Radar Detectors

O2 V11

At the recent National Guzzi Rally I attended some bikes had radar detectors fitted. Some used an earpiece while others had the H.A.R.D. unit fitted. A quick look on the net uncovered a radar screamer one could use as well. Has anyone here had any experiences good or bad with any of these devices? My luck must run out eventually in regard to not being stopped for speeding. I would just like to lessen the odds a little bit.

Rob

At the recent National Guzzi Rally I attended some bikes had radar detectors fitted. Some used an earpiece while others had the H.A.R.D. unit fitted. A quick look on the net uncovered a radar screamer one could use as well. Has anyone here had any experiences good or bad with any of these devices? My luck must run out eventually in regard to not being stopped for speeding. I would just like to lessen the odds a little bit.

Rob

69260[/snapback]

Datatool have just released one specifically for bikes- although this uses GPS to warn you of the published locations of speed cameras- dont think it actually detects hand held radar or laser units.

I have a Snooper SD715iS for my car and this works well unless you are in town where there are too many false alarms caused by supermarket doors etc.

There is no substitute for keeping your eyes peeled and staying alert though!

Guy :helmet:

I use the Valentine 1 radar/laser detector in conjunction with the H.A.R.D. system on my 02 LeMans.

it is a bit pricey but it also allows me to end up with only one or so tickets a year

:huh2:.

I think my biggest reason for less tickets is my ever increasing middle age and the fact that I have hard bags mounted. you know ...the old fart on the touring rig ...probably in a hurry to get home and take his medication :grin:

I like the HARD setup so much I bought another one for my other helment....I do wish the batterys lasted a little longer. Sometimes I take my helment off and forget to turn off the receiver...chow!!!

:race::race: andy

Whilst it's not an area I have anything to do with.

The mobile speed camera vans here in the UK use laser coupled with camera. as do the traffic chaps. The only radar ones are the fixed site speed cameras, these you can either see unless on the reverse side of an over head gantry. But the sites are published. There was a time when the old hand held radars were being passed down to the community ofiicers and specials. Other constabularys may differ.

Unless you can pick up laser splatter you're done for. Unless you've done your planning and looked at the local authority road safety partnership web site where they've published the locations and even on some the enforcement timetable (?)

In the UK the opperator is suposed to formulate the opion that your speeding by his observation and then coroborate that by the camera. What might happen is that he will look down the telephoto sight and record your speed at a far greater distance than you the rider using the mark one eyeball can identify the camera van. I don't know if this has ever tested in court that he (excuse my sexist behaviour lady camera van operators) has only used one method to record your speed which is uncoroborated unless his obsevations down the sight count.

I think you're better of with appropriate use of speed and good observation, and a bit of luck. Held me in good stead but I'll probably get done next time out now.

I use the Valentine 1 radar/laser detector in conjunction with the H.A.R.D. system on my 02 LeMans.

it is a bit pricey but it also allows me to end up with only one or so tickets a year

:huh2:.

Well any links to this product to check it out?Though I think radars in USA use different "system" of identifying than these here in Europe.

Hehe I had got a couple (or more) radar flashes for over speedind last time I was on a travel, though from what I have heared these radars do pics only from the frond.

Anyway a radar warning system it might be usefull if it dees work fine.

:bier:

I start school to become a police officer next month.

I'll see what I can find out around here. But I know anyone on a Goose (within reason) will get off if I'm involved.

otherwise I don't speed very often, can't afford it I can lose my job. Plus it isn't cheap around here they don't have one ticket they have levels. and if you are driving over 100mph you lose your license for I think its one year. This applies to everyone everywhere in MN :moon:

just means I won't be doing a top speed test on the highway :huh2:

the only thing I can think of, ... if it detects the signal thats hitting you.... nothing can stop it now. youre gettin a tickie. On the other hand if it happens to be a speed trap over the slow rise I bet you'll get a lil advanced warnin. They worth the money?

"I don't care if a car can go from 0-60 in 4 seconds how about a car that will go from 90-55 in under one second?"

i do not want my insurance rate to go up so i do not use one.

but i have a friend who has a teni and he has the following set up that works incredibly well.

a valentine 1 goes inside the top (where maps go ) area of a tank bag thus it is protected from the elements.

this is connected direct to battery using the --remote connector )

this connector runs from the battery to a junction box from where 2 wires run

one goes to the valentine unit

the other goes to the remote which is a very small ,1/2 the size of a cigarrtte lighter ,,,,and this remote is mounted with velcro at the top/underside of the fairing so it is in your line of sight at all times .

and you can even hear the detector go off........my friend tells me.

anyhow ,all you need is the valentine and the remote.

there is a passport that works on batteries ,and a friend of mine had one . but the failure rate was high.and the detector range not as good.

the valentine has the advantage of the arrows that tell you where the radar is located.

and if the cop is using laser ,and shot it at cars in front of you ,it will alert you . but if he shoots you, he got you. it is instanteneous the laser gun and you do not have time to react specially on a bike.

Absorbtive paint is the way to go.  Stealth. 

69290[/snapback]

Wild Weasel?

the only thing I can think of, ... if it detects the signal thats hitting you.... nothing can stop it now. youre gettin a tickie. On the other hand if it happens to be a speed trap over the slow rise I bet you'll get a lil advanced warnin. They worth the money?

"I don't care if a car can go from 0-60 in 4 seconds how about a car that will go from 90-55 in under one second?"

69299[/snapback]

Quite right. With radar there is a wider beam and alot more lost and deflected signal to be picked up. The laser is a single point and only when fired by the operator. The only option would be an electronic warfare counter measures package

There has been some controversy recently in the biking press as to whether lasers are really capable of giving an accurate reading on a bike in the hands of an average operator. How true this is I don't know.

All I know is I have ridden and driven about half a million miles since my last ticket in 1984. I agree with Martin. Forget these doohickey devices and ride sensibly. A worthwhile side effect is that you don't tend to fall off and ruin you or your bike.

Sorry if I come across as an old fart. I am one. It isn't that I don't speed, I do speed often, but not by too much over the limit, and only in certain places.

Guest ratchethack

I've had a V-1 for (I think) 15 years now and have used it in 2 cars with the remote indicator module. I agree with Tx Redneck. This is the Top Dog. It made my 2 previous detectors seem like jokes from the first day. I'm absolutely convinced that it paid for itself several times over within the first few years in unwritten speeding tickets and un-levied insurance increases. Without any question, it's saved my bacon on at least a half-dozen occasions that I know about (saw the Cop after detection), probably more that I don't know about (never saw the Cop). :thumbsup:

I've considered using it on the Guzzi, but haven't yet, 'cause I generally have a "minimalist" philosophy when it comes to adding and carrying gear, and I seldom use a tank bag. The top of the tank bag would likely be the best location in my case, with the remote module clipped under my quarter-rairing. I've been re-thinking this since my last speeding ticket on the Guzzi <_< , and have talked with other guys that use 'em with somewhat elaborate (too elaborate, IMHO) handlebar mounts.

The side and rear-detecting protection it offers has been more valuable than I had imagined prior to using it in the cars, but I'd be giving up the rear-detecting capability on the Guzzi unless I hung it very conspicuously off the right-side handlebar (not likely). I'd hate to give up any of the capability, but all of the times I know of for certain that it's saved me have been from the front anyway...

Generally, it gets me to slow down at all times in *suspect* trap areas. Without it, I'd never know about most of 'em, let alone any of the "surprise" locations. Also - the laser detection is NOT useless - at least in a car. When it picks up laser in traffic, it affords time enough to slow down behind vehicles running "interference". ;)

Police aim lasers at either the front license plate or headlight, because they are the most reflective parts of a vehicle. Without a front plate, they can only aim at the headlight.

A test a couple of years ago showed that by driving with your high-beams on during the day, you buy yourself almost 2 seconds. The infra-red light put out by your headlight is enough to confuse the laser device for just a bit. If your detector goes off, and you grab a handful of brake, you may just slow enough to keep your record clean. A strong driving light with a infa-red filter worked even better, and could be used all the time (no visable light).

It was in Car and Driver in the last 5 years or so, I think.

Ryan