WBO2 sensors and related dataloggers

dlaing

For me the first decicsion was about if I needed onboard logging or not.

I decided that I get the onboard logging facilities I probably could save

some money on dyno time. (always looking for excuses to spend money :)

The choice was between the Innovate LM-1 and TechEdge 2A1

2A1 has more inputs built-in while the LM-1 must have an add-on

to log RPM and TPS, but the LM-1 has a simple display which the

2A1 missed.

The price including shipping and taxes was about the same for both

units.... and both seems to be good products.

I finally ordered the 2A1 from Australia,

the decisive factor was the open protocols used by TechEdge.

PS. this is not the extra small motorcycle model

but a full model with 1 MB onboard EEPROM logging memory

http://wbo2.com/2a0/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS. this is not the extra small motorcycle model

but a full model with 1 MB onboard EEPROM logging memory

http://wbo2.com/2a0/

68537[/snapback]

I missed the details on that one.

Apparently the 1MB of the 2A1 provides 32 times more logging time/data than 2A0!

All but the very earliest 2A0 units had a 32 k byte on-board memory (those early units can be upgraded to 32 k or even the newer 1 M size). The 32 k on-board memory can store over 1,150 frames of 28 bytes each (the size of the default data frame). That's about 115 seconds, or just less than 2 minutes, at the default logging rate of 10 frames/sec. The Logging rate can be varied up to around 50 frames/sec (23 seconds of logging) or down to less than a frame every 2 seconds (about 40 minutes). Logging software can retrieve logged data and send it out the unit's serial RS232 port (at 19,200 bits/sec). It typically takes less than 20 seconds to download the maximum data that can be stored.

So the 2A1 can log about one hour at 10/sec and about 12 minutes at 50/sec.

Dimensions in mm

Dynojet WBC 104w x 72h x 25d

Innovate LM1 177x102x38

TechEdge 2EO unit, without cables, weighs less than 220 grams. The main case measures 150 x 80 mm with height of 30 mm. 2A1 should be the same dimensions, but I could not verify.

Wego II 94L x 43W x 19H

PLX 121 x 57 x 25

Zt-2 claims to be smallest in the world, "about the size of a 1" thick business card", but the picture looks like a BIG business card...for scale I think those are RJ-45 sockets, but it still may be the smallest of the above, but I think the WegoII is close in size.

zt-2-200.jpg

And last but not least, the FJO appears to be one of the smaller units, but it is bulkier than the competition because of the quality connectors hanging off the unit.

PLX just announced in their newsletter that if you buy an R-500 before January 6th, they will throw in a free G sensor($79retail), so you can log Accellartion G-forces!!! A true road dyno.

Only problem is that the R-500 is $579 or $639 with EGT sensor.

And here is another option.

From NGK, the Powerdex AFX with meter display but no apparent logging. But it looks nice and small. $295 with cables, sensor and bung.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/air-...9000&country=US

An aside thought is that most of these units come with cables long enough to wire a car.

I don't know if the wires can be cut down, but it might be worth looking into.

Although one of the benefits of buying the WBO2 is that you can also use it in your car or truck or whatever. It can also be used in just about any internal combustion engine. You just need a 12Volt source.

But I suppose a lawn mower muffler would be too short. :lol:

From

http://forum.helluvafast.com/showthread.php?t=1461&page=2

Wow, I was going to post something about this too. On my trip to NYC, I bought a Import Tuner Mag., and it had a very good write up on WideBand O2's.

For the love of god, for once they actually had a write up that is somewhat beneficial.

But, basically they compared 8 different models of A/F WideBand Meters:

1. Turbo XS MSRP:$699 Bosch LSU 4.0, digital LED

2. Zeitronix MSRP:$269 w/. PPC datalogging software, $389 w/. LCD display. Bosch LSU 4.2

3. EFI SYS MSRP:$449, Bosch LSU 4.0, digital LCD

4. NTK (Not for sale to the general public, used by OEM companies to test their engines, this was used as the BenchMark Value)

5. Motec MSRP: $1299, Bosch LSU 4.0 NTK LH1, BackLit LCD

6. Innovate MSRP: $349 Bosch LSU 4.2 or NTK LH1, Backlight LCD

7. AEM MSRP: $N/A Bosch LSU4.2, Digital mulit-colored LED

8. HKS MSRP: $890 Bosch NTK LH1, DIgital LCD (Avaliable only through HKS authorized Pro-Dealers)

Things they looked for:

1) A/F meter to calculate precise A/F ratio

2) accuracy in its ability to measure at a fast rate of speed

Good:

Motec was chosen to be the best - with the fastest sampling rate in the group as well as displaying AF to the hundreth of a point and ability to recalibrate to the sensors conditions allowing you to decipher what the new voltage readout is pertaining to atmospheric pressure.

Zeitronix - For the price, went toe to toe w/. the NTK & Motec. Once of the best traits they found was the fact it can display EGT, RPM, TPS, boost, vacuum, along w/. 1 other 5-volt reference all at one time. Based on price, this metter was the most bang for your buck. (according to Import Tuner)

Bad:

AEM - One of the problems found was that the vehicle tested ran an AF as low as 10.7 in both test the meter went offline in the mid to high rpm range.

