harley prices ,,,,down ...and evn special paint

fernando

i will not follow up the other harley thread because this is a new subject.

during the past 2 weeks i have visited approximately 5 harley dealers in south florida and connecticut and new york.

guess what guys..........

they are discounting.

there are a number of 2005 bikes at all dealerships and you can deal.

i remember when it was $5,000 over list or go take a walk.

the game has changed .

a new 2006 road king you can get at msrp.. and if you are good ,you can get free freight and alarm system. not much of a deal , but from where harley was only 15 monhts ago it is a deal.

i also saw a 2005 road king custom with special green and other color with motiff factory custom paint that goes for $3500 it has hard packs also painted instead of the leahter ones that come with this bike.an extra also.

it had many other chrome extras , and was going for $19,000 from a list i estimate at $25000.

not my cup of tea ...i prefer an all black no chrome bike .

but if the deal gets sweater say another 2 gs off ,it may be worth it.

ride it for 2 years and sell it for the same you paid for it ,assuming that harley gets out of the sales slump that they are now in.

and from what i have read ,in order to protect their dealers mark ups they are cutting back production. so , maybe their prices will rise again.

regarding the harley riders.....all the ones i have met are gentlemen.

but i agree that some are not . i did meet a group of felons at a famous connecticut restaurant where many riders meet on sundays ,( a few years ago ) . they were discussing the jail time served and one of of them had just gotten out .

and they did look the part,talked the talk and walked the walk , but deep down , i think that they are pussycats........

anyhow , i rode my guzzi today in 38 to 40 degree f weather and went to see the harley dealer where i saw the rd custom bike described above.

the sales staff could not believe i had come by bike in such cold weather ?????

now , if the temperature keeps dropping ,maybe i can get that 2 g 's off on this show bike .

ff

I've noticed this as well. I was in the HD dealer for some Buell parts for my Guzzi. IF you can follow me. Anyway except for the customs things were at MSRP or real close to it for the first time I've seen it. Ever. I didn't see any deals or packages and a sale person did get real friendly on me. But I'm with you fernando -minimalist I want the Streetbob but with the complete screaming eagle package. me wantie. :food:

They could probably give me a bike (after all, no bike is totally bad - no matter how much it wants to be...) but pay cash for one? Not a chance. Ungainly, overweight and sluggish. And if I had a Harley it would just reinforrce the image.

8-)))

mike ,

like they say , don't knock it until you try it.

rent one for a full day and then post again.

i am not trying to tell you that the bike is not what you say it is...........

all i am saying is try one for a full day ,and then let's talk.

and remember ,i have owned 2 strokers,guzzis,ducs,hondas and bmws'

and, in 1954 or so when i was 11 years old my first bike was a single cylinder 2 stroker harley davidson a 1946 or 47 bike.

i still remember it even thou it never got over 100 kph or 62 mph.

and , i would buy used motor oil at 5 cents a pint to mix it with the gas.

actually ,i went from riding horses to this bike ,overnight. (i did not give horse thou )

mike ,

all i am saying is try one for a full day ,and then  let's talk.

and, in 1954 or so when i was 11 years old my first bike was a single cylinder 2 stroker harley davidson a 1946 or 47 bike.

actually ,i went from riding horses to this bike ,overnight. (i did not give horse thou )

69418[/snapback]

It was meant, at least partly, as a joke. The last HD I tried was the 1977(?) Cafe Racer, which was the last one to have any appeal to me. Wouldn't mind a slient grey fellow, though.... I _really_ went off them when they were owned by the tenpin bowling company. Now, they are a paradox on two wheels. I mean, what other make could sell you a bike that you had to spend a lot more on to make useable? In litigious USA, I am really suprised that nobody has sued for damages, basing the claim on the (allegedly) pitiful brakes on the modern machines.

The two stroke design was war reparation from DKW. It was originally called the RT 125, HD used it as the Hummer and BSA photocopied the design in reverse to get the gear change on the correct side, called it the Bantam and went on to sell tens of thousands of them. Best design they (n)ever had 8-)

m

It was meant, at least partly, as a joke.  The last HD I tried was the 1977(?) Cafe Racer, which was the last one to have any appeal to me.  Wouldn't mind a slient grey fellow, though.... I _really_ went off them when they were owned by the tenpin bowling company.  Now, they are a paradox on two wheels.  I mean, what other make could sell you a bike that you had to spend a lot more on to make useable?  In litigious USA, I am really suprised that nobody has sued for damages, basing the claim on the (allegedly) pitiful brakes on the modern machines.

