torque head bolts ?

Guest trispeed

Guest trispeed

Hello good and knowledgeable people.

2004 V11 Sport Naked

Is it necessary to re-torque the head bolts before adj. valve clearance for the initial ( 600 mi.) service?

I can't find anything in the service literature that mentions it as regular maintainence. Thanks!

There have been enough opinions to retourque the heads that I feel remiss having not done so at 40,000 miles.

After my whupp-slamm-slide 13,000 miles ago I found I had to adjust the slamside valves more than the offside a couple of times (4000 mile adjustment intervals).

Good question: what is the interval for head retourquing and is this affected by a tip-over against the head guard?

Guest ratchethack
Hello good and knowledgeable people.

2004 V11 Sport Naked

Is it necessary to re-torque the head bolts before adj. valve clearance for the initial ( 600 mi.) service?

I can't find anything in the service literature that mentions it as regular maintainence. Thanks!

64503[/snapback]

Trispeed, this is another area where opinions will vary. While it's probably not necessary on the Guzzi, it's always been my preference to do it on every engine, new or rebuilt. I did it myself on my Sport. If you do it, make sure it's done before the valve adj. It's a one-time deal only after new head gaskets, not a regular maintenance thing, so it won't appear in the maint. schedules. :helmet:

Guest trispeed

thanks a lot! I am champing at the bit anticipating my Nov. 11 track day at Willow Springs. Hope it's at least 40 degrees out!

Guest trispeed

I decided to go ahead and check; there were 4 bolts with around 20 lb/ft . Glad I did the job now!

2004 V11 sport with 650 miles