MG ti exhausts

windchill

We obviously have too much time and/or too little to do!!

Anyway, for one reason or another, my dealer fitted the cans whilst fixing the gearbox as a goodwill gesture, and scratched them in the process by re-bending the straps to come off the top of the can rather than from offcentre to the inside.

Question is, what can I use to polich out/re-brush the finish? I've tried a light wire brush on my dremmel, but that seems to "pick up" the surface.

Help!!!

65712[/snapback]

You may try some fine sandpaper first around 400 then 600 grit then 1000 grit using wd 40 as a "lubricant" then finish with a hand held brass wire brush. I restored a titanium exhaust can on my sons cbr that way. The results werent 100%, but it removed the scratches, and looked pretty darn good. Good luck, let us know how it goes.. :mg:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice. 1000 grade wet and dry did the job perfectly: or at least removed the worst of the marks and restored the "brushed" look to the surface.

I also took the advice about reversing the odd little hanger brackets to get the straps further up the cans: what an improvement! Mind you, I can't help wondering why on earth they went to the trouble of inventing such an "Heath Robinson" solution: surely it would not have cost any more to cast a proper set of replsacement hangers, utilising the correct hole centres for the existing frame bosses.

The only further mod I did was to machine a pair of 2mm thicker spacers out of 316 stainless to "throw" the cans out a bit further.

To get the very best line and level, matching on both sides, I spend time re-bending the hangers to fit the profile of the cans, and had to take a little bit off the back corner of the RHS pillion footrest to stop it fouling the can when moved from vertical to horizontal.

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly. <_>

Then again,maybe not. :huh2:

With it being a big old v twin you're going to get movement somewhere,it might be an idea to allow the clamp to move slightly on its' mount?

Is the exhast rubber mounted or solid?

Possibly. <_>

Then again,maybe not. :huh2:

With it being a big old v twin you're going to get movement somewhere,it might be an idea to allow the clamp to move slightly on its' mount?

Is the exhast rubber mounted or solid?

68251[/snapback]

Mine doesnt move, be sure that the clamps from the front tube is tightened, and check that the rubber mount hasnt slipped off when assembling. mine did...

another thing. put on the springs first, THEN tighten the steel band to the brackets/rear footrests.

The cans actuall seem quite loos in the steel bands, even though we have carefully re-shaped to fit better. There is plenty of scope for movement.

I am goint to try lining the top of the hanger straps with carbon or something.

The cans actuall seem quite loos in the steel bands, even though we have carefully re-shaped to fit better. There is plenty of scope for movement.

68426[/snapback]

Thats wierd, my straps fit rather tight on the cans ,they actually put a small indentation on the cans when I tightened them down. Mine mounted real solid in the stock position, no wiggle at all. :bike:

• 2 weeks later...

Stripped mine down last weekend, to find that both sides appear to move. The Right side can (viewed from on top of the bike) has moved BACK about 6mm (1/4") to leave a very big mark near the top of the oval shape where the two sides of the strap meet to connect to the hanger.

The left side has moved less: the markin has only occurred UNDER the straps.

I've dressed all the edges, and tried to put self adhesive carbon weave under the top of the straps to create some clearence now, but would really appreciate some advice.

could the movment be thermal expansion?

Stripped mine down last weekend, to find that both sides appear to move. The Right side can (viewed from on top of the bike) has moved BACK about 6mm (1/4") to leave a very big mark near the top of the oval shape where the two sides of the strap meet to connect to the hanger.

The left side has moved less: the markin has only occurred UNDER the straps.

I've dressed all the edges, and tried to put self adhesive carbon weave under the top of the straps to create some clearence now, but would really appreciate some advice.

could the movment be thermal expansion?

69753[/snapback]

HI YOU WILL BE PLAYING FOR WEEKS TO GET IT RIGHT ? I HAD TO CUT THE LEFT SIDE CROSSOVER 2CM TO GET THE PIPES LEVEL,

100_5221.JPG

68426[/snapback]

The Guzzi works Skorpion Titaniums that I have have a rubber liner on them going all around the can. Seems to work very well.

Nige. B)