Trip to National Motorcycle Museum

Guzzirider

Yesterday I drove down to the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham with a couple of mates (Mal from this forum and Magnus).

You may know that the museum burnt down and most of the bikes were ruined just over a year ago and this was my first visit to the museum since the fire (last went in 1993).

It was well worth the trip- they have still got 250 bikes to restore since the fire but there is still a lot to see especially the classic racers.

Its a real eye opener to see the innovations and technology around in the early 1900s before there was a "blueprint" for a motorcycle.

For any UK members of this forum or visitors from overseas take the time to pay a visit- its our motorcycling heritage and the museum needs our support.

Here are a few pics.

Guy :helmet:

God it makes me feel old seeing the jps nortons lined up like that, the last time i saw them was at knockhill with ron haslam on board, And now they are museum pieces :o

Yes they must have every single Rotary racer in the museum- think it was about a dozen machines including the prototype.

They were so fast about 190mph and used to whizz past RC30s, OW01s and all the other trick Jap bikes on the straights.

They had the TT winning Rotary too which I think Steve Hislop (RIP) won on.

I hope the weather improves for you Martin- it snowed all day but did not settle in the Midlands but as soon as I got on the moors 10 miles from home it had settled and was thick fog- glad I took the car!

Guy :helmet: