Breaking in new tires

bigbikerrick

Well, Doc, I don't wanna get into a solvent-spraying contest with you, but for starters, I would encourage you to chat with a tire engineer if y'er so inclined.  It might be important to understand that the solvents in lacquer thinner have no reactive potential with any of the chemical components of tires, both compounds being relatively chemically inert.  This means that there is no "chemical change" (to use your terms) possible when placed in contact.  I'm sure your tire engineer would concur.

As far as pulling "volatiles" out of a few thousandths of an inch of the surface of a tire, this is exactly what I hope to achieve with a wipe-down of lacquer thinner!  It's simply more effective than soapy water at doing the same thing.

One of the properties of lacquer thinner that makes it so effective as a solvent is that it's so volatile that it evaporates on surfaces very rapidly, leaving behind almost no residue.  This makes it ideal as a final surface prep for painting.  I would expect that any "residue" left behind on a tire after a quick wipe-down to be undetectable with the most sophisticated spectrum analysis, or even resonance analysis.

You can no doubt find someone with some laboratory qualifications who will say that lacquer thinner on a tire for some indeterminate length of time would be detrimental.  You've already found one here, since I agree.  If you soaked tires in an enclosed vat of heated lacquer thinner for a few months, the tire compounds would no doubt begin to soften at the surface as the more volatile components went into solution.  Going into solution would be a change in physical properties without a "chemical change".  But this isn't at all what I'm suggesting. 

Hey - I'm not even suggesting that anyone do what I do.  It's a free country.  But a quick wipe of the surface of a new tire with lacquer thinner ain't gonna hurt any tire, and I'm sure your tire engineer would agree if you pose the question "quick wipe down with a towel" rather than "soaking in a vat". :huh2:  :whistle:

If we can't agree on this that's fine with me but it's getting a little tedious now and I, for one, am losing interest, as I've got Guzzi maintenance on the agenda! :P

72624[/snapback]

Hey, I appreciate the flow of discussion, not really wanting to be contentious at all. I think we agree on every front here, with the exception of how relatively inert things like laquer thinner might affect a tire. I'm sure that the brief exposure you're referring to is probably fine, and I'm also sure that you're a better chemist than I. Happy New Year and I hope your tires wear appreciably as you use then as they are intended :bier:

dk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
Just been rereading the whole thread- after all these worries has anyone on a Guzzi actually crashed because of slippery new tyres?

I know many many Guzzi riders and have never heard of one instance.

See Greg's post in this thread (#25).

Just been rereading the whole thread- after all these worries has anyone on a Guzzi actually crashed because of slippery new tyres?

That's right and why worry about new tyres , wear them up go make some miles carefully, some turns here and there so that the tyre steps well all over and you're ready.

Have read the stories on this thread about people slipping on bike with new tyresand the question I ask my self when I hear someone got slipped on new tires is : Can people be so amature? They'd better shouldn't ride at all for their own safety.

It also really sounds silly to just drop solvents and stuff to the tyre just to avoid a bit of work. Y' know something you'll damage your tyres pouring stuff all over ,just avoiding doing it correct.

:bier:

It's human nature to blame externalities when you f*uk up.

The fact of the matter is, if you lose control of your bike whatever the condition of the tyres, it's your fault.

The phrase "It's a bad workman that blames his tools" comes to mind.

The phrase "It's a bad workman that blames his tools" comes to mind.

72664[/snapback]

Thats why I buy good tools :D and I do wear good protective gear and regularly check my tire pressure.

I know, some of you are so talented you could ride your Guzzi across an ice skating rink while wearing flip-flops and no helmet.

I am not that talented, I hate riding in the rain, I am a below average athlete, my bowling average is less than 150 after seven years of bowling weekly, my softball fielding average is worse than the girls on the team, but I keep trying, and likewise, I am not giving up riding, just being careful, and knowing my limits.

Thats why I buy good tools :D and I do wear good protective gear and regularly check my tire pressure.

I know, some of you are so talented you could ride your Guzzi across an ice skating rink while wearing flip-flops and no helmet.

I am not that talented, I hate riding in the rain, I am a below average athlete, my bowling average is less than 150 after seven years of bowling weekly, my softball fielding average is worse than the girls on the team, but I keep trying, and likewise, I am not giving up riding, just being careful, and knowing my limits.

72674[/snapback]

Yep...careful...thats all...it's the stupid things that get ya.

In and out of parking lots and intersections...following someone too close

because your going soo slow. ...I'm pretty much a chicken around traffic..

I don't wanna get hurt just because I THOUGHT the old lady was turning left ...

JUST BECAUSE SHE HAD HER LEFT DIRECTIONAL ON....I wait...I ain't goin'

no where...I'm savin' myself for the good road.

