Short V11 Le Mans Windscreen ??

Guest JohnInNH

Guest JohnInNH

I would like to have a stock screen to cut 3" off of. I think a shorter screen w/o the lip would work better. I find that if I stand on the pegs the noise level goes down a whole lot.

If anyone has a buggered up screen I would love to try to trim the lip and an inch or 2 off of it and see if I can get a smooth clean air flow.

My R100RS has a very short one which I found was better than stock.

I'm 6' tall and I still get turbulence at my shoulders. I don't want to get dead air but clean uncompressed air flow.

At 60 MPH I want 60 MPH wind. The R100RS would compress the air and at 60 the wind above my helmet was like 75 or 80 MPH.

The R90S did a good job of keeping the air flow clean and straight back... I find a screen that tries to flip the flow up causes a problem.

If I trim a stock screen down a couple of inches I may find it works better.

Maybe someone already makes one or has tried making one.

I don't want to purchase a new one to just hack up.

If someone dropped a Le mans and has a buggered up one let me know. OR if you have tried this .... Let me know how it worked out.

Thanks.

All I want is some clean air! :P

There was one in the personals... Not sure if is still there. I haven't heard of an OEM trim job but several have gone with MRA windshield or Laminar-Lip to increase the pocket... A board seach should turn up all of the above.

I put the MRA screen on my Nero Corsa. It is a quality piece and works well. I once put a superlow screen on my old K100RT Parabellum setup that replaced the original cheesegrater for summer use. It made the bike look really good, but didn't smooth the airflow down as much as you would think. I do know what your talking about in reference to the "sweet spot". If I raised my head up and back as far as possible, it was calm and quiet with the original screen. The real answer may be to open up the bottom of the screen to let some air in and improve the overall aerodynamics in regards to laminar flow and pressure areas.

Wick

I would like to have a stock screen to cut 3" off of.  I think a shorter screen w/o the lip would work better.  I find that if I stand on the pegs the noise level goes down a  whole lot. 

If anyone has a buggered up screen I would love to try to trim the lip and an inch or 2 off of it and see if I can get a smooth clean air flow. 

My R100RS has a very short one which I found was better than stock.

I'm 6' tall and I still get turbulence at my shoulders.  I don't want to get dead air but clean uncompressed air flow.

At 60 MPH I want 60 MPH wind.  The R100RS would compress the air and at 60 the wind above my helmet was like 75 or 80 MPH.

The R90S did a good job of keeping the air flow clean and straight back... I find a screen that tries to flip the flow up causes a problem.

If I trim a stock screen down a couple of inches I may find it works better.

Maybe someone already makes one or has tried making one.

I don't want to purchase a new one to just hack up. 

If someone dropped a Le mans and has a buggered up one let me know.  OR if you have tried this .... Let me know how it worked out.

Thanks.

All I want is some clean air!  :P

66199[/snapback]

John,

I have often wondered the same thing. My original Lemans screen was cracking at the screw holes and was replaced via warrantee. Unfortunately MG wanted the bad one back so I never got to try shortening it. I want cleaner air too. Please let me know how it works if you get a chance to try it.

Rocketman

Tape a few 1' long pieces of yarn to the top edge of your windscreen and you can see the flow pattern.

If you trim off the windscreen, a bit at a time, or open up a vent in the lower edge, you will be able to actually see the differences made.

There is a maximum functional length for this technique, which depends on the turbulence generated. At some point the yarn will just get whipped about. You can play around with various lengths, but it's an interesting exercise. :bier: