Anybody follow the Dakar Rally?

Guzzirider

Just watched the highlights of stage one on Eurosport- there were some nutters on a Harley V Rod sidecar combination splashing through the mud and water.

Must be the toughest off road race in the world- I'll be following the progress of Charlie Boorman and the rest of the Brits.

Guy :helmet:

Just watched the highlights of stage one on Eurosport- there were some nutters on a Harley V Rod sidecar combination splashing through the mud and water.

Must be the toughest off road race in the world- I'll be following the progress of Charlie Boorman and the rest of the Brits.

Guy  :helmet:

72732[/snapback]

wish I had Eurosport.......good luck to Charlie...nice guy met him at Goodwood Festival...

We get a british based half hour highlights package in the afternoon on the local TV. Unfortantly in half an hour they barely cover where they went and the results in the bike car and truck division. The less mainstream divisions just don't get a look in. Does anyone know what the actual issue was with DAF? the team manager wasn't giving much away other than the organisers told them they couldn't compete at the very last moment. Andy Caldecot 9th after day one not bad for basically a privateer.

72732[/snapback]

Here is Robbie Gordons site which has some pretty decent coverage. http://www.robbygordon.com/cms/publish/index.shtml Robbie is running a wild rear engine, carbon fiber bodied Hummer. In the first stage he came from 34th to 14th.

Here is Robbie Gordons site which has some pretty decent coverage. http://www.robbygordon.com/cms/publish/index.shtml  Robbie is running a wild rear engine, carbon fiber bodied Hummer. In the first stage he came from 34th to 14th.

72822[/snapback]

I saw him last night on TV- thats a hell of a big car!

Aussie Andy Caldecott won the stage today by over 3 minutes- what a great ride.

Website has not been updated with positions so I don't know the Brit situation yet although I notice that Charlie Boorman was 172nd yesterday in front of quite a few experienced riders and his mentor Simon Pavey.

Coverage is very thin here. The Dakar site has a pretty good daily summary while the KTM site covers bikes well as this is a huge PR event for them.

IMHO Speedvision continues to degrade into lame couch potato programming. I also wish we got Eurosport.

Website has not been updated with positions so I don't know the Brit situation yet although I notice that Charlie Boorman was 172nd yesterday in front of quite a few experienced riders and his mentor Simon Pavey.

72889[/snapback]

I'm given to understand he finished 154th with Pavey 155th and Hall 156th right behind him (stage and scratch positions). They appear to be following team orders in supporting Charlie. I believe the objective is to get Charlie to the finish and make a programme. The other team members may not be fullfilling their potential but that's not what they're there for. -

- Did you see the 125cc GP I think it was 3 races from the end. Two KTMs had buggered off into the distance and the number two rider kept harriering his team mate making it obvious that he was the faster of the two and slipped him on the home straight taking the win and in doing so ensure his team mate couldn't take the title and didn't better his 3rd position overall.

There are times when you you have to make those scarafices. Pavey has to remain behind Charlie so if he has bike problems he can hand over his bike, sort Charlies if possible and then catch up.

Too many people knock Charlie after the LWR. The LWR was possible due to Ewans bankablity. Following its success this has been transfered to Charlie. And this may raise the profile of the Paris - Dakar in the public eye which can only be a good thing, it won't to BMW any harm either.

I've not been able to catch any of the programmes yet :(

Quick check of adjusted positions shows 135 137 and 134

Lets hear it for the norwegian Pål Anders Ullevålssæter (impossible name, i know), finished seventh (I think) two years ago and ninth the year before that (as best amateur/rookie). Last year ended with a broken collar bone, but he won the WC in Desert Rally earlier that year.

He drove down there in his own mobile home, with a crew of... one, financing everything himself with his family team and has secured himself a brilliant new KTM at last.

Yesterday at the first African leg he finished 10th, and climbed 14 places on the overall ranking.

Big him up!

Guest citimoto

Not sure if any of you guys drop in on advrider.com but there are a couple of guys on the board from San Francisco who are in the Dakar as privateers. Look under Racing in the forum. Nice bunch of guys.