Fine italian

staedtler

No wonder the photo is out of focus  :P

70333[/snapback]

hehe, brilliant wine that. try the whole range of Masi, except the cheap ones. They also have a fabtastic one from Argentina called Masi Tupungato. I find it to be even better...

was on a wineclub-weekend in Toscana two months ago. Dont remember a thing....

AND: theres nothing wrog with downing a whole bottle alone, it just takes more time. And a quality magazine, and some music.

well...i could not keep posting last night... :D

the best part for last....drumrroll please....

DSCN1794.JPG

that's right folks...that's a 77 Marnier! absolutely F...ing fab!!

70418[/snapback]

like as in grand marnier? the hard liqour? whats the big deal with a 77? I'm much too young to know but liqour doesn't get better with age(in the bottle)

I think the beauty of the 77 Grand Marnier is not the aging, but the memories.

I remember hanging out in a bar with my mother in 1977, me and by bro sipping 7UP and Grenadine, and my mother Grand Marnier....

Times have changed.

Today, a twelve year old kid would not be allowed at that bar.

I also wonder if Grand Marnier is as good as it used to be, possibly ruined by corporate greed :huh2:

I seem to remember it being mellower yet less sweet, in the eighties, compared to recently.

Today I would take house brandy over Grand Marnier, but in the eighties I thought it was as good as Martells or Hennessey Cognac.

Maybe my tastes have changed.

Maybe my tastes have changed.

70447[/snapback]

Nice disussion on a tech-website, but nonetheless verrrry important I believe. :bier:

I think not, your taste hasnt changed. The constant adding of more sugar and caramel-ish flavours in order to keep fat and sugarhungry westerners happy has more or less ruined the traditional liquors. Cognac, as an example, has become more or less the Grand Marnier that you loved in the 70s, Grand Marnier has turned into syrup. A a result, they dont sell more of it, but less (stay with your concept!). One can still find pure tastes, though. Like Hennessys Single Barrell Cognac, which dont taste brown fudge but has a lovely pure and light fruity taste to it. Brilliant. And please send me a glass of your 77 Grand Marnier.

Its the same with red wine, theres a lot of cheatin' going on: adding sugar, adding chips of wood, chemicals etc. some australian cellars have a bad reputation for doing this. The best red wine IMHO is italian, because they still keep it pure, but dont stop evolution like the french.

And because bottles almost never are completely closed and chemical processes goes on with the sugar and all, liquors will change in taste as time goes by. After all, scotch whisky brands dont store their best drops for up to 24 years because its fun.

Now, whats the big deal with those motorized bikes?

Its the same with red wine, theres a lot of cheatin' going on: adding sugar, adding chips of wood, chemicals etc. some australian cellars have a bad reputation for doing this. The best red wine IMHO is italian, because they still keep it pure, but dont stop evolution like the french.

That would be because they were caught selling tanker washings mixed with ethylene glycol (antifreeze) as red wine. After that, there was no option but to clean up shop. Not to mention that there was more Soave sold per annum than was produced. Not sure if that one was properly dealt with.

mike

That would be because they were caught selling tanker washings mixed with ethylene glycol (antifreeze) as red wine.  After that, there was no option but to clean up shop.  Not to mention that there was more Soave sold per annum than was produced.  Not sure if that one was properly dealt with.

mike

70466[/snapback]

Theres some ugly stories indeed. Also with the austrian Riesling some 10 years ago, with antifreeze added for that last touch of class. Now that most italian estates are owned either by americans or germans I guess its more "Ordnung und Cleanliness".

Guys... that Marnier is like,...well, it has an Ohlins set up!!

That's a CUVEE DU CENT CINQUANTENAIRE, that's a limited edition that only came out in 77...the thing is the real deal!

after trying that, it makes ANY grand Marnier taste like a lolly pop! :drink:

If you try it you'll know... ;)