So is there a market?????

pete roper

OK, so if I buy a Griso and slut the donk up a bit and ask Cliff to come on board and design a decent 'pooter and map for the wretched thing do you think that there would be a sufficient aftermarket to make it worthwhile?

As I've said often before 70BHP at the rear wheel is plenty for me but pulling another 20 out of the new donk shouldn't be too hard. Do you think enough people would be interested or am I barking up the wrong tree? Look, neither Cliff or I expect to give up our day jobs providing stuff like this for weirdo, obscure, Italian motorbikes, I dunno if he'd even be interested, but it could be fun and bring in some beer money.

Pete

OK, so if I buy a Griso and slut the donk up a bit and ask Cliff to come on board and design a decent 'pooter and map for the wretched thing do you think that there would be a sufficient aftermarket to make it worthwhile?

As I've said often before 70BHP at the rear wheel is plenty for me but pulling another 20 out of the new donk shouldn't be too hard. Do you think enough people would be interested or am I barking up the wrong tree? Look, neither Cliff or I expect to give up our day jobs providing stuff like this for weirdo, obscure, Italian motorbikes, I dunno if he'd even be interested, but it could be fun and bring in some beer money.

Pete

60419[/snapback]

There's probably more power to be had from ported heads than you'll ever get from messing with the computer. Even with the stock ECU as it will try to accomodate the change in the engine to some (unknown) degree. It's already dual plugged, so at least fussing around with the fuel pressure to sneak around putzing with the map would be effective to some degree.

60419[/snapback]

About the only immediate market I see for the Griso is an aftermarket can; let's face it, after 40 years of development, Guzzi has extracted about all they can from the big block as a reliable, mass production donk. Yes, individuals can extract more power out of it by doing stuff that doesn't make financial sense at the factory level [ported heads, etc.]

I'm more interested in finding out if the Griso's 2->1 headers can be adapted to the V11 Sport derivatives, with smaller dual exhausts or a single rt. side can [to visually balance the headers on the left.]

What did you have in mind? Frankly, I don't see much that can be done w/ the 2 valve heads now that Guzzi's gone the dual-plugged route. Coming out w/ 3-valve head might have had some potential, but I think that would need to come from the factory to be rea$onable...

Ride on!

:bike:

The current can is nothing special in the V11 series. Stick in a 620 x 8 or some such, flow the heads, play around with inlet and exhaust tract lengths, lighten the valvetrain. There's heaps of stuff you can do. Changing the 'pooter per-se won't get much, the nice thing is that Cliff's unit is so flexible you can adapt it's delivery for all sorts of extensive mods without a whole lot of farting about and the MM system is a bit limited unless you have the ability to flashload programs into it. If you're stsrting to do extensive engine mods then you do need to be able to play with the parameters a fair bit, that though is Cliff's field, not mine.

Yes, it will be costly. The thing is that cost seems to be of little concern to some people. The reason I'd do it is because it ould be fun to see what I could get out of it. I don't need much power, I'm the 'Sultan of Slow'! :D

Pete

Methinks Guzzi has a winner here. New ride report here:

Griso review from Motorcycle.com

Subscription only, but if you really want to read it I'll make it available I guess. Also 2 videos of the griso being ridden fairly hard. It looks like it really can corner, too.

Proper bike, by all accounts. I'll certainly give it a try when it gets here. It looks great.

Methinks Guzzi has a winner here.  New ride report here:

Griso review from Motorcycle.com

Subscription only, but if you really want to read it I'll make it available I guess.  Also 2 videos of the griso being ridden fairly hard.  It looks like it really can corner, too.

Proper bike, by all accounts.  I'll certainly give it a try when it gets here.  It looks great.

60498[/snapback]

Since MO's story content is well, mostly junk, & they don't pay their writers with anything more than a byline [yes, I know a guy who used to write for them...] I'm pretty steadfast in my refusal to buy into their overpriced "subscription rate."

I mean, think about it: they have *no* overhead, since their hosting & programming costs are paid for by Bartlett's commercial website [written off by Bartlett's H-D as a biz expense, naturally] and they don't pay their writers, so any subscription monies they receive are pure gravy, along with their ad space in the stories. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me, but the bottom line for me is that they should at least be paying me to read their ads by giving me the stories for free, y'know?

I'm funny that way; I won't pay for a t-shirt w/ somebody else's name on it [A&F, Am. Eagle, H-D, Hollister, whatever the idiot kids are sporting these days], but I'll do it if they give me the shirt for free [ie, pay me to advertise for them by underwriting my annual clothing expenses.]

It all comes down to economics.

So anyway, you can redact the Griso feature & post it here w/ a reasonable amount of quoted content w/o violating fair use, & fan the interest in this new bike. Or not!

:D

:mg:

The current can is nothing special in the V11 series. Stick in a 620 x 8 or some such, flow the heads, play around with inlet and exhaust tract lengths, lighten the valvetrain. There's heaps of stuff you can do.

Pete

60466[/snapback]

Uh, my comment about the exhaust can is that the Griso needs a different one, not that it's going to lead to better perf. because of it's gargantuan [appearing!] volume... After all, it still looks like :vomit: Or was your first sentence a typo?

I was under the impression that the stock cam for the V11 was about the same in/ex overlap & durations as the old B10 perf. cam? Clarification on that rumour, Pete?

Also, how's one supposed to lighten the valve train? I was under the distinct impression that the Guzzi pushrods were already too light (aluminium, subject to mushrooming & battering) & the perf. mod was to go to cro-mo pushrods [slightly heavier, but much stiffer & not subject to shrinkage over time...]?

I think the real perf. question I've got is:

Who makes titanium pushrods & roller cam, lifters & rockers for the V11? And if nobody, why the h#ll not!; they're way overdue...

I guess I'd like to be able to point to certain off-the-shelf small-block Chevy perf. parts & be able to say "These fit the Guzzi motor; let's use them: they're plentiful & cheap and worlds better than the stock parts." I know I'm livin' in a dream world, but when you get right down to it, the general pieces parts are somewhat comparable, & Guzzi could probably save themselves a chunk of production costs by sourcing from the many times larger than themselves Chevy aftermarket...

Just call me "Mr. Off the Wall..." ;-)

:cheese: