Motorcycle Lifts, Any Suggestions?

Mike Stewart

Another question :stupid: ,

Is the rear wheel dropout a needed option? Seems like if you had to remove the rear wheel you could just use the paddock stand on the floor or am I missing something here :huh2: .

Also how do you support the bike on the lift if you have to remove both wheels for tire replacement or for suspension removal?

I am just trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me :luigi:

What is nice about the Kendon is, it comes complete, no front wheel vise as an extra. It is also more narrow to get close to the bike. Still need to see one up close.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, on my HandiLift I have the front wheel vise which I use to support the front of the bike and hook straps for the rear of the bike. This provides a stable setup even if you have some tugging to do on stubborn fasteners and works for routine maintence like oil changes.

I made a porkchop stand using a 2 sections of 2 x 6 and use it when I have to remove the rear wheel while on the lift. Then I add a scissors jack and protective block under the front of the sump for front wheel removal/work. These used together enable one to remove front and rear wheels at the same time. Obviously the front wheel vise is useless when doing work on the front end.

I saw the need for some lifting from above the bike instead of under when I had the swingarm off so I also made an overhead hoist using 1-1/4" pipe and a cheap ratchet hoist from Northern Tool. That works well when you want access to the underside of the bike without the clutter of an underbike jack as in cleaning or oil pan removal. I use that also to change positions/supports when working underneath.

As for width of the lift mine is 24" wide and sometimes I'd like more width as in putting a bike on the centerstand. Perching on the 8" or so ledge while hoisting a bike up on it's stand is precarious. Plus I have a bad habit of laying tools on the lift table if I know I'm going to need them within reach and that's another time when width/space is an asset. Then some of the cleaning trays/catch pans I use are wide enough to almost use all the 24"width.

My equipment/methods which work well for me.

A local bike shop is selling off their Handy unit, the model with electric motor lift, professional shop use. They have been disapointed with it, but then it has to meet a whole different level of use. They have 9 in use, and will say that the Handy electric is an option they will never look at again.

Ciao, Steve G.

I took a look at the Kendon lift yesterday at the Long Beach Cycle Show. Very nicely made and compresses and rolls away nicely for storage (important to me). One neat feature, you can remove both the front and rear sections to drop either or both of a bike's wheels. They sell a special jack that fits into the track and holds the bike up. The representative also said they were coming out with a air operated version.

that all being said, $599 seems overpriced for such a simple design.