Guest Nogbad

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent 'improvement' referred to the Griso modification BTW  :grin:

Nige.  B)

63336[/snapback]

Gotcha, my apologies. I've never had any problem with taking the sump off to do the filter. It's only 18 little bolts, it's scarcely arduous and you only have to do it, at most, once every 15,000 miles, (Incidentally I've cut open *small* earlier filters that have been on for much, much longer than that and never seen any indication they'd been by-passing.).

Both of my *everyday* rides, (My beloved 'Vert and my LeMans engined SP) have Harpers 'Outsiders', not because I was particularly worried about taking the sump off but because the 'Vert was purchased with one on and the SP needed a sump extension and the cost for the Harpers unit wasn't that much greater when compared to a *standard* sump extension bought locally. They work well and are very convenient but do mean that you don't get to look in the sump to see what's dropped off once in a while. :grin:

I wasn't aware there was an 'outsider' for the V11 series? Certainly apart from anything else I'd expect that slipping in an extra spacer betwixt the factory spacer that holds all the oil cooler thermostat and filter munt and the block would lower the sump to a point where cornering ground clearance would be sorely effected, (It's fairly easy to chamfer a 'Broad Sump' at the best of times! :blush:) and gutter-jumping could be troublesome too! Also Harper's units have the filter at the rear, all the exhaust systems I know of siamese in the area where the filter would sit and the factory system has the 'Pong Box' there.

Pete

If I only need to change the filter every third oil change, I won't feel I really need to bother with an external conversion. I have been changing both every 4000 miles, despite the 6000 interval in the book. That's probably excessive. I guess I shall stay with the 4000 mile oil changes, but only change the filter every 12000.

It's only 18 little bolts, it's scarcely arduous

63353[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure sure it's 14 on the V.11 – so it's an even speedier pit stop.

I wasn't aware there was an 'outsider' for the V11 series?

63353[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure sure Paul has (at least) one and other serious tinkerers have them too.

Also Harper's units have the filter at the rear,

63353[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that all the pics I've seen have the filter at the front. That's why I commented on the possiblilty of it getting holed. It must be right in the line of fire from the front tyre. Imagine the damage that a freshly culled cat could do!

siamese in the area where the filter would sit and the factory system has the 'Pong Box' there.

63353[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that if any feline nuisance is going to sit where the filter would sit, it'll be one of those siamese critters. It's probably attracted by the Pong Box. Kippers?

Think he's talking about one of these

63356[/snapback]

The very thing! There is also a replacement spacer available incorporating an external filter

Belfast,

My SV650 Suzuki had the filter stuck out at the front and never got holed. Never heard of a problem. If you look on Suzuki Club and search for holed oil filter you won't find a single incident.

Nog.

05_MG_Breva_01_600.jpg

So the white bit underneath is the new external filter? Well, well.

"Numerous improvements have been made to the valves too. The seats are now sintered to ensure a constant tappet gap and the latest generation stainless steel exhaust valves are fitted for improved temperature resistance, reduced wear and extended life.

Greater reliability.

The crankcase, oil strainer and sump have all been redesigned to improve lubrication efficiency. The new configuration guarantees regular oil delivery under all conditions, especially during fierce braking and acceleration. Maintenance is easier too, because the oil filter is now external and instantly accessible."

Are they saying that oil delivery was not guaranteed on their previous engines! Pah!

Looks like a pathetic attempt at an external filter to me. Try getting that off when the whole space between the sump pan and filter is full of crud.

Didn't Guzzi's development team even look at the "Deep V" and other aftermarket conversions???

This is an internal filter with the sump pan warped around it to make it external. A bit like what happens when you squeeze a blackhead.

I had thought that the passage of time may have softened me towards the looks of the Breva,but eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerr no.

63363[/snapback]

It's disgusting looking, especially from that angle. What is that huge jerrycan doing behind the engine??

Belfast,

My SV650 Suzuki had the filter stuck out at the front and never got holed. Never heard of a problem. If you look on Suzuki Club and search for holed oil filter you won't find a single incident.

Nog.

63360[/snapback]

No, but I did find this:

"d: 14/03/2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged

Hi *Tiny,

I need to find the thread details to put a sandwich plate in between the Suzuki filter and the engine."

I mean, honestly! I know someone recently bought a Guzzi with a minature lunch box cable-tied to their bottom frame, but if Suzuki guys are stuffing plates of sandwiches into the oil system...

Actually, it just strikes me, there might be method in their madness. They must use the sandwiches to plug the holes in their oil filters! See. Proof. The things are being holed all over the place.

PS, is *that your name on the Suzi Forum?

No, but I did find this:

"d: 14/03/2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged

Hi *Tiny,

I need to find the thread details to put a sandwich plate in between the Suzuki filter and the engine."

I mean, honestly! I know someone recently bought a Guzzi with a minature lunch box cable-tied to their bottom frame, but if Suzuki guys are stuffing plates of sandwiches into the oil system...

Actually, it just strikes me, there might be method in their madness. They must use the sandwiches to plug the holes in their oil filters! See. Proof. The things are being holed all over the place.

PS, is *that your name on the Suzi Forum?

63366[/snapback]

Nope. My name on the Suzi forum is entirely different, but I use the same avatar

It's disgusting looking, especially from that angle. What is that huge jerrycan doing behind the engine??

63365[/snapback]

The huge jerry-can is the bit that houses the catalytic converter :vomit: Into the bin with it, instantly!!!!!!!

Unless I'm very much mistaken Paul's bike and most of the other V11's that have external filters are using the 'V' sump which is the one with the filter at the front. While i can see people being a bit concerned about that lets face it, an awful lot of Jap 4's have had the filter in just such a position for years, (Or at least they did the last time I looked but I don't look at them very often!) and I can't ever remember there being a problem with them getting holes in them from wheel flung debris.

There have been a number of changes to the pick-up and delivery system on the *new* motor and the sump is positively full of pipes and crap to the point it amazes me that there is enough room in there for sufficient oil :grin: . At least they have admitted that there IS an oil starvation problem on the V11's under hard acceleration, which begs the question that if they knew about it why didn't they install some sort of baffling system or windage tray :moon:

Pete

Nope. My name on the Suzi forum is entirely different, but I use the same avatar

63368[/snapback]

Yep. That's what I said – see the little asterisk thing. You call yourself Tiny, for some reason.