Oil filter removal

dmoon64

Do not attempt to get the filter out/off from the spin out access cover, unless you have the proper flute filter wrench/socket. The threads for this cover are very fragile, and if damaged, you will have much trouble spinning the cover back on. Take the pan off, take the factory one off with a scewdriver or pump pliers.

Ciao, Steve G.

I nominate ratchethack to come up with a similar V11 site, with photos, on all of the maintenance, mods, etc that can be done by the common V11 owner.

61083[/snapback]

I'll second any suggestion that doesn't involve me. :D Is there a 'lazy' emoticon?

There's a couple places that data is scattered here and there. RacerX (Todd) runs www.guzzitech.com, which has as a LOT of cool info.

A compendium of sites (I know- it's scattered) is at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Moto-Guzzi-mot...maintenance.htm

I bought all the POS wrenches for the different filters I've tried...  don't waste your money!!

Pull off the pan - the gasket is tough and can be reused several times if you are moderately careful.

Punch screwdriver through filter and spin off.

Voila.

Rj

61030[/snapback]

What he said. I've had the pan gasket last four years before getting to brittle to re-use.

MG Cycle has some nice tools and one of them is ideal for the pan.

All done now. Ended up pulling the sump. Only problem was oil drain bolt fell through the gap in screen and went into the hot oil. Had a couple of beers said screw it and got it out this am. Raining now so I may go for ride this afternoon. Screen was clean and everything fit back like it was made to with no spare parts :)

Maybe a valve adjustment in the future....?

Thanks for the advice.

Guest ratchethack

Congrat's, dmoon64. ^_^:P Ever have a seemingly backward sense of "disappointment" when nothing really "interesting" shows up on the screen? :huh:

Considering this thread and thinking ahead, I just had a flash of what might be something resembling Neanderthal brilliance. :o In the case of not having the correct filter socket on hand, as a "shortcut" to avoid what we all know is the RIGHT THING to do -_- , how about the idea of punching into the old filter with an open needle-nose pliers with both jaws, so that the protruding handles can be used to unscrew it??

Anybody tried this? :huh2:

This thread made me think.

It occurs to me that it isn't getting a new easy spinning filter ON through the pan hole that is the difficulty, it's getting the old stuck one out.

What is needed is a screwdriver than can be inserted axially to pierce and twist off the old can. So, I have come up with the tool illustrated below. It should be used in conjunction with a hammer, followed by a socket and bar.

Don't use it for putting the new one in.

post-1630-1127591041_thumb.jpg

So, shall I refine the CAD model and get some made?

Who would be interested in buying my "Guzzi Keyhole Surgeon Filter Vandalizer"?

I think I will add a protective sleeve to centralise it in the "keyhole" so you get a straight pierce.

Guest ratchethack
Who would be interested in buying my "Guzzi Keyhole Surgeon Filter Vandalizer"?

errr......Well, now that you've developed the idea into 3D Nog, I can just make one up in my shop - But thanks for taking the idea from Neanderthal technology all the way up to the Iron Age. <_< OTOH, your drawing has a distinct Medeival look, so maybe it's actually fairly high-tech... :grin:

how about the idea of punching into the old filter with an open needle-nose pliers with both jaws, so that the protruding handles can be used to unscrew it??

Anybody tried this?  :huh2:

61158[/snapback]

That's how I got my original filter out prior to changing over to Amsoil filters and having the correct filter wrench for those. Whatever works, eh? :blush: