Guest jmnvhc

My "starter" bike was a 1994 yellow Yamaha SecaII, which my wife at the time and I shared as we learned to ride after taking our MC safety course... I had been looking at a new Yamaha FZ-1(Fazer 1000) or a 2000 Honda VFR(Interceptor), but then I ran across a review for faired version of the V11 Sport... and that was it.... I was pretty much SOLD  B)

3705[/snapback]

Hi all,

New member to the site in Beaverton OR. I picked up my '04 Gray Ballabio a week ago from MotoInternational in Seattle.

I included the quote above because I thought it was funny how similar in tastes in bikes I had with this person. My first bike was also a '94 SECAII, and I had been considering the FZ1 as well to replace my second bike (Honda Superhawk/Firestorm), but decided on the Guzzi instead.

I love it so far, but I'm already looking at aftermarket exhaust and air intake options, because the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it didn't sound like the private-party V11 I test drove a few weeks before.

It's just not right to keep that exhaust note bottled up. Let the puppies breathe! :D

ha. The first bike I crashed hard was a Seca II! I restored it and sold it for more than I paid! (of course after I healed).

Welcome to the forum. That Ballabio is one fine riding bike -- especially in the tight twisties-- I know-- I've followed Dave Potts on his for hundreds of miles :P You will love that bike.

Funny- I had a VTR1000F.

ha.  The first bike I crashed hard was a Seca II!  I restored it and sold it for more than I paid!  (of course after I healed).

Welcome to the forum.  That Ballabio is one fine riding bike -- especially in the tight twisties-- I know-- I've followed Dave Potts on his for hundreds of miles :P  You will love that bike.

Funny- I had a VTR1000F.

70442[/snapback]

Great minds... :)

Hi all,

New member to the site in Beaverton OR.    I picked up my '04 Gray Ballabio a week ago from MotoInternational in Seattle.

I included the quote above because I thought it was funny how similar in tastes in bikes I had with this person.  My first bike was also a '94 SECAII,  and I had been considering the FZ1 as well to replace my second bike (Honda Superhawk/Firestorm), but decided on the Guzzi instead.

I love it so far,  but I'm already looking at aftermarket exhaust and air intake options, because the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it didn't sound like the private-party V11 I test drove a few weeks before.

It's just not right to keep that exhaust note bottled up.  Let the puppies breathe! :D

70342[/snapback]

Welcome, but careful. Last guy that said that -- your quote -- left your coast and moved to N.C. :D

OBTW, 18K on my Ballabio and love it still. Probably always will. Joy.

Bill

Welcome to the forum!

My first bike was a ratty old Honda CM450 which I dumped and then got a Seca II. That bike was a lot of fun -- but a total PITA... I think I went through 3 chains. So glad the Guzzi is a shaft.

:bier:

Hi all,

I love it so far,  but I'm already looking at aftermarket exhaust and air intake options, because the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it didn't sound like the private-party V11 I test drove a few weeks before.

It's just not right to keep that exhaust note bottled up.   Let the puppies breathe! :D

There may you have to read the Exaust to HP" thread, many listed opinions in exausts there.

I have installed a pair of open MISTRALS on mine(though I have a Sport ie.) for various reason like:

1.The sound is definatelly dry with amplified bass frequencies, in other terms strong-loud but melodic. :food:

Strangelly enough the rhyme of "see you coming" has changed now to "heared you comming".. :grin:

2.I liked the shape of these, thin aluminium cans (the have also ovals as well though) with the oval red logo with gold lettering.(much Guzzi-like) :mg:

3.They are made in Mandelo del Lario from people who are connected with Guzzi's

worked also in the Lanfranconi before as well and from the whole result and build quality it seems to me that they love what they do.

There was no reason for me to opt for something else.

MISTRAL

and can also be found for sale here: Agostini

I have installed a pair of open  MISTRALS on mine(though I have a Sport ie.)

MISTRAL

and can also be found for sale here: Agostini

70513[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome all. I'm still getting used to the Guzzi's small eccentricities ( like the effect of the engine's rotating mass at certain times), but overall I love it. It's just so relaxed and fun to ride... the best handling bike I've ridden by far.

That being said, I'm definitely glad I cut my teeth on a more user-friendly bike. I wouldn't recommend a liter-sized Guzzi for a beginner.

Back to the exhaust advice, it brings up a question that's been at the back of my mind. Will installing aftermarket exhaust and a PCIII void my warranty? Because that would really suck. I'm thinking the safest way is to but slip-ons which won't require a new map.

Is that the case for the Mistrals?

Let me re-phrase that... I wouldn't recommend ANY liter-size bike for a beginner. I wouldn't recommend a Guzzi for anyone not interested in learning to be a better rider :bike:

Because that would really suck.   I'm thinking the safest way is to but slip-ons which won't require a new map.

Is that the case for the Mistrals?

My best advice to that is to drop a email to Agostini.Mistral has open and "closed" models for your bike and they're closer to Guzzi than any other brand out there.

Ask them they'll give you a reliable advice, concerning new exaust and if new mapping needed.I guess they have done this before many many times

• 1 month later...