72674[/snapback]

Drink more beer. Cures a world of evils.

Guest trispeed

almost half a million miles here, Gold wings to race bikes ( 89 in all) , all weather riding is my experience. Don't sand, scrub, treat with chemicals, as there just isn't anything on the tires to take off. Give it a few miles with gently increasing lean angles and you're good to go. Don't just run down the highway for a while and expect the edges of the tire to stick perfectly the first time at high speed. I have a wide street nearby that I slalom down slowly ( 20 MPH, or so) , in order to rough/ scrub the whole tread with little load.

Heat cycles have nothing to do with it, either. We've all seen guys crash on cold, broken-in tires.

Guest tiger956

:mg: Breaking in new tires has always been something to take very seriously...With Peter's help i've been working on a 2002 LeMans, my first Moto Guzzi but my 100th motorcycle and I put two new Pirrelli's and getting used to a new motorcycle at the same time in the winter, the key is always go slow around the corners and be extremely careful with the throttle and after some mile lean over alittle bit farther and break in the tires as carefully as you would main bearing on the crankshaft. I think throttle control is the secret but it probably depends on rider and the motorcycle....By the way I love my Moto Guzzi LeMans more than my Aprilia or Ducati so far...hopefully it will be as dependable. Happy New Year All Gary

:bier:

Guest ratchethack
Don't sand, scrub, treat with chemicals, as there just isn't anything on the tires to take off.

Well, Gents - to each his own. When I posted the solvent scrub/sanding method I've been using, I was responding to Rick's implied question in the topic of the thread -

"Breaking in new tires - there's got to be a faster way"

Well I reckon there IS, and this doesn't make what I did previously for many dozens of tires on a dozen motorcycles for over 40 years (taking it easy, adding lean angle) wrong - nor does it suggest that what anybody else does to break in tires is wrong!!!

I've slid on new tires more'n a few times without crashing, and many have slid and crashed. This is entirely unnecessary, IMHO. The first aspect of this discussion is the fact that no one ever knows for sure what substance might be on the surface of new tires unless they take precautions to make sure that NOTHING is! Nearly anything imaginable can be picked up in shipping, handling, and mounting. Many (including me) have new tires mounted by the pro's. Take a look at the cement floor under the tire-mounting machine next time you're in the back of any moto shop... :doh:

As I believe I've explained, the solvent/sanding technique I posted above is more of an "insurance policy" or "safety step" that VERY QUICKLY (think "faster way" as in the thread topic) takes any concern about surface contaminants out of the picture and prep's the tires for full confidence at all lean angles. It's NOT "cheating" or lazines - in fact, it requires focused (though not very time-consuming) effort. Of course, many will be unwilling or simply unable to consider it. It's just an alternative that I think answers the implied question in the topic of the thread.

I recognize (and occasionally demonstrate ) that any time anyone posts an idea that's NEW or DIFFERENT, it's gonna draw gound-fire from those who've been doing it another way "forever"... I understand. But can we at least make an attempt to keep something resembling an open mind, in case a new idea might actually have merit and value for somebody else who might be interested enough and "adventurous enough" to try it - even if it's not for everyone?

Part of what makes this Forum so powerful is the ability to draw criticism from many with diverse backgrounds and experience in case some aspect of a new idea might be missing. I welcome it! This is exactly what adds confidence to, and "case-hardens" a new idea!

I think I've successfully defended the merit of solvent wipe-down, or at the very least washing new tires with soap - they accomplish the same thing. Sanding new tires the way I do it, and I assume it's much the same way Greg Field does it, doesn't excessively wear down tires. What do you think riding on 'em does?? - but it DOES put focused wear nearly instantly (again - remember the "faster way" part of the thread topic?) in the exact area you want it so that the RISK of a new-tire low-side is minimized - to the ZERO point, IMHO.

Since I started my "tire-prep" technique, I haven't slipped once on new tires, and I haven't worried about it in the first few high-speed sweepers, either.

BAA, TJM, & YMM quite possibly (but not very likely!) V :lol:

What Hack said.

Most of the sanding is to both sides of center. Who here wears out his tires on the edges before on the center, in street riding? Not many, if any, I'd guess.

All you need do is break the glaze.

And consider this: While you are riding ever so gently to break in your slippery new tires, what if some dumbass pulls a stunt that requires extreme maneuvers on your part to avoid a collision? You'll be on your ass is what.

But, it's your hide and your bike, so do what you want. I'll pull out the sandpaper and have tires that stick from the first centmeter I drive on them.

Guest trispeed

all this sanding and scrubbing takes more time than just doing it the right way; ride carefully for a couple miles with some gentle side to side moves that use all the tread. You're done in a lot less time.