EFI computer, or remap...

Guest brianash

Guest brianash

I have a '00 V11S, with Leo Vince Pipes...No other mods.

I dyno'd it the other day, and the Air:Fuel Ratio was WAY lean! the power was good - about 85 HP, 64 ft-lbs torque... but my AFR went all the way up to 21:1 at some rpm's!!! The whole thing is a bit lean, but some parts are VERY lean - and the mixture fluctuates a lot. I know that Ducati has the same Fuel Injection system, and they offer a plug-in computer that gives the bike a flat AFR curve.... then the whole curve can be moved up or down with the diagnostic computer at a dealer... Does Guzzi have replacement computers like this, or do i need to get a power commander? I noticed FIM Ultimap on a webpage too... Anyone use this, and where can i have my computer updated with a new map? I will scan the dyno results and post them when i get a chance. I think i am going to put on the stock pipes and dyno it again this weekend.. I don't want to ride around with that lean of a mixture. Hopefully the stock pipes will bring it back into a normal range.

p.s. - i live in California, near Sacramento... (for info on nearby shops)

Guest brianash

also, is there any difference between the power commander from dynojet, and the one they made for k&n?? K&N has theirs on sale right now, so if they are the same, i will get one from them... they list it as:

83709-211 PCIII - MOTO GUZZI, QUOTA 1100 ES, 00-01 - $145.00

that just means that the map that is installed is the one for the Quota, right? If i am going to dyno it with the tuning link software to make a map for me, then that doesn't matter, right??

Guest dkgross

sounds like a PCIII is just what you need. And since you're going to do your own map, I'd say to go for it. I found the people there very helpful, so you could certainly give them a call if you have any questions.

I have the PCIII on my LeMans, just stock, but it seems to work just fine. When I get closer to 3000 miles or so, I'll get it tweaked in more.

I'm not certain about this, but it seems to me you'd need a PCIII that is made to work with the same ECU as your Guzzi uses. Does a Quota use the same ECU as a V11S? I don't know, but worth looking into.

I bought my PCIII at full price from Todd Egan at his Guzzi Tech site. Came to me pre-loaded with a map made for my bike's set up. Plug & play! No complaints. The bike now runs better than ever!

I would make sure you know what you're doing before getting one of the "sale" PC's. Good to make sure it'll work for you.

I have a Laptop now and can change maps all I want. But I didn't when I bought the unit. Getting it pre-setup from Todd was a fine way to go. No questions and no messing around with it!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scott

Hey Brian:

Read your post with interest. I too live near Sacramento (GO KINGS!!), and I too have installed LeoVince cans on my bike. Bought my '02 LeMans from Performance Cycle a little over a year ago, and the LeoVince's are the only aftermarket engine modification I have made.

Overall my bike has always ran strong but tends to ping on hot days. Not letting good enough alone, I just ordered a PCIII from Todd at guzzitech.com. He is providing me a conservative map that should get rid of the overly lean condition that exist from 2300-4000rpm range.

I'll keep you up to date, and I hope to see/ride with you in the near future. I'll be at the Guzzi Open House that will be at Performance Cycle on Saturday, April 19. :mg:

Just to confirm, all 15M Moto Guzzi CPUs (I think that is post 2000) are the same. I bought the Quota unit from K&N for my 2001 V11, dropped in the correct map from the Power Commander site and it worked fine. You can confirm this with the folks at Dyno Jet at www.powercommander.com or (800) 992-4993.

Todd has been blowing smoke trying to confuse people on this issue with vague comments like "some PCIII will not work in some applications". This may well be true for Suzukis or some other brand but all late model Guzzi units interchange.

Cheers,

Lex

Lex, are you sure those are Todd's words? I don't know the exact context of that statement, but I doubt he was trying to blow smoke. I can imagine he may have at one point been cautious to only recommend the 'officially' recommended model for fear that the pin assignments might not match.

I know that he was at Dyna when they were building the PCIII for the 16M Guzzi which is different than the PCIII for the 16M Ducati.

From that experience I can understand why he would not recommend something until he could verify it with Dyna.

