Dripping TB's

Mr. Bean

I didn't want to hijack Alex-Corsa's thread http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6829

But since he posted pictures of his TB's and where they apparantly drip fuel from the pivot screw assembly. Mine has always done this from new. It has been mostly just a nuisance as I could just clean it every time I washed the bike. Now that cold weather is upon us, it seems to do it a lot more...to the point where sometimes I can actually smell fuel when I wheel the bike into the garage after a ride. It drips enough now that it will drip down on to the transmission. It only does it on the side with the TPS, not the other side. I have thoroughly cleaned the entire tb from the outside with carb cleaner then taken the bike for a long ride at highway speeds. Same amount of dripping when I get back. I've tried cleaning then just ride in the city...same result.

I tried putting a leaner map in the PCIII, same amount of dripping. The spark plugs look perfect with the regular map. The bike has the stock airbox, filter, snorkles and pipes. I removed the charcoal cannister way back when I bought it and rerouted the hoses. I have one hose that simply connects the two vaccum ports and then the one from the gas tank is vented to the atmosphere. The fuel seems to be a bit "oily" as it doesn't evaporate as fast as gasoline normally does so I suspect that there is some oil in it as well. I assume :huh2: that this means it is actually some of the oily blow-by that enters the airbox as part of the breather system.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this or should I just ignore it and chalk another one up to :mg: ?

Thanks,

Randy

I didn't want to hijack Alex-Corsa's thread http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6829

But since he posted pictures of his TB's and where they apparantly drip fuel from the pivot screw assembly.  Mine has always done this from new.  It has been mostly just a nuisance as I could just clean it every time I washed the bike.

Oooops O.K. now I can sleep easy on that.Nice to mension it.

Now that cold weather is upon us, it seems to do it a lot more...to the point where sometimes I can actually smell fuel when I wheel the bike into the garage after a ride.  It drips enough now that it will drip down on to the transmission.  It only does it on the side with the TPS, not the other side.  I have thoroughly cleaned the entire tb from the outside with carb cleaner then taken the bike for a long ride at highway speeds.  Same amount of dripping when I get back.  I've tried cleaning then just ride in the city...same result.

I tried putting a leaner map in the PCIII, same amount of dripping.  The spark plugs look perfect with the regular map.  The bike has the stock airbox, filter, snorkles and pipes.  I removed the charcoal cannister way back when I bought it and rerouted the hoses.  I have one hose that simply connects the two vaccum ports and then the one from the gas tank is vented to the atmosphere.  The fuel seems to be a bit "oily" as it doesn't evaporate as fast as gasoline normally does so I suspect that there is some oil in it as well.  I assume  :huh2:  that this means it is actually some of the oily blow-by that enters the airbox as part of the breather system.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this or should I just ignore it and chalk another one up to  :mg: ?

Thanks,

Randy

71720[/snapback]

All very interesting info here. To me that seems to be a point where it is impermeable and air goes in and out.I tried to tighten the screws but not really effective (better than before though)Not by any means (or never was) at the status you describe.

Try carefully doing the same but then again if the bike works O.K. then you shouldn't worry.

:bier:

Is the fuel pressurized behing the throttle screw? My guesses would be one of two possibilities- the system is overpressurized, or the seal is no good.

First, I would check the fuel pressure.

Then, can you change out the seal? I assume it's an o-ring, but I don't know.

Is the fuel pressurized behing the throttle screw?  My guesses would be one of two possibilities- the system is overpressurized, or the seal is no good.

First, I would check the fuel pressure.

Then, can you change out the seal?  I assume it's an o-ring, but I don't know.

71762[/snapback]

1.You mean by checking the fuel pump pressure? OR?

2. None of the screws seem to be deasempled physically , nor is there any part for seals in the part book as well (at least for my bike), so this thing is robust.

Could this high pressure thing be connected with the air-filtering in some way?

I see If I let the idle too low 800-900rpm or so there would be an occasional cough where just a bit of benzine would be spitted out of any of the both screws,and then the motro will go off.

My 2000 V11 always did this also but I am not sure if it was all the time. I think it is from the injector seeping fuel when the bike is off. Not really a problem, the bike always started fine the first crank with out any smoking or such.

Mike

Well, I'll let others more knowledgeable than I am address how to measure the fuel pressure. I'd just put a "Tee" on the line and measure it that way.

Give me a day or so to look at the throttle bodies and see if I can figure anything out....

Alex,

by benzine, you mean gasoline or petrol, right?

Alex,

by benzine, you mean gasoline or petrol, right?

71784[/snapback]

Yep :blush:

Mike...

Well my bike does some smokes at start up and pulling the throtle up to 3000-3500 or a bit more all the time.(with these custom chips) see other thread of mine. :wacko: - Except with the Dynotec chip.

It must be another one of those Guzzi things. Mine has done it from new, it is something I have never worried about. It weeps only enough to be noticed and never enough to drip. Only from the right hand side as well. I guess if I had worried about I would have asked the same question as Alex, how do you fix it?

Rob

I complained of this with my 2000 Sport under warranty. The dealer said," Don't turn the the pump on and off briefly without running the bike. Don't run the motor briefly like just to listen to the pipes, The remaining pressure in the lines will give the leak."

Guzzi then, under warranty, replaced the entire injection rack ( throttle bodies , injectors, TPS and linkage ). The motor had to be loosed from the frame to do this. What a project! The RH TB still dripped after( maybe not quite as bad). I give Guzzi credit for trying all they could do to make it right.

Now I am careful not to * briefly * run the motor as this appears to increase the drip. :rolleyes: