Help the newbi!!

Guest Gregory grasshopper

I've had bikes for donkies years, had a 1000S for a few years and recently got an 01 Le Mans that's done 7,500 miles.

I've looked through FAQ's but it isn't specific about these things for me.

Suspension settings. Previous owner was about 10 stone and was inbetween Ducatis, so hard=good in his eyes.

I'm 16 stone - what settings should I try? never had to fiddle with adjustable whatsits. The suspension seems stock, other than a blue anodised spacer under the rear shock thats about 10--12 mm.

Mine doesn't seem to have any of the 3k weak running or stalling at idle, but then again I have been used to PHM 40's with the stock throttle return springs!

and what (if anything) can I do about the rev counter misting up? Only happened now it's got a bit damp oop t'north.

In Gambalunga it suggests drilling a tiny hole in the casing, which seems sensible.

Thanks in anticipation.

I've had bikes for donkies

and what (if anything) can I do about the rev counter misting up? Only happened now it's got a bit damp oop t'north.

In Gambalunga it suggests drilling a tiny hole in the casing, which seems sensible.

Thanks in anticipation.

64575[/snapback]

On the last question:

It's been discussed lots – you must have 'missed' it. I have tried drilling holes in various places, which did indeed seem sensible, but it has made no difference at all. One objective in the hole drilling was to make the tacho plastic & metal casings as identical to the speedo as possible – as the speedo doesn't mist.

It remains a mist ery.

64575[/snapback]

I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do it soon. Apparently the fix is to remove the tach and place it in an oven upside-down, heat it up (not too much) for a short while - this will allow the moisture to escape via the bottom of the tach. The top (face) must be well-sealed (which is a good thing as no more moisture should be able to get back in). Maybe the tachs are assembled in a jungle somewhere...?

Apparently the fix is to remove the tach and place it in an oven upside-down, heat it up (not too much) for a short while - this will allow the moisture to escape via the bottom of the tach.  The top (face) must be well-sealed (which is a good thing as no more moisture should be able to get back in).  Maybe the tachs are assembled in a jungle somewhere...?

64584[/snapback]

No. Waste of time. Take it out in the cold and the moisture gets straight back in again.

Gregory

Please feel welcome to come along to the next meeting of the Pennine Branch of the Moto Guzzi Club- always meet 2nd Monday of the month. Normally a few V11 owners you can chat too and have a look at what they have done to their bikes and how they have fixed their problems.

Details on www.penninebranch.co.uk

We have a fish and chip run from Skipton to Whitby on Sunday weather permitting-details on the website. May be cancelled if weather is very poor.

Regards

Guy :helmet:

The suspension seems stock, other than a blue anodised spacer under the rear shock thats about 10--12 mm.

64575[/snapback]

This is the rebound damping adjuster. It should be there. You have the Sachs-Boge shock.

Gregory

Please feel welcome to come along to the next meeting of the Pennine Branch of the Moto Guzzi Club- always meet 2nd Monday of the month. Normally a few V11 owners you can chat too and have a look at what they have done to their bikes and how they have fixed their problems.

We have a fish and chip run from Skipton to Whitby on Sunday weather permitting-details on the website. May be cancelled if weather is very poor.

Regards

Guy  :helmet:

64598[/snapback]

Does the rain make the newspaper soggy and you can't run carrying wet fish and chips?

Gregory

Regards

Guy  :helmet:

64598[/snapback]

Thanks Guy, I'll go on the site and see if I can meet up. Life is a bit hectic just now, but i'll do my best.

Any offers on adjustments for the front fork? conventional wisdom seems to be to leave them at the weakest setting - seems odd to have these two on offer, but no pre-loading of springs.

had bikes for donkies years

it's got a bit damp oop t'north

In Gambalunga it suggests

fish and chip run from Skipton to Whitby

rather be at home polishing their clogs

WTF ? Would somebody please translate into FREAKIN english???

Tie in the universal translator Sulu.... Sulu.. .. Yohoo ! Sulu..

alas, it seems poor Sulu is off shopping on a different floor now..

Beam him up Scotty !

WTF ?  Would somebody please translate into FREAKIN english???

65120[/snapback]

had bikes for donkies years

Eng trans: 'Had biccies for donkey's ears'

in other words, as a child, he had prominent ears – like a donkey. Kindly folks gave the lad biscuits to comfort him.

it's got a bit damp oop t'north

Eng trans:

Now that he's older, he's also got water on the brain.

In Gambalunga it suggests

Eng trans:

Gambalunga = a kind of Neverland, where bikers never grow up.

fish and chip run from Skipton to Whitby

Eng trans:

A phrase that means, 'stating the obvious'.

I.e. everyone knows that anyone would run from Skipton, even a fish wot don't even have any legs.

rather be at home polishing their clogs

Eng trans:

clogs is rhyming slang for dogs

polishing is difficult to tranlate

Thanks Guy, I'll go on the site and see if I can meet up. Life is a bit hectic just now, but i'll do my best.

Any offers on adjustments for the front fork? conventional wisdom seems to be to leave them at the weakest setting - seems odd to have these two on offer, but no pre-loading of springs.

65095[/snapback]

Well in terms of adjustment these things are a matter of taste and riding style but I will tell you what I did with Helen's V11 which I think has the same 40mm Marzocchis as you with rebound adjustment on one leg and compression on the other.

Basically when we bought it second hand there was hardly any damping- the monkey who had it before had nearly maxxed out all the adjustments and it was actually dangerous- skipping all over the place on bumps and was harsh as hell with hardly any movement.

I simply backed everything off to minimum settings- took it for a test ride and gave it a couple of clicks on each and now its civilised- still may give it a bit more on rebound because its bumpy round here and I'd like to dampen it a bit more.

Hope this helps

Guy :helmet:

I'm glad that all got sorted out in the end.

Didn't get chance to go for a spin today, as although it was mafting, sadly it was also coming down like stair rods.

Hopefully get out soon to try these new settings and get some new biccies for my ears. If the front's got less skittery i'll be like a puff with two arses.