Ballabio headlight update

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

After removing the small fairing and taking the headlight unit apart I have this (see pic) - as you can see it is a one piece unit and is actually 7inches across - unfortunately the lens does not come off so the BMW fix will not work even though the part is indeed available here in the US - it is a lens with a gasket so if you have the headlight which comes apart like that this may work. I had to order a complete unit at a cost of $147 or thereabouts.

Whatever hit the lens must have been pretty hard and fast as I have never had a lens on a bike break like this before!!!

post-1974-1128093561_thumb.jpg

Hmm...that's a bummer. I had planned to go the BMW route the next time I needed a headlight. Didn't realize it was the lens only. I guess I'll order some of this Aerostich stuff up again. It seemed to work well on my old headlight. Does nothing to prevent ham fisted mechanics like me from breaking the back of the headlight though.... :luigi:

Randy

Guest Britcheflee

That is a good point - this certainly seems similar to a regular headlight but knowing my luck there will be something that will not fit one way or another - I just bit the bullet and bought the new unit and I hope that I dont ever have to do it again - when the new part comes I will try and find out where it is made and see if you can order them directly from the company or if there is a similar less expensive part.

lee

As you don't have the larger Sport and Naked headlight, the Ballabio and LeMans might share the same headlight. Can anyone confirm this?

Rob

61808[/snapback]

It looks like they are different part numbers for the Sport: 03 74 0540, the Lemans series: 32 740 0510, and the Ballabio: 32 74 0410. (All USA light numbers)

Don't know if they really are different or if this is just a way to charge different amounts. :huh2:

Randy

It seemed like a shitload of money for a headlight. Googled Bosch headlights, seems they use a 7" one on Porsches, too. Don't know if they will work, but at $38 for the light, and $8 for the bulb, I think it would be worth looking into.

Anyone have a friend with a 911 or 944 that would be willing to let you remove and compare a headlight?

Here is the site: http://www.gprparts.com/brands/bosch/index.asp

Sorry, I have neither the LeMans or the Porsche to check, but I can't imagine Guzzi asking Bosch to make a new light for them... this would seem a logical choice from the existing products side of things.

Ryan