What learner bike

Guest Nogbad

My daughter is 18 in January, and wants bike lessons and a bike. She is a tall girl and can easily get both feet flat on the ground sitting on my V11 so I guess she might find a 125 sportbike or learner legal cruiser a bit cramped, so I am thinking a supermoto style might be better.

Any ideas? / recommendations?

My daughter is 18 in January, and wants bike lessons and a bike. She is a tall girl and can easily get both feet flat on the ground sitting on my V11 so I guess she might find a 125 sportbike or learner legal cruiser a bit cramped, so I am thinking a supermoto style might be better.

66902[/snapback]

A friend's son learnt on a Honda 125 Varadero- tall, solid, comfy, reasonably light with plenty of steering lock. Best to buy used cos they always sell them on again once they have passed their test.

All the sporty bikes like Aprilia RS125s and NS125s have no steeering lock.

Guy :helmet:

What kind of displacement limitations do you have for insurance or licensing purposes?

I'd vote for a used 125-250cc enduro. They're tall, light, bulletproof, easy to ride and fit your supermoto description.

What kind of displacement limitations do you have for insurance or licensing purposes? 

I'd vote for a used 125-250cc enduro.  They're tall, light, bulletproof, easy to ride and fit your supermoto description.

66912[/snapback]

Must be 125 or less with max HP of 14. The test rules are quite complicated, like once you pass, which must be on a 125 not a 100 or less, you can then ride anything up to 33 bhp for 2 years. After that probation it's unrestricted. So, I have to get her a proper bike, with manual gears and a 125cc engine. There isn't a lot of choice. Most machines of this capacity are physically small.

I like the idea of the Varadero, apart from the prices. At £3200+ new even used ones are pricey, but maybe it won't depreciate much.

66902[/snapback]

? Why waiting till 18? Can ride at 17. Is because of cheaper insurance, Birthday present or leading into better weather (March on wards)?

Obviously with the stepped licencing you will be looking at just something to start her off with and then encourage her to move on to a CBF250 or CB500 (33 neutered) type

As a gangly 6'00" 17 year old ( not quite 1/4 a century ago) I started off on a Yamaha RS100. I thought it was a great bike. Obviously they no longer do this and it's not a 125. Dropped it twice on ice and gravel slight scrape on flexible mounted indicators , solid foot rests mounts and no other damage. The advantage of a light weight. I then went to a RD200. It was only having gone through my XJ550 and on to the FJ1200 did I have a bike that I didn't dwarf according to my friends. But at the time they all rode all right. but I didn't like riding the smaller bike having got used to the bigger one. She should fit anything, but avoid the sports ones just purely because of the CBT.

Trail bikes - tend to be slightly larger and more roomy will have lots of lock for the round the cones CBT. and you will need lots of locks as thieving scum love them.

Valdero - advantages of a trail bike, but has lots of body work vulnerable in a drop. Very expensive. Looks like a bigger bike, which has it pros and cons,

Cruisers - :vomit: need I go on.

Roadsters - CG125 Honda dull as ditch water, but would plod on for ever or the slightly more exciting YBR125 Yamaha. Or even Van Van Suzuki type things.

Most seem to be 4strokes though Yamaha DT125 is a stroke though I don't think it's learner legal (12bhp). I would look and just see whats available and what she likes. Look for a lightly used roadster or trail bike, with a view of passing test and moving on. Might be more expensive to stick with the big 4 than go with a Huosong or similar, but you'd get a better price when chopping it in and probably lose less over all (depending on drop damage)

What did you learn on? Pre 250 limit; two part test; 125 limit; stepped licence or even a sidecar :P (had you considered that ( sorry I do find combinations almost an object of ridicule in these days of small cars))

Hi Noggie,

I face the same problem as you do. My twin sons, 18 years old, have just passed their driving test and are also eager to find (a) suitable bike(s).

The laws in Denmark states that tou can only ride a 34 bhp bike for the the first two years, which mean that they are also scrolling the market for available bikes.

My boys are pretty tall; they stand 6´4 and 6´5 above sea level, which means they look like hobbits on a 125cc or a 250 cc bike. In fact they are both able to drive around on my Scura without any probs at all.

Back to subject: what should they buy? To be honest, I don't know. You can get special restriction kits for the most popular Jap bikes and even for the Duc 620 Monster, which may be an option. It's an okay bike sizewise and it won't let them down when they turn 20 and can bring the bike back to normal standards.

I'm also keen to hear your opinions ref. bikes for toddlers, so keep the info flowing, dudes! :thumbsup:

TIA

Søren

PS: I forgot to mention bikes have to be black, Nogbad! :ninja::bike:

I like the idea of the Varadero, apart from the prices. At £3200+ new even used ones are pricey, but maybe it won't depreciate much.

66915[/snapback]

There are a couple for sale round here- one £1800 private sale, another dealer sale £2195.

I agree about what Martin says with the bodywork- maybe you can get crash bars.

