pawl spring broken?

gallo_se

foto_compressa0002.JPG

OK, when you open the cover and look into it this is th right orientation. And yes, it is the eccentric screw that stops the spring arm.

I know that the two toothed rings have a phase, the mechanic I brought the gearshift marked t and I know that I have to place it seta in the neutral gear, which is marked by the pin and the little hole in the toothed ring.

The spring is broken, I found the piece at the bottom of the tank, in the oil, and there are also some more metallic fragments.

I'll have a look at the tread, thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

foto_compressa0002.JPG

OK, when you open the cover and look into it this is th right orientation. And yes, it is the eccentric screw that stops the spring arm.

I know that the two toothed rings have a phase, the mechanic I brought the gearshift marked t and I know that I have to place it seta in the neutral gear, which is marked by the pin and the little hole in the toothed ring.

The spring is broken, I found the piece at the bottom of the tank, in the oil, and there are also some more metallic fragments.

I'll have a look at the  tread, thanks.

67278[/snapback]

Re. eccentric screw:

But it's in the wrong place (as far as I can see).

I think that the piece you found might be the roll pin that could have dropped out when the case was taken apart. In your photo, the spring seems to be in place ok and therefore, presumably, not broken. Can you post a photo of the spring and/or the piece that you found?

I had added this edit note to my previous post, but you might not have seen it as it's on the previous page (on my browser anyway):

"Another Edit: actually, sorry, it probably is broken. In the photo it looked like it is still in place but there is only one turn showing in the coil. Did the hooked end break off?"

foto_compressa0004.JPG

This is the broken piece I found in the gearbox, unfortunately I don't have a better picture of the ratchet with the broken spring on it.

When I said that I unscrewed the eccentric screw I ment that it was not tight anymore and I turned it right and left a couple of times from outside so that I don't remember the exact position, but I didn't unscrew it completely so that it fell off.

That looks like the end of the pawl spring. Normally they snap at 90deg but your's has broken further round. You can see in other pick spring is broken.

What were the other fragments you found in the case?

KB :sun:

Hi Gallo

I posted another edit yesterday to say, "Another Edit: actually, sorry, it probably is broken. In the photo it looked like it is still in place but there is only one turn showing in the coil. Did the hooked end break off?", but you may not have seen it as it was on the previous page. I should have put it in one of the later posts.

I'm still puzzled by that screw. Does anyone else think it's in the wrong place?

The eccentric adjuster should be in the slot in the shift plate (don't know its proper name).

See this picture, top left corner. That's what should be there.

24spring3on.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

There was a recent discussion about the roll pin being loose and coming out. That was the thread I gave the link to earlier. see here

Do you have anything in the place where the adjuster screw should be?

Do you want to take out the one that you have pictured and photograph its profile. That should clarify what it is.

....I'm still puzzled by that screw. Does anyone else think it's in the wrong place?....

Belfast,

Looks like Gallo's bike has an adjustable stop for the pawl arm. Interesting :wacko: !! Like yours, mine has a plain dowel there. The parts diagram does not show either!

Anyone else got one of these?

The eccentric adjuster for the shift plate is there - you can see it in his photo.

What # is your Scura Gallo (not that it necessarily means anything)? Has the plate been off before?

Belfast,

Looks like Gallo's bike has an adjustable stop for the pawl arm. Interesting :wacko: !! Like yours, mine has a plain dowel there. The parts diagram does not show either!

67399[/snapback]

Yes, possibly! That's why I wanted to check that the shift adjuster is actually in place, where it should be. In that case, it seems that an adjuster was, at some stage, added to the pawl shift!

Why?

...Why?...

To control the pawl arm travel for each bike to optimise change, in conjunction with lower adj screw? You wouldn't think it necessary even with Guzzi's manuf tolerances. Can just imagine these being set up properly 4pm on a Friday..."sod it let's just put in this bit of rod..." or perhaps they ran out....But given the problems in this area it's interesting. Wonder what earlier V11's had here. Strange that parts diag doesn't show either plain pin or eccentric.

To control

to optimise 

67430[/snapback]

harumph

Wonder what earlier V11's had here.

67430[/snapback]

Must be the pin – the discussion re dislocated pin was on a 2000 V.11

Guest ratchethack

With apologies to June Carter Cash. -_-

Will The Pawl Spring Be Unbroken

I was riding my V11 Guzzi

On a dark and dismal day

I missed an upshift right at redline

Thought I’d blown my transmission away

Will the pawl spring be unbroken

Bye and bye Lord bye and bye

There's a better spring a-waiting

In the cabinet in my garage

Crying, Mr. Roper! Mr. Roper!

Please, oh, please say it ain’t so

Have I grenaded my dogs and muffs

At the side of this lonesome old road?

Well I opened the old cog box

Tried to hold up and be brave

But I could not find my pawl spring

It had gone to an early grave

I pushed her home Lord that home was lonesome

Since my pawl spring, she was gone

All my sobbing and my crying

Didn’t help get that new spring installed

Will the pawl spring be unbroken

Bye and bye Lord bye and bye

There's a better spring a-waiting

In the cabinet in my garage

With apologies to June Carter Cash. -_-

Don't get me started.

Have you any idea how many songs and poems there are that refer to spring?

Well, I might just list them...

Looks like you could easily fit the new adjustable stop to the old cover though. My box is ok apart from the pedal sticking down occasionally until you re-engage the clutch.