Ignition Coil Insulator Mounts

Mike Stewart

Hi All,

The three rubber insulator mounts that hold the coils to the frame have seperated on my 00 V11S. Now they are not rubber mounted and lay nicely on the vibrating frame. My question is, is there an aftermarket replacement for this part or do I have to order it through Guzzi and possible miss some upcoming rallys? They are rubber with 6mm studs on both ends.

Thanks,

Mike

Two options here - one of which I've done (super glue). Super glue the rubber back onto the metal parts - reassemble. That works and works pretty well, is cheap and can be renewed when it eventually parts again. Alternatively, subsititute a small chunk of fuel line for the rubber mounts and find a way to hold them in place such as a long screw and nut installed loose enough to allow the mount to counter vibration. The mount isn't there for electrical purposes, just to counter vibration damage to the coils.

Mike,

I'm too lazy to pull the tank and I can't see them from the outside but it these mounts are hexagonal rubber pieces maby12-13 mm thick with a short (guess 10 to 15 mm) six mm stud coming out each side BMW uses lots of them on the airheads. I would try to take the part to a BMW shop. If you get a dweeb (lots of good BMW parts guys but a few jerks do slip in) tell him/ her you want the rubber mount that attaches the headlight assembly to the forks on an R100R. If they are still around (loosing my BMW connections) Robert at SJ BMW or Kevin at Cal BMW are both very good.

I hope this helps,

Lex

Well, the Guzzi ones are round but the BMW ones ought to be functionally the same. Thanks for the tip Lex! The Sport 1100i instrument panel is mounted (and usually unmounted because they separate) with these rubber thingamabobs. Super glue is a valid re-attachement procedure (says he with 5 years of gluing the dang things back together), but now that I know where to get replacements, it's time to ignore the Scotch in me and buy some new ones. :P

Carl,

Well, actually, the BMW mounts are round as well. I just had a brilliant thought and actually checked instead of relying on my (feeble) memory. I guess I'm up for another Homer Simpson award. :doh:

Anyway, I hope this is useful. Mike, if you check them out could you let us know if they are the same/ close enough to be used? I don't recall seeing one fail on a BMW so if they are usable this might be a good tip of Guzzi owners. I'll file the superglue trip under get home/ how to keep the bike working until the UPS lady delivers new parts tools. Living in the boonies means nothing is available same day even if the shop has it in stock. At least the good roads are close. :grin:

Cheers,

Lex

the Scotch in me

While there's always a little 'Scot' in me , I'm always up for a little 'scotch'

in me as well! Especially after a good ride on the sport!

Make mine a single malt, Carl! docc

Lex,

I went to my local BMW dealer in Walnut Creek and it was no problem getting the rubber insulator mounts. They are 8mm. shorter but will work. I had to remove the tank to gain access to the coils. I thought it would be an easy job, but the coils are jamed by the frame and engine breather hose, not to mention the main wiring harness is also tied to them. The shorter insulators required a few washers to increase their length to keep the coils from rubbing the frame. I think the Beemer mounts should last till the Guzzi ones get here. :lol:

Mike

The original mounts on my 10 year old R100R are still perfect so they may last until the &**&^&^ at MGNA get you the parts. Still waiting for the parts that fell off my Goose on the way home from the dealer, close to four months now. :angry:

Jaap, did you make this just for me? :homer:

Lex

Still waiting for the parts

What's the deal?? I ordered some stuff from the dealer 6 weeks ago. I try not to call too often since he acts like he owes me money when I get him on the phone. Is anybody in the US getting any parts lately??

Well, yeah, I've been ordering parts and they've been coming through in a 6 - 18 workday kind of time period for ordinary stuff, you know, clutch plates etc. For some strange reason, brake or clutch levers take about 3 months and body parts come from Italy and are apparently not stocked in the USA at all. Mostly, for generic kinds of items it is easier and cheaper to find an alternate source, like Buell turn signal lenses for the V11 Sport, or seek a European distributor for more specialized parts like fairings and stuff, like Agostini. From what I understand, Agostini is frequently cheaper than MGNA and always much faster if they have the parts. If they don't have the parts I guess they toodle down the street and obtain them directly. Of course, this negates the replacement under warranty aspect, but this is one of the reasons that MGNA is disliked so much by owners and dealers. When MGNA can't or won't deliver, everyone downstream suffers. I've written off a lot of parts that would have been warranty replacement items over the last 5 years. Some because the dealer I bought my bike at simply refused to have any warranty dealings with MGNA and some because I knew that even if the parts would have been replaced, I found other sources so I could get the bike back on the road in a reasonable length of time.