Classic Guzzis

Guest parvo

I have a newer V11 and now I want an old Guzzi to tinker with, but not rebuild every weekend. What are the best older Guzzis for reliability and parts availability in the U.S.?

Are the single cylinder 60's bikes fast enough to keep up with traffic, or am I better off with a later V model?

Are there any models, or years that I need to steer clear of?

Hand carved from solid, all the old big twins are basically similar - Tonti framed roundheads: 750's (V7S/S3) are expensive classics now, small carb motors, drum brakes or drum rear, T/T3 are 850 small valves/carb, spoke wheels w/discs, T3 California has cruiser accesories. G5 is 950. Spada is 950 w/good effective fairing. LM1/11 - cast wheels, clip ons, discs, larger valves/carbs 850 (LM1 is collectable = expensive). Later squarehead bikes: LM111 (850), LM1V (950) etc. More of same really except capacities increased....But personally I'd steer clear of 16" front wheel models. 1000S was a nice combination of sqarehead motor w/ early sport styling.

V7S/S3/LM bikes are sport bikes but can tour. Rest are tourers that can sport. Given that virtually everything is interchangable between models, I'd look for whatever is available at your price in good order w/ history etc. Don't pay way over for the collectable ones - dynamically the others are just as good, or for little money, can be.

The singles are nice bikes. Slow (70mph?) & heavy, but nice. Dunno much about them, always fancied one.

Good luck.

KB :sun:

What are the best older Guzzis for reliability and parts availability in the U.S.?

You might want to repeat this over at WildGuzzi.com, but here's a general answer for you.

The singles were never imported in any great number to the U.S., so even if they're fairly common in Europe, they might be a little to obscure for you. I'd love to have one, though. As for keeping up with traffic, it obviously depends on what your traffic looks like. High speed commuter freeways? No.

The twins are more alike than different all the way back to the first V7. But, if you're looking for a sportbike, a Mark3 LeMans would be a good reliable mount to work on (and could be had cheaper than the more desireable Mark 1 LeMans or V7Sport). The old loop frame Eldo would probably be the top choice of the standards. There are lots of them out there, and they are a good handling, very reliable bike. I'd stick with an Eldo before going to an older Ambo. If you want to get more weird, how about a Convert with an automatic transmission?

And, I guess you could look for the same bike that I have had since new (The California 2, not the Daytona). It's now 20 years old, but it's about as reliable a motorcycle as Guzzi ever made. They can be found for around $3,000 for one in pretty good shape. Finding parts is not a problem.

In my opinion, the best combination of looks and function is a '74-75 disc-brake police Eldorado. Like mine. Totally comfortable, and easily upgradable for better handling and braking. Mine has been known to run away from the V11 Sports on the twisty roads down by Mt. St. Helens. And when we get back to Seattle, their asses are dragging and their backs screaming for a chiropractor, while I'm ready for a couple hundred more miles. There're a few things you will have to fix to make a 30-year-old Eldo dead reliable, though, so budget in $1,000 for parts.

V7 Sports're really nice, too. I have always regretted selling mine.

From there, I'd jump past the overpriced LeMans 850 and the under-performing CX-100 to the Mk III LeMans. A very under-rated bike that is currently at the nadir of the value curve and will someday be worth real money. There's a nice white (rare) one for sale right now in Seattle. I'd be happy to assess it for you (I've only seen the ad, not the bike.)

Dan nailed it. The singles are pretty rare over here. I'd love to have one, but they are spendy for what they are and parts are not terribly common. They're also fairly primitive bikes if you get down to it. Not bad- but you should know what you're getting.

The later V-twins are all pretty similar with the big jumps coming at the change from single to twin,

from twin loopframe (Carcano designed frame) to Tonti frame, and from Tonti to spine frame.

Who designed the Spine frame? Not Dr. John was it? I'm drawing a blank here. Too much :drink:

Anyhow- Eldo's are getting slowly more expensive as are the parts. The best bang for the buck is probably a mid/late '80s Cali or so. Ugly, but indestructible. They have the same frames as all the 'T' models (T3, T5), the G5, the Spada, the Cali, as well as the V7 sport, and the 750S or 1100S, as well as the Connie. I have an Eldo and I love it, but the Tonti frames are better handling and cheaper. Some of the early 1000S bikes had the big valve heads, as did the SPIII models (at least some of them) and some of the Le Mans models- not sure which ones. Unless you're looking for a specific application, all the big blocks are otherwise remarkably similar.

Frankly, any late 70's -on Guzzi big block is an excellent value. Hell of a bike for what they sell for.

