Breaking in new tires

bigbikerrick

all this sanding and scrubbing takes more time than just doing it the right way; ride carefully for a couple miles with some gentle side to side moves that use all the tread. You're done in a lot less time.

72764[/snapback]

that also depends on the quality of tire you purchased, If you went cheapass I suggest you sand them a little. not talking about taking miles off the life here just scuff it up. If you got real nice ones, Ride nice and go easy for half a day maybe. :huh2:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

half a day!?! try half a mile, c'mon, this is really simple everybody.

72790[/snapback]

Depends on your tires once again if you have pirelli dragons just blow off the dust and you can take some twisties right out the shop, got more touring tires might want to work'em in compounds can make a difference and every tire is different. I said half a day as I don't ride as much as most and my roads around here are real flat and straight, biggest curves I've seen are clover leafs. My tires took awhile(week or so) to feel good and grippy or fully scrubbed I guess I could have taken a mile on the clock in a parking lot doing bigger and bigger cureves for 5 minutes. But I only know that now. ANYway had been riding on my new tires for almost a week and took a clover at more of an angle than I thought would be serious and the backend slid a wee bit. Enough to make me almost wet myself but I'm sure it wasn't even noticable to the guy behind me. :huh2: Just saying scrub'em in good.