Bitubo steering damper question

bigbikerrick

Yup...rear shock. If it starts to bleed I suggest a freshning up.

Not rebuildable but for $750 I'd get REAL creative.

The top seal is pressed/sandwiched in....nothing you can do with it....supposedly.

Maybe I got lucky...maybe a cleaning / frehs oil would save someone elses.

Worth a try... Same with the dampner...I'd be trying to find a way to keep it seviceable.

Thats just my way...thats how I got hooked on Guzzi...para millitary...field seviceable

farm equipment...I like that.

70755[/snapback]

Someone on the list had their OEM Sachs rebuilt (re-sprung and re-valved) by Lindemann Engineering. It also involved some machine work to create a new seat for a readily available shock seal. The final results were mixed from what I remember.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weave is a low amplitude, typically high speed, side to side oscillation of the entire wheel base. This was quite typical in the Red Frames delivered with the angular Pirelli Dragon Corsas.

That's exactly the description of my '99 V11 when I first rode it at speed :whistle:. I hated those Pirelli's and quickly changed them to Bridgestone BT020's. With correctly set (White Power) suspension front and rear, Stucchi fairing and correct tyre pressures it now tracks straight and true on motorways.

BTW my Bitubo damper is still functioning correctly after 6 years/45,000 miles and is usually set at 3 clicks out from soft.

Yup...rear shock. If it starts to bleed I suggest a freshning up.

Not rebuildable but for $750 I'd get REAL creative.

The top seal is pressed/sandwiched in....nothing you can do with it....supposedly.

Maybe I got lucky...maybe a cleaning / frehs oil would save someone elses.

Worth a try... Same with the dampner...I'd be trying to find a way to keep it seviceable.

Thats just my way...thats how I got hooked on Guzzi...para millitary...field seviceable

farm equipment...I like that.

70755[/snapback]

I like your way of thinking, what exactly was your procedure for changing the oil in the shock, If you dont mind sharing it.. :D

I happen to be fortunate enough to have an old racing friend who is now in the suspension buisness...So I ended up bringing it to him. He was fairly confident he could

rebuild it but alas was thwarted...he gave it a shot with a cleaning, new sweeper and fresh oil. At the time he felt the operation was probably a failure except perhaps it was a case of the seal drying out and "rolling". (the bike had been laid up for many months)

He insisted on not charging me but I insisted on paying just for the mess if nothing else.

(Been there...done that a few times. hurrendous)

Any way it's been 100% the last 12Kmi. The same service can be done in your garage

(the top screws off...it comes apart...drain...fill...bleed. It's the bleed part thats hell

to me. Gotta get all the air out all the way back to the "gas" bottle. Pumping the piston and pouring oil...more pumping...more pouring.. then get it charged with nitrigen,,,

pain in the butt) but for $75.00 it's a no brainer. If there's someone out there in AZ. that does shocks etc. (Husky uses Sachs) give em a jingle and see what they say, otherwise

you could try my friend now that he's familliar with the Guzzi Sachs.

http://www.ccycle.com/

You didn't mention actually having a problem and since your in AZ you'll probable

be riding so it's not an issue but to anyone laying thier bike up for the winter it

might be a good idea to swab a little lube on that seal.

I happen to be fortunate enough to have an old racing friend who is now in the suspension buisness...So I ended up bringing it to him. He was fairly confident he could

rebuild it but alas was thwarted...he gave it a shot with a cleaning, new sweeper and fresh oil. At the time he felt the operation was probably a failure except perhaps it was a case of the seal drying out and "rolling". (the bike had been laid up for many months)

He insisted on not charging me but I insisted on paying just for the mess if nothing else.

(Been there...done that a few times. hurrendous)

Any way it's been 100% the last 12Kmi. The same service can be done in your garage 

(the top screws off...it comes apart...drain...fill...bleed. It's the bleed part thats hell

to me. Gotta get all the air out all the way back to the "gas" bottle. Pumping the piston and pouring oil...more pumping...more pouring.. then get it charged with nitrigen,,,

pain in the butt) but for $75.00 it's a no brainer. If there's someone out there in AZ. that does shocks etc. (Husky uses Sachs) give em a jingle and see what they say, otherwise

you could try my friend now that he's familliar with the Guzzi Sachs.

http://www.ccycle.com/

You didn't mention actually having a problem and since your in AZ you'll probable

be riding so it's not an issue but to anyone laying thier bike up for the winter it

might be a good idea to swab a little lube on that seal.

70796[/snapback]

Thanks for the info ,Bro. right now my shock is fine( I need to lube the rear eyelet mount to keep it from breaking as suggested here) and Im still riding every day, but its good to have the link you sent me just in case for future reference. Happy Holidays ! :)

( I need to lube the rear eyelet mount to keep it from breaking as suggested here)

70843[/snapback]

OK, I missed that one. Grease the mount bolt? Oil the heims? At the swing arm or the frame? :huh2:

OK, I missed that one. Grease the mount bolt? Oil the heims? At the swing arm or the frame?  :huh2:

70872[/snapback]

Docc, somewhere here ive read that there have been instances of the rear shock mount eyelet on the sachs shock cracking and splitting in half. There has been corrosion found between the eyelet and the mounting bolt, (rearmost one) so it was suggested to remove the bolt,coat with grease ,and re insert it. Hope this helps, Im going to do mine soon.

Docc, somewhere here ive read that there have been instances of the rear shock mount eyelet on the sachs shock cracking and splitting in half. There has been corrosion found between the eyelet and the mounting bolt, (rearmost one) so it was suggested to remove the bolt,coat with grease ,and re insert it. Hope this helps, Im going to do mine soon.

71068[/snapback]

Here's a link to my Shook Horror thread. I think we've knowledge of only 3 or four instances of failures, both top and bottom mount. No definate cause suspected manufacturing defect or damage probably not helped by dry assembly

• 3 years later...

Scary thing, dredging up old threads!

At around 67,000 miles my Bitubo has spit up its oil. With a properly set-up suspension (springs, sag, Ohlins rear, and such) I decided to just take the oil out. It still actually 'damps' when cranked way up, but at the least settings, there is no resistance and low speed parking turns are completely unrestricted. I'm really not sure if that's a good thing . . .

Yet, I hear there have been plenty of early Red Frames stripped of their dampers entirely.

Anyone lived to tell about it?

That one looks a lot more like the original Bitubo than the Hyperpro does.

How does 4,050 Kc translate to the US dollar?

(The Hyperpro is currently $349)

Hey Doc,

I replaced my Bitubo with a cheap Shindy and have no complaints, but I don't have one of those treacherous red frames :P . Traxxion Dynamics had a higher quality rebuildable damper available for the V11, but I don't see it on their website anymore. I'm sure a phone call would get you the info on it.

FWIW here's my steering damper thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...5&hl=Shindy