Gear Lash

Guest Arie

Guest ratchethack

Dave, leverage against cable drag from the perspective of the throttle return springs has decreased at low throttle opening angles, if this is what you're referring to. But it's nothing to be concerned about. The stock throttle return springs are more'n enough to overcome it at all throttle opening angles. BTW, there's an added benefit here - decreased wrist fatigue on long trips. B)

Now at WOT (for those in Oz and/or across the pond who might not savvy Yank acronyms, WOT = WFO :lol: ), the leverage against cable drag from the perspective of the throttle return springs is GREATER than stock. In this regard, it's a safer setup than stock, because the springs have an easier and easier task overcoming cable drag approaching WOT. So it actually decreases the probability of sticking the throttle where you most don't want it stuck. ;) No change to normal lubing of the cable called for. :thumbsup:

I started out with bigger wheels, as they work the best in terms of providing ultra-fine throttle control. This was my primary objective with this thing. But the largest radius wheels couldn't achieve WOT because they required more travel than the twist grip could provide, even with the cable end at the twist-grip in it's "long travel" position. (There are 2 cam profiles available inside the twist grip housing.)

For the final rev., I had only decreased the radius at idle by a few mm from the largest of my "large wheel" designs. By working on the progressive curve contour, I arrived at the *magical* trade-off point where the TBs reach WOT at the exact point where the twist grip runs out of travel. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Arie-

Craig here - GuzziEagle - We met in front of Scudderia last Sunday.

Here's a picture of my bike and my lovely wife. It should look familiar.

I'm surprised the discussion of lash hasn't included tuning (or did I miss that).

I think the feeling of lash is partly the ECU/fuel injection and partly the tune of the engine.

I would be interested to try the snail curve cam - but I'm not going to make one.

Sometimes when I need to ajdust the valves the lash seems much worse.

If I put the bike in gear, first through sixth, and rock back and forth against the gears, the lash seems minimal. I think it would be hard to engineer a trans, driveshaft and rearend with less. And, after a while, you adjust to it.

Hope to see you on the road.

Craig

CnCwithMG.jpg