Oscillation in Front End of V11 Sport

Reformed Squid

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After checking tyres steering head bearings etc etc. Get the static sags right steering dampeners do not affect the handling of a bike in any way contary to popular belief. The merely disguse a symptom of poor setup. The Guzzis can be go to turn reasnobly well and handle enough to give most sports bike riders a run much to thier disgust. It however takes time to set them up and learn how to ride it the wieght balance I wouldn't worry about too much other than seriously consider fitting proper clipon handle bars to the for legs, The wieght distribution means the bike will tend to shunt the front end around/understeer on the way out of a corner rather than light the rear and oversteer.

But get those static sags right without them you are a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there.

Yea...crappy handling bikes like the Aprillia RSV1000 factory bike.

In brief the R and the Factory look about the same but the Factory gets a few lighter pieces, Ohlins front and back, radial Brembos up front and OZ forged aluminum wheels. If you have the disposable income, the extra $4000 or so for Ohlins forks, shock, steering damper, radial Brembos and a set of OZ rims is a screaming deal.

P1010048.jpg

Get the static sags right steering dampeners do not affect the handling of a bike in any way contary to popular belief.

But get those static sags right without them you are a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there.

72007[/snapback]

This is so true ,yet, before I got my sag ( preloads) set up the increased steering damper settings definately affected the weave adversely.

Now, with better tires, pressures, damping and preload the steering damper has much less adverse effect on weave.

Yea...crappy handling bikes like the Aprillia RSV1000 factory bike.

In brief the R and the Factory look about the same but the Factory gets a few lighter pieces, Ohlins front and back, radial Brembos up front and OZ forged aluminum wheels. If you have the disposable income, the extra $4000 or so for Ohlins forks, shock, steering damper, radial Brembos and a set of OZ rims is a screaming deal.

72017[/snapback]

Yep and without proper static sags you can get that bike to handle just as badly as any stepthru carrying two bags of cement. The steering dampener will not fix it.

Yep and without proper static sags you can get that bike to handle just as badly as any stepthru carrying two bags of cement. The steering dampener will not fix it.

72251[/snapback]

Absolutely true.

But to say "They merely disguse a symptom of poor setup. "...?

I never saw a top race bike without a steering damper........they gotta be doin' sumptin'

:2c:

From your thread name, I'll assume you either have or have had Japanese sport bikes in your paddock. An honest person would freely admit that while one can expect a good handling bike in a V11 based Guzzi, it will never handle like a current series true sport bike.

Frond end wobling on a Guzzi isn't a familliar thing (except if Guzzi has got it wrong with this new ones-)

I can scratch pegs at my Sporti and the front end is rock solid pointed where it has to ,without any miss.On greater turns of 160-200km/h at the point where all the rear tyre grip is used is also like that as well.

Wrong tyres and suspension can do this (wobling)at first place.If the bike is new then probably are the ones mentioned .If the asphalt quality is bad ,or road not exact flat , then some shaking can occure.

Or else can be (also)bad condition of bearings and so on.

I'd suggest Mezelers M1 sportecs,give total grip in most any conditions , very accurate and quick geometry

Edited by Alex-Corsa

I agree about the stock Battlcrap tire. I switched to pirelli up front & that made a huge difference.

71970[/snapback]

Fascinating! I've ridden my Scura for 24000 miles, on Battlax 020s from new - never had a problem other than identifying the right inflation figures - handbook says one thing, Bridgestone say another. I ended up with 33psi front, 36 rear - get about 7000 miles from a front tyre and 4000 from a rear - wear is fairly even and the road-holding is impeccable. I do blast her quite a bit, the chicken strip is non-existent (well, almost!!!). Never carry a pillion, and I'm underweight rather than overweight, so never touched any of the Ohlins settings either - it seems as if the bike was designed with me (or my body mass and riding style) in mind.

Come to think of it, when I last looked in the mirror after a shower, I saw what looked like an M on one bun, and a G on the other - probably stands for My Goodness - My Guinness!!! :bier:

Fascinating! I've ridden my Scura for 24000 miles, on Battlax 020s from new - never had a problem other than identifying the right inflation figures - handbook says one thing, Bridgestone say another. I ended up with 33psi front, 36 rear - get about 7000 miles from a front tyre and 4000 from a rear - wear is fairly even and the road-holding is impeccable. I do blast her quite a bit, the chicken strip is non-existent (well, almost!!!). Never carry a pillion, and I'm underweight rather than overweight, so never touched any of the Ohlins settings either - it seems as if the bike was designed with me (or my body mass and riding style) in mind.

Come to think of it, when I last looked in the mirror after a shower, I saw what looked like an M on one bun, and a G on the other - probably stands for My Goodness - My Guinness!!!  :bier:

72411[/snapback]

I didnt think the stock tire was bad either. That is until I switched to a Pirelli supercorsa front tire. Granted the supercorsa is a track tire & will handle better but wear out faster, & it did. This spring I'll put a new Pirelli on the front but it will be the longer wearing one. Maybe then I can give a more apples to apples comparison to the stock Bridgestone, but by then too much time will have passed to compare them. Btw I put a bt10 on the rear & I like that one just fine, but I will likely get the matching Pirelli rear when I get the front tire replaced in the spring. Next time you're in the mood to switch tires try the stickier ones & see if you dont agree that the bike handles/rides much better.

....Scura for 24000 miles, on Battlax 020s from new - never had a problem ....I do blast her quite a bit....

If you don't have a problem w BT020's then you're not blasting hard enough.

Worn/cupped 020 gives a disconcerting front end oscillation when pushed. Diablos are more stable when worn & have more grip.

Re other stuff - Murray said it.

KB :sun:

If you don't have a problem w  BT020's then you're not blasting hard enough.

KB :sun:

72414[/snapback]

Hmm... did that a lot - ended up in hospital 3 times - probably blasting too hard. Memories of the busted pelvis keep flashing back and I guess that takes a few mph off the Blasting Base Level!!!

Hmm... did that a lot - ended up in hospital 3 times - probably blasting too hard. Memories of the busted pelvis keep flashing back and I guess that takes a few mph off the Blasting Base Level!!!

72424[/snapback]

I mustn't be blasting at all. I got 8400 miles from the original BT57 rear, and the front BT57 is only just ready for changing at 11000 miles.

I guess I must be ready for a BMW..... :blush:

My 01 Sport was a little twitchy on quick transitions and sweepers for my taste. I slowed down the steering down and added more stability by raising the forks in the triple clamps. I think I raised it 1/2". Also, I back the steering damper completely out. If you want more details, go to Guzzitech.com.

Tam

2001 V11 Sport

Guest ratchethack

Tam, did your get your post backwards? Raising the fork tubes in the triples quickens steering and decreases stability. If you raised 'em 1/2" and fully backed off the steering damper after finding it a little twitchy, you might be tempting the ol' "tank slap" - particularly if your laden fork sag is excessive, as is typical with stock springs and spacers, and if your weight is significantly over 150 lb. This'd add up to a potentially unhealthy recipe. Best check things. Ed and Todd have this pretty well sorted at GuzziTech. -_-