Help: Pesky Oil Drip

Guest carlomoto

Guest carlomoto

I'm fighting a pesky oil drip on my '03 V11. I'm thinking the nut on the drain isn't tight enough.

I've got a torque wrench . . . what's the standard ft/lbs for this nut? Want it tight, but don't want to strip it.

Thanks.

Carlomoto,

Be real careful when you tighten that bolt. You really, really don't want to strip out those threads. Most of the time, a leak like this can be fixed by using a new aluminum crush-washer. It should be replaced every time you loosen the drain plug.

I'll wrap teflon tape around the drain plug to help seal it. Be careful if you do this to not have any tape up inside the crankcase (start a couple of threads down). The oil passages can get clogged if any stray bits of teflon get in them. Bad stuff happens after that.

Cheers,

Jason

Are you sure the oil leak is from the crankcase? I find spots under my bike on occasion. I know they're from the transmission aft end somewhere, but have never located an actual leak. It could just be oil from the transmission breather. If you have some of the oil, compare it with your motor oil just to be certain that you're looking in the right place. The V11 Sports seem to have a weakness for oil leaks, but not necessarily in the engine area itself.

Well, if you bring it to the shop now, you might have it back before summer is over. :lol: Assuming that you don't run into a parts problem. :grin:

We need to know if your leak is from the engine or transmission in order to guide you on.

We need to get together for a ride! :bike:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scott

As stated above, the "leak" may not be coming from where you initially suspect. My LeMans has always had a slight seepage of oil from the aft area above the tranny. I think it is coming from a breather tube (I make sure not to overfill the tranny) and works its way down the left side of the engine case. A couple of drips usually work themselves on to the crossover; thus burnt to invisible hydrocarbons at the next start of the engine. B)

If the leak is gear oil and left side, check where the shafts penetrate the side case. One is visible below the starter but the other is behind it.

If they're wet. clean with a q-tip and sol;vent, seal with a good RTV silicone.