New Speedo Drive Prep

P3GA

[/i][/size]

There's a speedo shop here in Atlanta that has a pretty good reputation. I'm going to inquire about making up a longer cable, an additional 6" - 9" of length should ease the bends the cable has to make, or at least I hope so. I'll also check on the possibility of replacing the Veglia speedo with something a bit more reliable.

65390[/snapback]

Didn't Guzzi already do this w/ a replacement part# that supersedes the old cable? I think it was posted somewhere on V11LM last sprin...

On the topic of reproducing gears... don't we have enuff gear- & wire-heads around here to come up w/ our own sol'n. to this long-standing Guzzi deficiency? I'm thinking a direct drive sensor on the top of the cases (where the angle drive presently plugs in), a pair of small guage leads up to the speedo, & a little stepper motor or somesuch plugged into the back to drive it. Completely eliminate the cable!

Heck, maybe a little 6v bicycle generator [you know, the kind that used to clamp on the frame and be driven by the tire, w/ a little spring catch to hold it in place/out of the way?] for a nite-lite, coupled w/ a matching slot-car motor on the back of the speedo! Seems like it couldn't be too much less accurate than the existing set of problems... ;)

:luigi::nerd::mg:

Thanks for all the points. I'm happy to report that the new angle drive went on without a hitch. The old unit had shit itself, the gears inside were pretty torn up.

Now, like many others, I'm back to the same spot I was 4 months ago - a speedo needle that bounces with forward progress, and produces an audible click when wheeling it backwards (to position it in the garage).

I hear speedo cables are enroute from the old country - maybe just in time for the spring '07 riding season.

Anyone have a lead on longer speedo cables? Might make a nice stocking stuffer for myself. I had heard that a cable from a Suzuki DR-Z would work, haven't chased that down yet.

Thanks,

Phil

65333[/snapback]

How much did the angle drive cost? Ive heard the price on those things is higher than a cats ass...... :rolleyes:

Its not really the price of a cats ass that  is high , It is its  location on the cat, they usually sit way up high! HeHeHe  :grin:  :P

65550[/snapback]

:lol:

Off somewhere there is a thread showing the body of these bevel drives pulling lose from their bases. This definately contributes to the bumping needle and the lash can't be good for the internals. Good news is they can pressed back together easily. :thumbsup:

Didn't Guzzi already do this w/ a replacement part# that supersedes the old cable? I think it was posted somewhere on V11LM last sprin...

On the topic of reproducing gears... don't we have enuff gear- & wire-heads around here to come up w/ our own sol'n. to this long-standing Guzzi deficiency? I'm thinking a direct drive sensor on the top of the cases (where the angle drive presently plugs in), a pair of small guage leads up to the speedo, & a little stepper motor or somesuch plugged into the back to drive it. Completely eliminate the cable!

Heck, maybe a little 6v bicycle generator [you know, the kind that used to clamp on the frame and be driven by the tire, w/ a little spring catch to hold it in place/out of the way?] for a nite-lite, coupled w/ a matching slot-car motor on the back of the speedo! Seems like it couldn't be too much less accurate than the existing set of problems... ;)

:luigi:  :nerd:  :mg:

65426[/snapback]

Heck, let's go with something proven & just drive the Veglia off the front wheel, like Ducati's of a few years ago, or as most of the Japanese manufacturer's have for the last 30 years.. in any case, there's got to be a better way. Any speedo shop worth a grain of salt can calibrate an exisitng speedo to account for changes that one would make, as long as the changes brought results that were consistent and repeatable.

How much did the angle drive cost? Ive heard the price on those things is higher than a cats ass......  :rolleyes:

65519[/snapback]

Approx $125 if you can find one. Add $5.00 for JB Weld to glue the bottom brass to the plastic housing.