On the Guzzitech.com forum I have read statements from him that would suggest the opposite of what you quoted. Not to say that he did not say that, but that the timing or the context of the statement may indicate that his intent was not to blow smoke over the issues.

:nl:

Actually, I recall Todd did say something along those lines. I suspect he had it mixed up a tad because someone had posted querying as to whether a PCIII for another type of bike (say a Ducati) would work, which of course, it wouldn't as the programming would be differerent as well as the wiring harness connections. But, it makes no sense whatsoever to produce a piece of hardware that has to be customized internally for each separate application, that's why we have computer programs to make up the differences and I'm just as certain that Power Commanders achieve their flexibility through programming the hardware and not modifying it. The original question was posted in reference to the Sport 1100i/Centauro application too, I think, and that particular wiring setup up required additional connectors and wire that simply aren't required on some of the later Guzzis.

dlaing, Carl,

I can't get to the original statement but those are pretty close to Todd's words. The request was the same as this thread, basically "Can I buy a cheap Quota PC III from K&N and put it in my 15M Guzzi". I have no way of knowing Todd's state of mind or what his intention was, I can only report on the words he posted. Given that he signed the post "Certified Power Commander Tech" or words to that effect make it hard from me to believe anything but that he was trying to get people to pay full price for one of his PCIIIs but, as I said, I'm not a mind reader.

It is purely a personal opinion but I've read a few posts from Todd where it seems his answer was more than a bit intentionally misleading. Some of the posts that Rich M has made on this forum have included a good deal of double talk that Rich has attributed to Todd. I'm sure Todd is a nice guy and a pillar of the MG community but you have to remember he makes his living selling this stuff. Todd would have to be pretty close to sainthood to never let his economic interest color his thinking. In the past I've made my living as a sales engineer, I would never lie to a customer but you can bet your last dollar I always phrased things in a way that flattered what I was selling, to do otherwise would be stupid. That doesn't mean I didn't give my customers a great deal of useful information and it doesn't mean I don't read and learn a lot from what Todd says. What that means is that I remember he has an economic interest and have my BS filter set accordingly.

In the words of the great New Jersey philosopher Bruce Springsteen; "Blind faith in anything can get you killed".

Lex

--he makes his living selling this stuff

Au contrere, Lex. Todd is not in the sales business, AFAIK, and I have found him to be totally straightforward and upfront in my many dealings with him in the past many months.

I am sure that you could get direct answers to any specific questions you may have regarding EFI tuning with the DynoJet products from Todd through the email address on the guzzitech website.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (soon to be without dealer/factory support)

01 KTM Duke II (probably cause, even when parked)

83 V50 III (has actual brakes now)

Guest scott

Hey guys:

I purchesed my PCIII from Todd because his website (guzzitech.com) is first rate, he has put a lot of time putting together reliable maps (I hope), he answers all his e-mails daily, and he is patient with info-junkies like me. Also, truth be told, K&N sold out of their last $145 PC's. :homer:

I should have mine in a couple of days :bike:

Well, the folks at Moto Italiano have got my heads fitted, etc... but are somewhat surprised to find that the bike just won't run :P duh! ..that's what I told them when I brought it in :lol:

But to their credit, they never really doubted me, but it's kinda funny to hear them as frustrated and dumbfounded as I was for so long prior to just throwing my hands up in the air back in January and thinking, "well heck, I'll just let them fix it when I do the heads anyway." :rolleyes:

So, anyway... it is hard to start, just won't idle, and ends up coughing back through the intakes. This was exactly what it was doing prior to the head work. I have to wonder and "joke" to myself now if it's running poorly "more efficiently" after the porting! ah hem... :lol:

OK OK... seriously, they are somewhat stumped. They've got it on the computer, and they're next step is to "zero out" the ECU and start from scratch. Seems to me that would be the thing to do every time. But who am I to say :P:

So we'll see. I suspect they'll get it. I'm very curious though to see just why it was running so poorly though. Hopefully they won't just "get it working" without ever knowing why it didn't run in the first place.

After they get a good baseline, I'll take it to a Power Commander shop, get a custom map made, and then get a before and after dyno run. It's just too bad I wasn't able to get a "before" before I had the head work done. But since we pretty know the V11's base power/torque... that's probably no big deal.

al