MG Ti's no 2

mdude

Gentlemen

Yesterday I had a perfect garage evening, disassembled the old heavy original exhaust, and put on my new Titanium kit. Pretty straightforward, but I have to say that I am not impressed with fit and finish. Especially the steel fastening bands was a poor solution, the ears on them were bent in all directions by some unsensitive gorilla before they were packed.

BUT: the right pipe is 2,5-3 cms shorter than the the left one, when looking down from above in relation to the indicators. Anyone encountered this? Dont really know how to fix it since the pipes themselves are equal and the outgoing pipe on the expansion box were the same length. Should I just blame the MG-factor on this, shut my trap and ride on?

It was also very difficult to get the pipes aligned viewing from rear, because of the general bentness of the rubber covered bands (which sounds like a record of the Beatles, but is not). They dont actually seem to fit to well.

So that is this nights task; aligning and unbending. Got good clues from another thread here with the same name.

By the way, the sound was purrfect, and the engine seemed to go smoother with the new ECU, of course I had to start it – at midnight in a garage under my block...

BUT: the right pipe is 2,5-3 cms shorter than the the left one, when looking down from above in relation to the indicators. Anyone encountered this? Dont really know how to fix it since the pipes themselves are equal and the outgoing pipe on the expansion box were the same length. Should I just blame the MG-factor on this, shut my trap and ride on?

65839[/snapback]

If you look at the engine carefully, you will see one cylinder is nearer the front than the other. If the pipes are to be the same length for each cylinder, they will need to end at different places relative to the bike. Just for cosmetic purposes, the lengths are equalised by the x-over/silencers.

mike

Now that I've had a replacement can for the right side, I'm going to try reversing the grotty little hanger brackets to move the straps further up the body of the silence itself.

They do seem very diificult to get right, but, having said that, I had a similar problem fitting a pair of Scorpion cans to my, very symmetrical, Triumph Daytona.

Persever I think, and don't scratch the Ti, cos nobody seems to know how to mend it!

You're right, fit and finish isn't great for such expensive items. Sound is quite fine though and the bike runs well: probably the way that it should be supplied in the first place.

There are at least a couple of threads with some photos about different approaches to positioning the pipes. They can be got into pretty good shape with a bit of work and learning from others' mistakes (no names, no pack drill).

I'll see if I can find some.

Mdude,

Look carefully at the connector tubes. There is a right (D)and there is a left (S). Until I got that sorted out I had trouble. Also, the instructions make mention of how to align the bands on the can. They say you need to line up the band (where the two ends meet) with the rivets to the inside of the pipe. I wasn't careful enough and now I have a tiny dent in my right can. Hardly noticable but it still bumbed me out. You have to make up some kind of spacer to swing the cans wider at the mounting point or they point in too much at the back. I used the rubber gromlet from the oem hangers and 3 washers (kinda cheezy but it works).

Rocketman

DSC02807.JPG

thanks for advice Rocketman, the rubber gromlet and reverse hanger tips are good'uns. it also keeps the indicators away from being melted by the exhaust outlets. I have seen this happen.

I probably didnt look good enough on the outlet pipes, and fitted left on right, and vice versa. loads of good advice, thanks everyone. gonna dive down into the garage tonight and bring a whole bucket of elbow grease with me.

Done it!!

Reversed the **itty little brackets (why go to all that bother? They could just have easily made hangers that work and use the original holes), carefully shaped the straps to the cans (having first wrapped the cans in masking tape so as not to scratch them in the process), and used slightly oversize (+2mm thick) 316s/s spacers.

The only thing I had to do was slighltly dress the bottom corner of the RHS pillion peg, which, at the very best (= nicest looking) can angle, fouled slightly on opening. If time permits, I may try thicker spacers again.

The cans now look stunning!!

Mind you, they don't sound as good as no cans at all!!!!

Thanks for all the advice - for once I love my Guz!!! :thumbsup:

Will post some pictures shortly

And from the other end

66519[/snapback]

Looks good Windchill. Hmmm...Looks just like mine. May I say, you have good taste in motorcycles, red and black LeMans. Looks like you need to take it out and get it dirty.

Rocketman