Any 5 Speed Guru's Out There, Mr Roper!

Mike Stewart

Knowing that the box has already been opened up once for this problem, I know Charley Cole will be the right choice here.

Thanks Pete,

Mike

I tried to reply to this earlier but the connection went down.

Firstly, I'd tryadjusting the shifter pawl adjuster so you get slightly more *up* and a bit less *down* on the lever.

Then it will probably be one of two other things. Either poor shimming, and in that case I suggest that you have a look at my shimming instructions on either Guzzitech or Guzzitekdk which are, with all due respect to Dave Richardson, far more detailed and easier to understand and give a better result. Or Secondly, the nut on the front of the output shaft may be coming undone. This results in a poor shift between 3rd and 4th and 2nd and 3rd and the end result is that either the nut bores it's way into the bell housing and you notice the leak OR worse still the gears will double engage and the box will blow up.

Sorry, but I think you should get the box out and send it to Charlie. Shims? You can get 'em anywhere, but somebody who cares is slightly harder to find!!!!!

Pete

74393[/snapback]

What Pierre said-

Also, you could call Mark Ethridge at Moto Guzzi Classics in Long Beach.  He's done more than a few transmissions, albiet he is geared (ha ha) toward the Eldos.  Charley is probably your best bet, though.

74306[/snapback]

At a rally, I thought I heard Mark talking to BJ Schwartz about some gearbox overhauls to be performed by BJ. But it could be Mark was just giving BJ some discarded boxes and I mis-heard everything...

And I thought Pierre said that BJ does excellent work...or maybe it was someone else that said that.

I don't know....it was years ago...

... about some gearbox overhauls to be performed by BJ.

74445[/snapback]

I gotta' see THAT! :nopic:

And I thought Pierre said that BJ does excellent work...  I don't know....it was years ago...

74445[/snapback]

David David David. You are too young to be having these problems. We were talking, lo those many years ago, about some chick who I mentioned gave great BJs. Don't recall her name, but it WASN'T Schwartz. :huh2:

Get it together, son! :rolleyes:

I actually have a $50.00 gift certificate for BJ Schwartz's shop that I won (Janice really won it, I don't win anything) at the Arizona Guzzi Rally in Prescott last year. He does know his transmissions! I am still going with Charley since I already touched base with him and he knows his sh**t. Really trust him since he has been racing with the 5 spd. for many years.

Mike

At a rally, I thought I heard Mark talking to BJ Schwartz about some gearbox overhauls to be performed by BJ.  But it could be Mark was just giving BJ some discarded boxes and I mis-heard everything...

And I thought Pierre said that BJ does excellent work...or maybe it was someone else that said that.

I don't know....it was years ago...

74445[/snapback]

I'm sure that Charlie has worked this out but I'd strongly recommend while he's in there you get rid of the horrible 9 ball per race 3205 bearings with the plastic cages that go on the front of the input and rear of the output shafts and replace 'em with the earlier type 14 ball per race with serpentine cage type that the factory used up until about '83. The only reason I can see for the change is cost, it was a shocking decision as the older type seem to take for ever to wear out but the new type are prone to breaking up their cages, especially if the engine is lugged from low RPM often.

Pete