went on. They performed admirably in the rain; not a wiggle, and I'm paranoid about sliding around in the rain.

Same experience here with the BT20's on my V11. I sometimes do it for practice (hit the brakes in the rain to induce an instant slide). Worse, I feel them "give" on turns when I go over a low friction area like a metal joint in an onramp. This thread has convinced me to get new tires ASAP (thanks all).

• 9 months later...
Alex, I enthusiastically agree with all your observations above.  The last place to balk on price is tires!

The Metzeler M1 is my all-time first choice for the kinds of riding I do - for all the reasons you cited.  The security and confidence they provide in marginal "real world" conditions in the mountains, including those unexpected hidden patches of water, sand, "marbles", etc. that can jump out of the shadows is formidable.  For these kinds of conditions on this class of machine, the M1's can't be beat IMHO.   

Just because I had to understand exactly what the differences are, I went to a set of Metz Roadtec Z6 expecting about 50% greater mileage.  I did this also expecting I'd be back on M1's after wearing 'em out.  The jury's still out on these with less than 1K mi on 'em so far, but I've been favorably impressed.  I'm not quite as aggressive on the Z6's, but already have tread wear all the way to the edges and will see what happens when I continue to push 'em harder.  One tiny complaint so far is that I find the rear tends to wander a tad at 90+ mph on the flat.  It's hardly worth mentioning because it's a small thing, just a little annoying, and I'm already used to it.

As always, YMMV :race:

So how is the performance of the Z6 after that time?(Compared if possible with the M1's)

Me , after trying the Pirellis with great dissapointment (Diablo Corsa front _ DragonGTS back) All I can say compared to the M1 at least in terms of Grip was LOUSY especially in the wet. Were not so bad when new but after 2-3k miles were close to dead and lost my confidence on the bike.

Definatelly that was only a test for me since it was the 3rd tyre set I fit into the bike , but now I'll tick bak to the Metzelers. BUT well I have 3 choices.

1. Stick to the 'old' tested M1's , I have found them on a bargn price at my tyre rpovider in Germany (only 225Euros for a set 120-70 + 160-60 )

2. Get the 'new' M3 Sportecs he says they grip better than the M1#s (as well after many miles as reported on tests) they come on 265Euros (no problem a few bucks if it's worthy it)

3. Do a combi and get the 70 profile on the Roadtecs for the back and get either the M1 or the M3 at the front. Drawback with this is that perhaps isn't a good idea to mix different types of tyres (even of the same manufacturer)

So what's your Verdict? or suggestions-

:bier:

P.S.

A 60 profile is also the profile that came stock with a 170 width on my 4.5" rim and the same profile I'm running now with 160 width.  What width rim are you running? :huh2:

The Sporti wears a 4.5'' rim at the back (can't believe i didn't saw that.. :rolleyes: )

The Strada rear has no tread in the center. Pirelli claims that the Strada front tire "squee-gee's" out enough water that the rear tire has a clear path to run through.

60755[/snapback]

Yea...tha'd be nice if your tires took exactly the same line but picturing

following people in the rain I have a vision of two seperate tire tracks from the

guy in front...especially on any kind of corner.

With modern tires I ONLY care about grip in the rain.

I haven't had a tire slide in the DRY in many years.

(No I never had Bridgestones)

I'm running Conti Road Attacks...3rd. set...

I think the Conti Force was actually better in the wet..

Will try them again.