pawl spring broken?

gallo_se

I just celebrated 15000km and there we go, the gearshift is blocked in 2nd gear. The shift is moving but the gears do not change, I can feel a hard "clack" when moving down and then up again. I followed briefly the different discussions and I finally think that it is the spring broken, mine is a early 2003 Le Mans, so it might have the 16mm boll. Thanks to BelfastGuzzi I have a reliable idea of what to do, and although I will not do the substitution myself I will go tho the garage with all the spare parts and knowledge required to do the job. Unfortunately there's not any Moto Guzzi dealer in Dublin, only a mechanic that stopped working on Moto Guzzi more than 10 years ago, hope that he will be able to fix it. In the case it's not the spring, what else could it be?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the pawl spring broke. Same symptoms. If it does have wrong size boss seems like it lasted a lot of miles - think they usually show up earlier.

Could be something else but easiest to to look inside sideplate to be sure anyhow.

If you're ordering parts before looking, may as well have the three different springs to hand - they're pretty cheap.

KB :sun:

Are you still in warranty? Can't remember if you said before where the bike came from.

65884[/snapback]

I would have the warranty from the dealer, which is 1300km away across the Irish sea, so I think I'll get the springs and have them changed in Dublin. Wednesday I am approaching to remove the gearshift, go to the mechanic and have the boll reduced and the spring changed.

I would have the warranty from the dealer, which is 1300km away across the Irish sea, so I think I'll get the springs and have them changed in Dublin. Wednesday I am approaching to remove the gearshift, go to the mechanic and have the boll reduced and the spring changed.

66419[/snapback]

The point is that you should be able to get the parts supplied (posted to you) under warranty from the dealer and then you can fit them or get them fitted.

Wellcome in the club of broken pawl springs, Gallo Se :luigi:

At least you managed to cover more than 2000 kms, which was the time my spring went south....

Good luck with the recovery.

Cheers

Søren

15000!! I've had three in less than 2000 miles!!!! 15mm boss and a new spring is the answer. Remember to dress the spring "bearing" point though: I reckon it might be worth a few extra miles in the future.

Is that "gallo" as in nice Swedish redwood?

Just curious if my spring holds the record at 42,000 km?

I've never won anything before in my life,

maybe I can get an award button like a quiz point :D

maybe they'll want to enshrine my Tenni in Mandello? :mg:

course I've prolly jinxed myself again :(

maybe I shift gears like a girl :blush:

15000!! I've had three in less than 2000 miles!!!! 15mm boss and a new spring is the answer. Remember to dress the spring "bearing" point though: I reckon it might be worth a few extra miles in the future.

Is that "gallo" as in nice Swedish redwood?

66522[/snapback]

OK, I am very slow -minded today, but I didn't understand any of the two things you wrote, what do you mean to "dress the spring bearing point?

gallo in italian is the name for the celtic population that lived in the north part of italy before the romans came, or the name of the male chicken, but in my case it is the first that i mean, what about the swedish redwood?

what do you mean to "dress the spring bearing point?

66649[/snapback]

Where the spring hooks over the plate is quite a rough finish, which may hasten the demise of the spring.

12spgouge.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpgThe indent is where the spring hook has gouged into the steel.

It's worth cleaning-up. I also re-profiled the area, but that was mostly because I re-used the broken spring, which was then shorter.

14profile2.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Belfast, you really deserve those "brownie points". Thanks for the pictirial explanation.

GALLO is actuall a very good Swedish (SE) Sawmill that I used to buy from!! Wonder where they got the name from?

66669[/snapback]

OK, Gallo is also a very popular italian surname

foto_compressa0001.JPG

foto_compressa0005.JPG

OK, I had the gearshift removed last saturday, this is lhow it looks like and how the gear looks like

My guess was right, the pawl spring broke

foto_compressa0003.JPG

I will have the spring changed and the ratchet boss reduced, I don't feel confident in doing it myself and hope the problem is solved then.

foto_compressa0006.JPG

These are tools that helped a little in removing the gearshift

It happened actually that when removing the gearshift by mistake I unscrewed this screw here from the outside, and I don't know anymore the right position, can someone help me?

foto_compressa0002.JPG

There is info somewhere about setting the eccentric adjuster. (Posted about a month ago?)

But hang on – are you sure that you have the parts in the right positions? In the photo, is that the eccentric adjuster, sitting there? Perhaps back to front? Surely that is where the roll pin goes? It is a stop for the pawl arm.

You also need to get those two big toothed rings in exactly the right position – the right relationship to each other, when you put it all back together. Check the F.A.Q. for more info.

I'm a bit confused by your photo. Check this thread, which has a photo and the exploded diagram in it. Check here

Edit: Yes, I think that's the eccentric screw that you must have screwed the lock-nut off and then screwed it right out of the casing. That end should be on th eoutside of the case. Do you still have the little roll-pin?

Are you sure the spring is broken? It looks like it could be ok?

Another Edit: actually, sorry, it probably is broken. In the photo it looked like it is still in place but there is only one turn showing in the coil. Did the hooked end break off?