On the Lighter side

DeBenGuzzi

Guest Nogbad
And Btw if you guys think I'm posting too much on here. My wife does a babycenter and Hug forum for reasons unbeknownst  to me. Most of the ppl on her threads have 2,000-5,000 posts and have only been posting for a year now One Mom got 5,000 post in, in 3 MONTHS!!! I axks her, If they're posting that rediculous amount of posts, Whos watching thier kids anyway?  :huh2:  :unsure:

73719[/snapback]

Doesn't surprise me in the least. As soon as a baby girl learns to talk she doesn't stop yapping until she dies. Same must go for internet connected ones.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then we grow up and are corrupted by the realities of the daily grind. 

73732[/snapback]

grumpy, "you lost that lovin' feelin' " for music at least

The Daily Grind is one reason to listen to good music, ...

ride good motorcycles (and listen to Guzzi's 'music'),

drink good bourbon (Woodford Rserve) & good wine (Australian Syrahs in the Coonawara region),

eat good food

see good sites/art, etc.

music is just another diversion

It's never really the same past your twenties...

73732[/snapback]

It is not the same, but you definitely appreciate the new, good music more since there is a lot of bad stuff out there today. Also, once you listen to some of the old stuff (after a long haitus), you recognize the timeless music - Cash, Ziggy Stardust, The Doors.

Anyone into punk-ish Rockabilly ? "18 Wheeler" is out of Colorado. They aren't as hard edged as Social Distortion but they rock anyway.

Ok then, I'll thow my shi*t out there-

Art Blakey absolutely rocks. Try 'Moanin' or 'Night in Tunisia'

If you like weird Jazz, listen to the Lounge Lizards- they are very good, but dissonant.

Anything by Stan Getz, but that's Bossa Nova

Anything by Oscar Pettiford- best damn cellist...evar. Not to be confused with Oscar Peterson- a piano player and also very good.

I just got a Julie Christie album that is fabulous- 'something cool'

And don't forget Stan 'The Man' Turrentine or Jimmy Smith (on the Hammond B3 organ!!). If you like guitar intstead, there's Wes Montgomery- go for the early works, though.

Um, rock stuff- been listening to The Band, Van Morrison, the Ventures, the Mar-Keys, and Desmond Dekker.

Blues- offhand- For modern stuff, give Duke Robillard a listen. He is way good and not well recognized. Cajun influenced blues. I've been listening Charlie Musselwhite and Albert King a lot lately, but you could go back to the classics and get some Magic Sam, some Sleepy John Estes, JB Lenoir, Elmore James, Champion Jack Dupree, Jimmy Rodgers, Buster Dupree, etc. All good, but primitive.

The most modern I've been listening to is Aimee Mann and 'Lost in Space' is just brilliant.

Holly Cole is a modern Jazz singer- not everyone likes her stripped-down style. Your wife will, you might not.

For Country AND Western (both kinds) try Asleep at the Wheel- country swing and a lot of fun. He's following in the tradition of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Just fun music, even if it is 'country'. Other Non-traditional types...Lyle Lovette (he rides a Ducati, but I won't fault him), Elvin Bishop (sort of), Jimmy Dale Gilmore is pretty good, and one more guy I can't think of. I don't even like country music that much, but the above are pretty good.

Aaannnd, finally- don't listen to my suggestions if you want. Let the music genome project make some suggestions for you. Go to this website: http://www.pandora.com/ and put in a few songs or artists and it will analyze the style and make suggestions of similar music. It's free (for now) and a cool experiment. And free. I'm just cheap right now, but I'm working up to be curmudgeony. V50man, get the hell off my lawn.

http://www.pandora.com/

73762[/snapback]

That's really cool!

I miss getting trashed at friends' homes and being convinced that their music was really cool...

This is similar, but without the hangover and the smell of spilled skunk water on my clothes. :D

I plugged in The Legendary Pink Dots, and the trip has been interesting, but now I am at Collective Soul...I don't follow the logic....fast forward...ah...back to the Dots....but now they are boring me...Now there is some band called Stars that sounds like Death Cab for Cutie, but lamer....and now 13 & goD sounds nice...this is sooooo cool!

