Oil Consumption ?

Guest atl.guzzirider

Guest atl.guzzirider

Carl,

As to your inquiry on an update on my march 03 oil consumption question when I had 5k on the bike and it seemed to be using around 1 quart of 15-50 Motul full-sin. between 3k oil changes. I now have 9k on my lemans and the consumption seems to be slowing to closer to around 1/2 a quart between changes, although I must admit I have not kept any records. Right now at 9k the bike is due for a change and I think I will buy an extra qt. of oil for topping off (wow! sounds border-line anal ?) just to see where I am on this now.

Walt Bowen

02 Champaign Lemans

Sorry to keep on this subject. I find discussions on oil use to be a very personal thing, for me and other proud Moto Guzzi owners.

With regard to consumption, I think you will find that oil consumption will rise as the oil gets miles on it, as the shear viscosity breaks down from use.

Synthetic has an added advantage over dino oil in that it has the abilty to remain thinner when cool, [during cold startup] helping in quicker lubrication to vital bearings, and also retains it's thickness during extreme heat. In other words, it is far less affected by ambient temperature than dino oil. So, those out there that feel [correctly] that a change to thinner oil may be needed during winter months, well this is not nesessary with full synthetic.

In my opinion, as also the case for cars, recent trends to thinner oil specs have alot to do with internal engine efficiency, to reduce drag and thereby increase fuel economy. My mom just got herself an '04 Honda Civic, and when looking through the manual for her, noticed oil specs of 5w-20. I've seen some cars out there needing 0w20. That said, I will repeat my self, 15w50 or 20-50 synthetic will more than cover any situation an air cooled angine should encounter. I'd rather have to thick rather than too thin oil. It is after all THE barrier between moving metal parts.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest cdtyler
I now have 9k on my lemans and the consumption seems to be slowing to closer to around 1/2 a quart between changes . . .

Walt, I am glad to hear the good news. That sounds about right, and in line with my experience on my 1996 R1100RT (using Mobil1 15w-50, now with 85k miles). At this point I am planning on staying with the Redline 10w-40 and see where that leaves me after about 12k miles.

Thanks to all for sharing their insight and experience.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WildJackal

I don't have a local dealer to ask so I will defer to the board. Should I be running 5w40, 10w40 or 20w50? I am currently running 10w40 Dino oil and just hit 1100 miles on my new 2002/2003 Sport. I am using 10w40 because it has been under 60F. I had intended to go to 20w50 when it warms up.

When should I be switching to synthetic? I am partial to Mobil 1 for quality and convenience.

Thanks

just hit 1100 miles on my new 2002/2003 Sport.

When should I be switching to synthetic?  I am partial to Mobil 1 for quality and convenience.

Thanks

Wait a little while before switching to synthetics. Your motor isn't even broken in yet, and synthetics are too slick to facilitate a proper break-in (that's what I've read anyhow). I don't know what, or if, there is a recommended mileage to switch from dino to synth oil, but I waited until about 6K myself.

J

Ahh the oild thread again.... :blink:

Short version:

good quality synthetic is always better all the time,

any other statements are pure religion :notworthy:

and should be practised in your local church not in the garage. :luigi:

brgrds,

Tinker-G

And also:

All these questions and answers re "When To switch To Synthetic" do not have any sense since all our bikes WERE FILLED WITH SYNTHETIC AT THE FACTORY!

And that is what factory recommends from day one.

Some religious people never stop. :huh2:

I also think that this religion will die out very soon because in 5 years nobody will carry non-synthetic oil.

You will have to special order it. Like an abacus. :D