External Oil Filter

Guest Nogbad

Unless I'm very much mistaken Paul's bike and most of the other V11's that have external filters are using the 'V' sump which is the one with the filter at the front.

63370[/snapback]

Right – you were only talking about the extension, rather than the deep V.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he's talking about one of these

63356[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read on this site, if this sump is used the stock kick-stand mount will not bolt on or something to that effect.

Can someone explain what the problem is and what the fix is.

Mike

Yep. That's what I said – see the little asterisk thing. You call yourself Tiny, for some reason.

63372[/snapback]

No I don't! Tiny is someone entirely different!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read on this site, if this sump is used the stock kick-stand mount will not bolt on or something to that effect.

Can someone explain what the problem is and what the fix is.

Mike

63409[/snapback]

One of the mounting points for the sidestand is lost. I think it's an easy fix to put an adapter plate in- Paul and Mike S. have posted pictures of the adapter.

Gotcha, my apologies. I've never had any problem with taking the sump off to do the filter. It's only 18 little bolts, it's scarcely arduous and you only have to do it, at most, once every 15,000 miles, (Incidentally I've cut open *small* earlier filters that have been on for much, much longer than that and never seen any indication they'd been by-passing.).

Oh Crikey no need for an apology....Just me rushing too much and not making my intent clear :blush:

Reference the coming loose angle...To be honest, if it was a major issue, I'm sure we would have heard of more instances of it.

Harper's units have the filter at the rear, all the exhaust systems I know of siamese in the area where the filter would sit and the factory system has the 'Pong Box' there.

Pete

63353[/snapback]

Yes, that has to be probably the neatest place to siamese, restricts options for sticking an oil filter in there I suppose. Personally, I never have had any problem with dropping the sump off. I like to keep an eye on what is going on in there on a routine basis.

That said I am not particulary impressed with the V11 sump variation....Seems neither fish nor fowl. :huh: When I cam to do my first oil / filter change I investigated the situation...Found a tool to undo the inspection plate. Undid that...OK so far...I had already bought an aftermarket 'socket' to remove the filter. Offered it up, would it budge ....would it **** ! :angry: Right Can't get a strap wrench on.....b*****r! :bbblll: Right I just hope the sump comes off with the filter in situ......Right...Got a break there.... :) .......Strap wrench.....Nuffink! :( Just slips round.....Chain wrench...same again. :moon: Right big chuffing screwdriver through it....Nearly tore it in half but finally it came undone.....The little sod put up a fair fight there :D

Got a dab of grease on the threads on the new un......Hope it don't fall orft! :huh:

Nige. B)

not so ugly on my bike.

Who saysmy bike is ugly :angry2:

it is a 4L one, never a problem.

could use the first daytona fixation point for the side stand like i did.

supertwin-trofeorosso2005.jpg