But, maybe I should plug in Miles Davis, Coltrane, Monk, and Dollar Brand :huh2:

Thanks Jason!

PS

really enjoyed the Black Angels.

Lots of good hard to pin influences in their music.

Thanks Hoytstaab!

I love some Irish music I don't know if you have a chance check out "The Tim Malloys" I couldn't get thier link to work www.timmalloys.com they are a local band but from ireland I'm sure. We have many irish bars and an irish festival and you name it seems everyone wants to be irish these days. I love thier song about an orange sash. Or a song about being in the british army? hehe  :whistle:

73729[/snapback]

I'll check them out, thanks.

You can't wind me up about Brits in Ireland, Ben: I have Irish blood. My forefathers were Orange, but my sympathies are firmly Republican. How's that for mixed up?

How about George Formby and Harry Lauder. One raced the Isle of Man and the other wore a kilt. Without them we would not have those old favourites like "When I'm Cleaning Windows" or "If its a Bra Bricht Moonlicht Nicht Ta'nicht Then You're Alricht, Ya Know!" Personally I believe it is songs like these that have warmed our hearts (but not the globe) for years and will for years to come!

The band "Jet" (album = Get Born) is very good if you like a Black Crowes, early Stones, AC/DC kind of sound plus some very nice ballads. It is honest rock and roll without a lot of effects or overdubs. You may heard the blistering single "Cold heart bitch" from the album and wondered who wrote it - these are the guys. That song title sounds angry but they are actually 4 young guys in their prime who are loving being in a R&R band. I think they are from Australia - which is always a good sign in the rock world.

Guest philbo

Music_Listing.pdf

The Spazzy's, The Living end, Wolfmother, Paul Mac, Rammstien, Le Tigra, Hoodu Guroo's, Melincolin sp? Jet , Buterfingers. Eh that will keep you busy for a bit.

73657[/snapback]

Are the Hoodoo Guru's still around? I haven't seen much from them since "Mars needs Guitars"

Aside from that, I found a good use for iTunes - I cataloged the 200 or so CD's that I keep in my 250 CD changer just to listen to when I can't be bothered looking though the whole collection. It works well as a PDF - people stop by and you hand them menu and tell them to choose - that way they don't complaing about what I choose. Anyhow, what's wrong with Stabbing Westward during dinner ;)

Motörhead! What else would a Scuristi :ninja: listen to? :P

Other fav's are System of a Down, Sepultura, Rammstein, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails and Danish band Kashmir.

Søren

PS: My wife doesn't share my taste in music, funnilly enough...

Motörhead! What else would a Scuristi  :ninja: listen to?  :P

Other fav's are System of a Down, Sepultura, Rammstein, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails and Danish band Kashmir.

Søren

PS: My wife doesn't share my taste in music, funnilly enough...

73835[/snapback]

I went to see Motorhead in Manchester on their 30th anniversary tour in November and they were brilliant- trouble is that they have been around so long even playing for 2 hours they can't fit in all the favourites.

They were supported by a Swedish band called In Flames that were pretty good also and did non-stop formation headbanging for an hour!

Guy :helmet:

I went to see Motorhead in Manchester on their 30th anniversary tour in November and they were brilliant- trouble is that they have been around so long even playing for 2 hours they can't fit in all the favourites.

They were supported by a Swedish band called In Flames that were pretty good also and did non-stop formation headbanging for an hour!

Guy  :helmet:

73836[/snapback]

I saw Motorhead and Sepultura here in Copenhagen. They did a double gig and I had the worst case of tinitus afterwards. Those guys play LOUD!!

I know In Flames, they're pretty good, too. In fact the headbanger scene in Sweden is quite big. Also try to listen to The Hellacopters.

Søren

Actually there is a ton of great new stuff around, try;

'What kind of woman is this', Buddy Guy

'My own ragged company', Grace Potter

'One of the fortunate few', Dilbert McClinton

just to name a few.

Also, there are alot of new artists as well as many of the legends out touring. If you're home watching TV you're missing it big time.