Come to think of it- don't worry about the model- buy one that runs well, was well maintained, and makes the owner cry when he sells it. You can then make it into any Guzzi you want.

I would stay away from the earlier smallblocktwins- the 350, 500 and 650 bikes. The modern smallblock Breva 750 is very nice, but not what you are looking for.

Edit- Greg just posted while I was writing this. I pretty much agree with you, Greg, but I think you're overly attached to the Eldo- they aren't all that inexpensive any more (not for us peons). Who can afford a front disk setup that was made for one year only? And if you want any battery charging at all, you need to put on an aftermarket alternator...which you sell and by the way works very well. Also, the V7 sport is a TINY motorcycle. Talk about folded up.... other than that- they are a hoot to ride. I regret that one I bought was wrecked the day I was supposed to pick it up. (kicks some sand around)

In my opinion, the best combination of looks and function is a '74-75 disc-brake police Eldorado.

If you do go the Eldo route, take notice of the fact that Greg recommends the last edition, disc brake version. There's a reason for that.

I had a 1973 Police Eldo that I sold at just under 100,000 miles. It was a nice running bike--good handling and very reliable. The problem was that it had Guzzi drum brakes, front and rear. I've heard people say that if you just get them adjust, they're great! Well, I guess I never had mine adjusted right (and I did try). If you want to go down the Eldo road, you really would do best to get one with the disk up front.

Really, though. If you're looking for 25 year old bikes, the model is much less important than what shape it's in.

One last note. Do not buy any Guzzi for its collector value. Every single model ever made is rare, but that doesn't mean that there's a great demand for them. Buy the one you want and you'll do fine.

My 1973 Police, with nice looking, but ineffective drums brakes (taken a very long time ago).

aug010.jpg

Not sure what the situation is in the USA but many Tonti bikes in the UK are not standard at all. Many have had sensible mods made to them and also have motors, bodywork, wheels or whatever from another Tonti so in some cases it does not matter exactly what model it is.

I used to love my old 1000S and also lust after a Le Mans 3. As Greg says LM1s are expensive and I hate that fugly instrument panel on a LM2.

Helen used to have a LMV which although it does not have the classic looks, it is a very practical and useable bike. Very cheap over here too.

Guy :helmet:

I have a newer V11 and now I want an old Guzzi to tinker with, but not rebuild every weekend. What are the best older Guzzis for reliability and parts availability in the U.S.?

73743[/snapback]

Hi, Parvo.

I'm biased but I love my S3, and ride it as much as I ride my V11. It has all the Guzzi twin virtues but its own character. It is a smoother engine than the bigger Tonti twins, in my opinion, and although it couldn't be called fast by modern standards, on real roads I find myself setting the same times as on the V11. It will cruise at high speed very comfortably. Since I bought it in 2000, I have had a new clutch [it finally gave up when I was following a friend on his R1!]........and that's it apart from careful maintenance. The Lafranconi PR exhausts make it sound orgasmic, and I have fitted V7 Sport swan-neck bars and seat for comfort. It's true that the riding position is cramped, but those two modifications make things considerably better without detracting too much from the lines of the original.

I don't know about the US market but they're still under-valued in Europe, in my opinion.

Attached to my Eldo? You don't know the half of it. There's good reason for that, though.

Disc Eldos aren't necessarily that scarce or that expensive. I bought one for $600 this year, and another friend of mine bought one for $150. These were not runners and were both found on Craigslist. Also, you can convert a drum bike to be a disc bike. I can show you how. Find a disc front wheel and a set of sliders, and it's easy from there. If you can get the fork internals, too, so much the better.

Attached to my Eldo? You don't know the half of it. There's good reason for that, though.

73861[/snapback]

Yeah, I've read your book. I'm very attached to mine also- they are wonderful motorcycles.

I keep looking for the disc eldos (or any basket cases for that matter) but they are 1) rare in the midwest and 2) I don't have time to travel and pick one up. That's ok- I'll find one sometime and i'm patient.

I already have a set of forks from my G5. I was going to either machine bushings so I could use the old fork clamps (with that weird taper), or machine new fork clamps. I want to keep the fork cover shrouds. I haven't looked closely enough to see which I need to do, and I have more urgent irons on the fire right now. Also, I'm using Mark Ethridge's softer front brake pads, so it actually stops ok for drum breaks. I would like to hear your advice, though- maybe off list since this is a few decades earlier than the V11 sport :lol:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this. There was some really usefull information. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal around Denver, and hopefully I can pick something up. I think craigs list is a great idea.

Thanks again.