The two stroke design was war reparation from DKW.  It was originally called  the RT 125, HD used it as the Hummer and BSA photocopied the design in reverse to get the gear change on the correct side, called it the Bantam and went on to sell tens of thousands of them.  Best design they (n)ever had 8-)

m

69451[/snapback]

your gear shifters are on the OTHER side? weeeiiiirrrrrdddd.

mike ,

all i am saying is try one for a full day ,and then  let's talk.

69418[/snapback]

Fernando,

I'm with you on this one. I've never owned a Harley but if I had the money and garage space I would. When you are in the mood to cruise they are the right machine. The new ones are as good as the "back to the future" riders that make of a large part of Harley's customer base will allow.

If prices become reasonable I could see myself on a Road King or a Road Glide. OTOH, I may be the only guy in America who has a garage full of tools but would need more (imperial crap, my tools are almost all metric) if I bought one. :blush:

The only negative I know of is the large number of total a**holes who ride them. Real Harley people (I.E. long time riders who are into Harleys because they like to ride them, not because they think sitting on one in a costume they bought at the Harley store makes them look like they have a life) are great, the RUB crowd gives Harleys a bad name. I would most defiantly not be a member of the local HOG chapter. :vomit:

I also have to say I find it a little depressing to see people who buy expensive, not very reliable, slow compared to the Japanese option, quirky bikes (Moto Guzzis) putting down other people who buy expensive, not as reliable or fast as the Japanese stuff, quirky bikes. Maybe I'm sensitive since my other two bikes are a Ducati (aren't all Ducati owners elitist snobs?) and a BMW (aren't all BMW owners anal retentive elitist snobs?) but it seems like some folks around here be to unclench a little, we're all in this together. :drink:

Just my :2c: ,

Lex

I also have to say I find it a little depressing to see people who buy expensive, not very reliable, slow compared to the Japanese option, quirky bikes (Moto Guzzis) putting down other people who buy expensive, not as reliable or fast as the Japanese stuff, quirky bikes...... but it seems like some folks around here be to unclench a little, we're all in this together.  :drink: 

69547[/snapback]

ha ha! well said Lex :bier:

At least I can get a speeding ticket on my Guzzi. :race: 62 mph - you gotta be kidding!!!

I can't believe there is excitement that you can finally buy a HD at MSRP!!! Holy crap! really?? MSRP... and they might throw in an alarm!!! What a screaming eagle deal!!! :bbblll:

Well, that changes everything! :not:

I doubt any Guzzi owner has ever been STUPID enough to pay $5K over list...

Go to Moto International and you can buy 3 brand new Guzzis for the same price as a Harley Crapcycle.

All in this together? Excellent attitude! I'll be right over to take your Ducati out for some exercise.

Rj

Oh nuts... I've been bad agin... hope Belfy Clause doesn't see this...

to those of you who have expressed an opinion on this subject and those that have expressed a negative opinion on hd riders and bikes ,i have some thoughts.

i have read some good reviews on the web at cruiser magazine on the new roadliner and ultraliner by yamaha. a hd clone,and maybe even better looking in some respects.even the kawasaki nomad is a better looking machine by all acounts ...

for $12 to 15 .ooo they better the hd in almost every detail.

in order to get the road king to perform at the same level as the yamaha you have to spend over $27,000 in engine and other mods......

but ,there is something very special about riding a harley and i am not referring to appearances ,i am refering to FEEL that hd has that the japanese cannot or have not been able to emulate.

much like driving a 911 vs.a vette.

moto guzzi is in this realm....a moto guzzi has a certain feel /atitude that no japanese bike can meet .

even thou they ,the japanese ,are superior to the guzzi in almost every aspect they are not in the same class as a guzzi.........again,it is a FEEL/ATITUDE that is hard to copy.

many car makers have tried to copy/emulate the ride and feel of the beemer 3 series .but no one has yet met this as of 2005.

not that they will not ,but if they do meet it will occur only because bmw is moving slowly away from what they stood for. just drive the latest 3 or 5 or 6 series and compare them to the same car of 4 years ago.

not the same and that is a shame .

guzzi has managed to retain its appeal. so has harley.

this may be what attracts me to harley.

and you cannot judge a machine by those who ride it.

if they have an atitude ,so be it .

the question thus become,does the machine create the atitude or does the atitude reflect on the machine.

it is funny to see how bike riders usually dress and act in a similar fashion to those same riders who own the same bikes ,and how we ,all, categorize them in specific groupings of perceived behavior / atitude as related to the bike that they ride.

for example ,should i buy the harley ,i know that i will feel out of place dressed in my one piece armored racing leathers and sidi boots riding a road king.