Guy :helmet:

...Do they still make the cg100 in the UK ? nothing beats it for learning on.....

....CG125 Honda dull as ditch water, but would plod on for ever...

CG125's a great little bike - that's why they're still around - go well, handle (ish) & are quite hard to fall off. If you think the CG's dull did you ever try a CD200 (Benly)?

I'd've thought it's a matter of whatever good small, light, reliable bike you can get locally for a reasonable price. Off road's a good place to learn...

KB :sun:

PS how did she get on at Glastonbury....?

CG125's a great little bike - that's why they're still around - go well, handle (ish) & are quite hard to fall off. If you think the CG's dull did you ever try a CD200 (Benly)?

I'd've thought it's a matter of whatever good small, light, reliable bike you can get locally for a  reasonable price. Off road's a good place to learn...

KB :sun:

PS how did she get on at Glastonbury....?

66962[/snapback]

I learnt on a CG125 just after the 125 limit came in, so maybe one of those might be ok, just they don't look really cool.

Reason for waiting till she's 18 is my ex-wife is dead against bikes and told her daughter she had to wait till 18, so I want to get the girl a bike, gear and CBT etc. for her birthday.

She really enjoyed Glastonbury, escaped the flooding and made it home entirely unscathed.

My daughter took her first MC lessons a year ago, she is 22 and 5'3" tall. Once the lessons were completed, she hit the web, checked out the local dealers and came home with a used 2001 DUC 750 Monster. She bartered with the dealer who sold it (knocking off 500$), set up the liability insurance, dropped the bike a few times, learned to pick it up, and recently completed a 3200 mile road trip. etc. Now she has her sites set for flying lessons and utlimately helicopter pilots license.

My answer to the question is not to decide for her, let her make a choice she ultimately learns from, but of course, guide her by asking the right questions.

Hi Noggie,

I face the same problem as you do. My twin sons, 18 years old, have just passed their driving test and are also eager to find (a) suitable bike(s).

The laws in Denmark states that tou can only ride a 34 bhp bike for the the first two years, which mean that they are also scrolling the market for available bikes.

My boys are pretty tall; they stand 6´4 and 6´5 above sea level, which means they look like hobbits on a 125cc or a 250 cc bike. In fact they are both able to drive around on my Scura without any probs at all.

Back to subject: what should they buy? To be honest, I don't know. You can get special restriction kits for the most popular Jap bikes and even for the Duc 620 Monster, which may be an option. It's an okay bike sizewise and it won't let them down when they turn 20 and can bring the bike back to normal standards.

I'm also keen to hear your opinions ref. bikes for toddlers, so keep the info flowing, dudes!  :thumbsup:

TIA

Søren

PS: I forgot to mention bikes have to be black, Nogbad!  :ninja:  :bike:

66926[/snapback]

Hi Søren.

If easy handling is it, look to the BMW 650 Stradas/Funduros. Not to pretty, but durable and incredibly driveable. Quite cheap, goes well and you can get rid of them pretty easily afterwards. My good friend, the driving instructor, swears by them.

The Duc 620? That is a SMALL bike for a big lad...

And of course you can look at the Aprilia Pegaso, with the same Rotax engine as the BMW, but better looking.

For a boy who wants to look bad-ass, there is always the Suzuki DR 400s, with fat street tyres and open exhaust these look and sounds the part, and they have been around forever.

I've seen a lot of the Suzuki Bandit 600s around with the restrictor kit, its not bad and looks like real bike.

By the way, I probably passed your house on Friday on my way to Louisiana. Four days in Køben. You danes really know how to run a kro :bier:

EDIT: I forgot. The right bike isnt all that turn ones hopefuls into bikers. One should also master the art of reckless drinking, ungodly language - and start wearing smelly leathers.... explain to mothers that this is strictly necessary steps in the upbringing, and needed in other to become complete humans.

Hi Søren.

If easy handling is it, look to the BMW 650 Stradas/Funduros. Not to pretty, but durable and incredibly driveable. Quite cheap, goes well and you can get rid of them pretty easily afterwards. My good friend, the driving instructor, swears by them.

By the way, I probably passed your house on Friday on my way to Louisiana. Four days in Køben. You danes really know how to run a kro  :bier:

EDIT: I forgot. The right bike isnt all that turn ones hopefuls into bikers. One should also master the art of reckless drinking, ungodly language - and start wearing smelly leathers.... explain to mothers that this is strictly necessary steps in the upbringing, and needed in other to become complete humans.

67251[/snapback]

Hi Mdude,

thanks fro the input regarding bikes. And next time you're in Copenhagen then pop in for a :bier: and a :food: , right?

You forgot to mention snorting cocaine and smelly feet! :D

Søren

Now she has her sites set for flying lessons and utlimately helicopter pilots license.

66989[/snapback]

"Fly Army" Unless she is wealthy and is doing it for the hobby, might have her look into the military to get the training that she will need (while getting paid) IMHO. :D

Not recruiting but can give her the B/L in the helo world if needed. :thumbsup: