Oil Consumption ?

Guest atl.guzzirider

Guest atl.guzzirider

I realize getting into different oil flavors and types is like bring up religious beliefs as far as various beliefs and opinions, however my question is along the lines of oil consumption. On my 02 lemans which currently has just over 5k miles, I have run Motul 15w-50 full synthetic since the 1000 mi service and have had to top it off at times probably adding somewhere between half to one quart between a 3k mi oil change. When new I was told that these bikes come w/full synthetic in them and unlike many other makes it was not necessary to run a blend for a time before switching to synthetic. Don't get me wrong I think blends are fine as well and in time if I don't see any change in reduced consumption I may go to a blend. Getting back to the point at hand does this seem to be in line with what others are seeing? I have heard that the guzzi engines break in slow and have heard by some 10-15k.

Walt Bowen

champaign 02 lemans

You may not have run it in long enogh or hard enough during break in to seat the rings properly. That consumption does seem excessive. Nigusil bores are tough and the rings need to be well loaded to seat. Swap back to Castrol 15w/50 and ride the snot out of it for a couple thousand miles. Use yellow line as a shift point!

I broke my engine in that way. Very short spurts to hi rpm as the bike could take it. Graduating to more or longer sprints at rpm. Mine seems to have broken in well. About 1/2 quart used between changes.

Some BMW owners have experienced this as well by babying the bike during break-in. Then they use alot of oil. You may need to go back to Dino juice for a while!

Guest Brian Robson

I have always been a believer in using non synthetic during running in as well as not babying the motorcycle. My 02 Lemans at the first service was refilled with dino oil at the recommendation of the mechanic (who has a V11 and several older Guzzis).

As an aside, we also fitted the FBF airbox conversion and it and the rest of the tune up transformed the bike and the conversion is worth it for the intake sound alone.

• 8 months later...
Guest cdtyler

Walt, can you provide an update to your experience since March? I have an ’03 with slightly less than 1,000 miles and had the dealer put in Redline 10w – 40 (closest thing I could find to the 5w – 40 synthetic recommended in the owner’s manual) at the 600 mile service. In the last 350 miles, I have noticed a bit of consumption. As to break-in, it’s been by the book with max RPM at 5,000 (6,000 since the 600 mile service). Very cool weather has not provided an opportunity for the engine to get very hot; so, perhaps that is a factor. Any thought/comments would be appreciated.

Carl Tyler

2003 Rosso Corsa

A small amount of oil consumption is normal on AIr cooled engines. Especially since the Rings are not seated yet and you switched to Synthetic. It may take all of 10k to fully seat the rims with Synth. I switched to Synth in mine at 6500 and still have a little consumption at 12500. Not enough to sweat it, maybe 1/3 of a quart between oil changes (6000 mi.)

I think 1000kms is to soon to go to synthetic. I went to 8000kms, then went full synthetic. And don't bother with semi synthetic, it's just an expensive gimick. Go full synthetic, or go good non synthetic.

I've got 22,000kms in 9 months on my V11, and it is just now starting to loosen up, much like my old airhead beemer.

BTW, I use either Agip 15-50 4T full synth., Mobil 1 15-50 full synth, or Kawasaki Canada 15-50 full synth, which ever I can get cheaper. All are JASO, and API spec SG specification.

And in the owners manual, it says change engine oil every 10,000kms. Ah, I don't think so. With full synthetic change at 5,000 kms, and non synthetic 2,000kms. Full synthetic has a higher shear viscosity, therefore retains it's original viscosity longer.

Ciao, Steve G.

One other factor to consider with oil consumption is the length of the ride. if you're taking short hops and shutting down more often the consumtion will be higher.

Riding longer priods at full operating temperature is better for both the consumption and the break in.

( Incantations muttered while casting about the shop wielding the dipstick as a talisman under the influence of mind altering substances has been reported to be effective as long as you don't ride til the next day) :drink:

I started out on motorcycle semi synthetic for atleast the first 10,000 miles, possibly 15,000 miles, and consumed almost no oil.

FWIW I babied it durring break in.

I switched to Motul full synthetic motorcycle oil and started consuming oil shortly there after.

I now consume about a liter every 3000 miles!

I think I am going to try a different brand.

I'd also like to check the valve guides since I am at over 21000 miles now.

Guest cdtyler

Just to be clear, the owner’s manual recommends AGIP 5w-40 SYNTHETIC oil. It is not clear if this is the same oil that the manufacturer puts in the bike as it leaves the factory. Since the manual recommends that the initial oil supply NOT be topped up in case the oil level falls below the recommended minimum (rather, that the oil supply be drained entirely and refilled with fresh oil) one may assume that the factory fill is petroleum based. Nonetheless, at the time of the initial service the manual’s synthetic oil recommendation would apply, indicating that from Moto Guzzi’s point of view synthetic oil is the correct lubricant after the initial break-in. Maybe that is inconsistent with the collective (perhaps correct) wisdom of this list, but if you follow the book, that is the way it should be done.

Just to be clear, the owner’s manual recommends AGIP 5w-40 SYNTHETIC oil.

When did Guzzi change from 20-50 oil to 5-40?? 5-40 is hard to find.

My owners manual reccommends 20-50 weight, which would make sense considering it is an air cooled engine we are talking about, with all the associated air cooled engine clearances. 5-40 makes sense in a liquid cooled engine.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest cdtyler
When did Guzzi change from 20-50 oil to 5-40??  5-40 is hard to find.

Interesting; my bike is a 2003, so perhaps this the first year for the 5w-40 synthetic. I know that my dealer was not familiar with that until I pointed it out to him. I agree about the 5w-40 being hard to find. The one place I found that sold the AGIP oil did not stock it in 5w-40. So, trying to find something close (and reasonably available), I went with Redline 10w-40.

Jason at Moto International mentioned something about a service bulletin coming through that said MG now recommends 5w40 or 10w40 (don't recall which, now, but it was 40 on the upper end). This is for all V11 engines. Presumably every dealer has a copy of this bulletin, but I got the impression MGNA wasn't making a big deal of it, since Micha (the other mechanic there) hadn't heard about it until Jason stumbled across the bulletin.

I concur with SteveG in that the manual (both shop and owners) for my '00 sport specifies 20w50 which is what I have run since new (Castrol Grand Prix dino).

I'm thinking that for those of us running dino a 10w40 (what I have always used in my air-cooled 750 Kawi) might be preferable for the colder winter months in particular...?

Gio