but,i will not dress like all hd riders do.

i will probably wear a armored fabric two piece all weather riding suit.and a full face helmet.

think about this

to those of you who have expressed an opinion on this subject and those that have expressed a negative opinion on hd riders and bikes ,i have some thoughts.

i have read some good reviews on the web at cruiser magazine on the new roadliner and ultraliner by yamaha. a hd clone,and maybe even better looking in some respects.even the kawasaki nomad is a better looking machine by all acounts ...

for $12  to 15 .ooo they better the hd in almost every detail.

in order to get the road king to perform at the same level as the yamaha you have to spend over $27,000 in engine and other mods......

but ,there is something very special about riding a  harley and i am not referring to appearances ,i am refering to  FEEL that hd has that the japanese cannot or have not been able to emulate.

much like driving a 911 vs.a vette.

moto guzzi is in this realm....a moto guzzi has a certain feel /atitude that no japanese bike can meet .

even thou they ,the japanese ,are superior to the guzzi in almost every aspect they are not in the same class as a guzzi.........again,it is a FEEL/ATITUDE  that is hard to copy.

many car makers have tried to copy/emulate the ride and feel of the beemer 3 series .but no one has yet met this as of 2005.

not that they will not ,but if they do meet it will occur only because bmw is moving slowly away from what they stood for. just drive the latest 3 or 5 or 6 series and compare them to the same car of 4 years ago.

not the same and that is a shame .

guzzi has managed to retain its appeal. so has harley.

this may be what attracts me to harley.

and you cannot judge a machine by those who ride it.

if they have an atitude ,so be it .

the question thus become,does the machine create the atitude or does the atitude reflect on the machine.

it is funny to see how bike riders usually dress and act in a similar fashion to those same riders who own the same bikes ,and how we ,all, categorize them in specific groupings of perceived behavior /  atitude as related to the bike that they ride.

for example ,should i buy the harley ,i know that i will feel out of place dressed in my  one piece armored racing leathers and sidi boots riding a road king.

but,i will not dress like all hd riders do.

i will probably wear a armored fabric two piece all weather riding suit.and a full face helmet.

think about this

69699[/snapback]

I thought about it. Alot!

Sorry!

I'm with Ryan on this one. This machine you are talking about is made specifically for roads which I make a serious point of trying to avoid. STRAIGHT LINES. The only Harley you will ever see me own will be a nice old flathead 45. The rest are more or less poser fluff to me, sorry. Just my opinion.

Ciao, Steve G.

At least I can get a speeding ticket on my Guzzi.  :race:  62 mph - you gotta be kidding!!!

Er, he is talking about a 125cc, three speed machine, designed before the second world war. It was the height of two stroke develpoment at the time. The German continuation company after the war (MZ) went on to design/develop the two stroke technology that was "stolen" by Yamaha and used to such great effect in competition.

mike

p.s. 62mph would get you a speeding ticket on most of the roads around here. A year's ban on many of them.

:2c: Mike..it was suzuki that stole mz's technology. Iwould ride a harley if i could handle fingerless gloves,drank jack,didn't like to wave to other riders, liked jewellery,johnny reb boots,all black clothing,studs,heavy bikes,little ground clearance,head scarves,the american way and all my friends looking like clones. :helmet:

Er, he is talking about a 125cc, three speed machine, designed before the second world war.  It was the height of two stroke develpoment at the time.  The German continuation company after the war (MZ) went on to design/develop the two stroke technology that was "stolen" by Yamaha and used to such great effect in competition.

mike

p.s. 62mph would get you a speeding ticket on most of the roads around here.  A year's ban on many of them.

69716[/snapback]

:2c: Mike..it was suzuki that stole mz's technology. Iwould ride a harley if i could handle fingerless gloves,drank jack,didn't like to wave to other riders, liked jewellery,johnny reb boots,all black clothing,studs,heavy bikes,little ground clearance,head scarves,the american way and all my friends looking like clones. :helmet:

69718[/snapback]

Dead right. All these Japanese bikes look alike to me 8-)

It's just the bikes I don't like. Having found a couple of niches that worked, HD has flogged them to death. Would be nice if the management looked outside the envelope occasionally but that's precisely what they are taught not to do.

mike

Iwould ride a harley if i could handle fingerless gloves,drank jack,didn't like to wave to other riders, liked jewellery,johnny reb boots,all black clothing,studs,heavy bikes,little ground clearance,head scarves,the american way and all my friends looking like clones. 

Man do I ever love those types! Many years ago I bought Harley stock rather than a Harley. Now I wave extra hard to "hog" riders since they have made me more than a few pennies. :D:D