EFI - It was hard to determine if the meter was reading faster than the otherss or if it was just running richer. In both test the O2 in front and behind the field it tend to read reich by a few points over the majority of the field.

Here is just a few of the results, Let me know if anyone wants the article. Maybe I can xerox it or you guys can get the issue July 2004.

Too bad they didn't test the PLX device one. But regardless, I'm interested!!

This is allegedly a scan from the test.

NOTE the NTK is the benchmark

wbotwo9lr.jpg

It is interesting that they all claim something like .1 percent accuracy when none are consistently that accurate...even the Motec does not stay even with the NTK.

Edit, if you have trouble seeing the above image, click here:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddim...zMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

I got a response from Zeitronix:

Thank you for your interst in our products.

A PC laptop or a PDA needs to be connected to the Zt-2 for logging. This way

you can review the logs on the spot.

We strongly believe in a real time data logging. Tune-log-review-tune repeat

is more efficient and accurate than, log-log-log-log-log come to the shop

download to a PC review, tune then log again.

Thanks,

Zeitronix

Now I just have to figure out how mount my Pentium II tower and 17INCH CRT to the bike.

The keyboard will almost fit in the tanbag.

But realistically, maybe that PCIII Palm adapter that I bought will come in handy finally!

Now, to find a cheap PALM or laptop that will fit in the tank bag and use a 12VDC power adapter.

Or go to a different model.

From what I can determine the models are pretty comparable values.

I still really like the PLX R series, but their display probably is not readable while riding.

The Zeitronix still looks like a good deal, because for $279 plus $79 for palm software, plus $100 for a Palm, You would have an awesome setup with room for future expandability.

I earlier wrote off Wide Band Commander because the price and value did not match, but searching eBay, they are availble for less than $400 US

But even at that price, the WEGO II at $425 has better logging.

Innovate and TechEdge are both solid companies. But, I think TechEdge gives more for the money.

The NGK Powerdex AFX at $299 would be my choice for a unit with no logging, although you could send the 0-5v signal to some sort of logging device, but that is too technical for me.

The FJO is awesome, and if I was a professional, that would probably be my choice, but the price is too much for me.

Here is recap of the models with a focus on connectivity to the computer, and software:

PLX R-300 Windows USB2 $450+ bung

Wide Band Commander Windows USB ~$400 on ebay

WEGO II Windows Serial $425

Innovate Windows Serial

FJO Windows PDA(but not sure if you can log to PDA) Serial -no onboard logging

Zeitronix PC Palm(PC software is included but Palm Software is $79US, but logs data) -no onboard logging $279 plus Palm

Tech Edge OpenSource? DOS Windows Palm I am not sure of pricing as these seem to be shareware. Serial

Powerdex AFX No Logging $299

• 2 weeks later...

Alex-Corsa pointed out to me, that the PLX M series

http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/PLX-Devices/M300.htm

support the TechnoResearch VDSTS and this kit http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/PLX-Devices/TR-O2.htm

supports the VDSTS AND the Direct Link.

I am not sure what the support is.

The webpage description for each is identical for everything but price and software support.

Does it log?

Does it auto-correct the map?

Does it work for bikes that did not have a narrow band O2 sensor?

Will any WBO2 controller with 1Volt output work with the TechnoResearch software?

Enquiring minds need to know! :P

Does it work for bikes that did not have a narrow band O2 sensor?

Will any WBO2 controller with 1Volt output work with the TechnoResearch software?

Enquiring minds need to know! :P

Just read the info page of the product I think it is very descriptional. It is a Wideband Oxygen Sensor Controller unit, as it is seen it uses the Bosch LSU4/LSU4.2 Sensor.

As far as compatibility with the VDSTS that perhaps mean (I have already asked the company and wait for reply) that the VDSTS uses the data of the controler to give you a more acurrate diagnosis about the mixture.

As seen on the demo video the VDSTS has the ability to show you for each cylinder the lean/rich status

None of the WideBand kits that I saw specified a Stainless Steel bung, so I placed an order for a pair of stainless steel bungs and plugs here:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductDe....asp?RecId=4637

Still have to figure out which one to buy.

I guess whichever one I can get a good deal on.

I already lost three bidding wars on eBay. :angry:

But I am in no hurry since by the time I get the plugs installed there may be new models on the market.

I snagged the LM-1 / LM-3 combo and added the XD-1 guage. It's a pricey bit of kit, but with it I can log wide band A/F plus any 4 other channels of data, including RPM, injector duty cycle, vacuum/boost, fuel pressure, TPS output, and it has a built in accelerometer if you like that kind of thing. :luigi:

Cool setup!

If I were you, I'd be sure to take advantage of monitoring the cylinder head temperature.

Exhaust Gas Temperature is probably even more important, but more expense...

I never examined the details of the AuxBox.

It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Cool setup!

If I were you, I'd be sure to take advantage of monitoring the cylinder head temperature.

Exhaust Gas Temperature is probably even more important, but more expense...

I never examined the details of the AuxBox.

It opens up a lot of possibilities.

71410[/snapback]

It actually has CHT available, with the kit included in the LM-3, and I have EGT sensors from my aircraft. :D

I worry a bit about haveing more information than I'll know what to do with!! :homer: