Inforad-GPS radar warning

wambiker

Hi all, this may be of interest to the european members of this forum. In the UK the use of fixed speed cameras has become a total pain in the a**e :moon: . I have been trying a new unit which may be off some help called the Inforad GPS speed camera warning system. I know some of the newer sat nav systems can warn you of cameras but these require the whole system, which I neither want nor can afford at the moment. This system has a main body, with detachable database unit, a gps anntenna, and a very bright led mounted on the end of a flexible wand. The only connections are power and earth all the others are pre wired. The unit is quite bulky and the best location I found was in the tail unit on an aluminium plate, the anntenna is the black square unit attached to the top of the tail light lens(it has to be able to see the sattelites. The display led is attached to the clocks. The pictures hopefully will make this clear.

So far it seems to be pretty good it has shown me all bar one speed camera I have come across, it is always only going to be as good as its database, which is upgradeable, it has also warned me off a couple that did not exist and on motorways also shows up a couple locally just of the junctions on other raods if they are within range.

The database unit conects via a lead to the pc and can be upgraded from inforads website through the managemnt system that comes as part of the set-up, it only detects fixed sites by gps location not mobile radar cameras. You can set different parameters such as how early the system warns you of an up coming camera.

The display is green normaly, red when approaching the camera and flashing red if you are over the speed for that camera, useful if you are not exactly sure what the speed limit at the camera is.

I have no links to the company, I just bought the unit in my mates bike shop to see if it was any good( did manage a small discount as guinea pig :D ), and thought it might be of interest to people. If you want more info please get back to me. The company has a website at www.gpsinforad.co.uk

If you are interested and can't find a unit locally my mate John can be contacted at Bridge Road Motorcycles.

Again I'm not trying to drum up business just pass on the information if anyone is interested.

Cheers Gary. :bier:

info8.jpginfo7.jpginfo6.jpginfo9.jpg

I read somewhere that the UK is tying all of the cameras to a central location and they will be timing your vehicle between each camera as well as for your total trip. Exceed the speed limit anywhere and you'll get a ticket in the mail. That negates knowing where the cameras are and will likely render your gadget useless within a year or so. Sorry. Big Brother is watching. George Orwell was right, just off in his timing. Wouldn't it be nice if technology was used to enhance your freedom instead of taking it away?

I read somewhere that the UK is tying all of the cameras to a central location and they will be timing your vehicle between each camera as well as for your total trip. Exceed the speed limit anywhere and you'll get a ticket in the mail. That negates knowing where the cameras are and will likely render your gadget useless within a year or so. Sorry. Big Brother is watching. George Orwell was right, just off in his timing. Wouldn't it be nice if technology was used to enhance your freedom instead of taking it away?

75766[/snapback]

The govt are actually proposing putting a GPS tracker in each vehicle to do this- don't worry- its scare tactics because no govt would commit suicide by making this happen.

Their track record on implementing technology is crap- ID cards, air traffic control, CSA computers etc. No way will they be able to do this- will cost a fortune and will piss everyone off.

But when they announce option 2 whatever that is we will all be supposed to breathe a sigh of relief and say "its not as bad as we expected"- typical politicians tactics.

Guy :helmet:

The elapsed time "got you" is common on French autoroutes, where gendarmes wait to pull people at toll booths.

Incidentally, some of you may not be aware that it is an offence in France to drive a vehicle equipped with ANY sort of device which warns the driver of speed cameras or radar. You could get a very heavy, on the spot fine for doing so.

Sh*te, isn't it?

Anyone who likes to speed on public roads (and that includes me) still have a really good chance of getting away with it. Government and agencies are not really serious, if they were we wouldn't have brightly coloured fixed cameras to catch you. If they were really serious cameras would be hidden and mobile.

If you want to wind it out - use a bit of common sense, don't follow the weekend bike mob, take the less used roads away from population centres and try not to piss people off. There still loads of space to push on round here.

Oh, and if you do get caught don't winge, take your licks, it is the law.

ride safe

John

I would have to agree with John, I tend to frequent quiter roads and avoid the main bike meeting areas, or accept if going near them you have to keep it down and watch for the camera vans and coppers hiding in the hedges. Last summer on my way to a guzzi owners meet at the Ponderosa Cafe(Horshoe pass-North Wales) in about a 12-15 miles stretch up to the cafe I passed 6 different police check points-either cameras or roadside stop on whatever idea they could come up with. This included a police discovery(4x4) parked in the middle of the road just after a blind bend, when I stopped to photograph this piece off stupidity was threatened with having my camera confiscated, after telling copper he had better call for back-up first, I told him not to worry he would get his own copy of the pictures after I had e-mailed them to his chief constable (one of the head speeding nazis in the UK). At this point they discussed it between them, jumped in the car an f***ed off. I e-mailed the photos and got a nice reply, thnking me and stating that the officers in question would be queried on there parking tactics and inviting to a meeting with a senior officer at police HQ, which I declined- I might like to twist the tigers tail but am not completely soft. Also avoided N.Wales for the next few weeks :grin:

Cheers Gary :bier:

The following photo was e-mailed to me

WANTED.jpg

GPS will warn you of sites. Some "Road Safety Partnerships" publish on their websites the same information and even their time table when the vans will be there.

Radar detectors will detect radar splatter. Hand held radar is pretty much obsolete now. They were being passed down the line but I'm not sure if it still are used. But radar is used in GATSO type fixed camera.

The vans and hand held is now laser. I don't think there's much you can do about detecting these unless you're going wild weasel.

The Traffic Police Officers have "approved" laser sites that are selected because of a perceived problem identified in part by the number of injury accidents that have occurred they have to visit these sites at a determined frequency. They can either use it coupled with a camera or stand alone in which case they will clock your speed and then stop you, the later method is what they would use away from "approved" sites.

There are SPECS cameras that use the time distance formula over a stretch of road. I don't know the specifics. Last summer I went along the A76? in Scotland were they were being installed. Several sets I don't know if they'd time you between a&b; a&c: a&d; b&c; b&c; b&d; c&d ....etc but it wouldn't be difficult. The good news for motorcycles is that they're forward facing.

I went to the National Traffic Control Centre and our guide enthused about out rolling ANPR system and who it would read and track millions of vehicles. They liked it for traffic flow purposes. I can see the use of it in crime investigation and intelligence. It's not to big a step to then use it for speed enforcement and road pricing. Just need enough computer processing power.

I can see smaller bikes becoming back in vogue along with back lane blasting.

Back to topic - additional warning is nice but you can't beat good observation and appropriate use of speed. Unless the sneaky so and so has parked up behind something to hide and is taking rear shots. But I believe they want front shots to aid with driver identification.

Sorry missed a couple of the pics off the post - here they are

info1.jpginfo2.jpginfo3.jpginfo4.jpg

75765[/snapback]

And i this thingie effective on cammeras used on ither countries , let's say Italy or Germany? for instance.

hat's the cost of it?

The place under the back sit is verx limmited to mine so I guess i have to install it under the seat. Have heared about programm that connect to the PDA and the GPS warning but have not worked any one yet. Does anyone knows any good of them?

Last time I was in Europe it was flashing all over where I was, I thought I was a star :lol:

The database unit conects via a lead to the pc and can be upgraded from inforads website through the managemnt system that comes as part of the set-up, it only detects fixed sites by gps location not mobile radar cameras. You can set different parameters such as how early the system warns you of an up coming camera.

Well if the cable ports are the ones I see you have to watch out cause these kind of serial thingies exist only on desctop PC's and some older Notebooks, though not on the new ones where everything is usb.and yes using a serial to USB converter might as well not solve the problem of compatibility to this(cause we're talking about firmaware flashing here ,ect.ect.

One might have to bring the device close to a PC with such a port to upgrade it I guess. :bier:

And it's antenna up front does it have blue tooth? that would make it compatible to PDA's or devices and be used also as antenna for them too.

I was listening to a local talk show in Cleveland recently in which a guest was selling a product to avoid speed cameras. Its some sort of clear paint that causes a glare on the license plate when the camera flashes so that the plate is unreadable. You just apply a few coats of this clear gloss paint to your plate & voila, no more mail in tickets. I cant remember the name of the product but I'll try a google search to find it.http://www.backstreetinline.com/license_plate_spray_license_plates_spray_licenseplate_spray_license_plate_spray/

Hi Alex,according to the blurb that came with the unit it covers France, Germany, Benelux, Austria and Switzerland.The cable port on the database unit attaches to an adapter with a standard USB lead to attach to your PC. The Antenna is hard wired to the unit and does not have bluetooth capability.

I agree with Martin it is no substitute for good observation, and believe inappropriate speed is a problem rather than just speed, as this goverment is intent on pushing in order to keep the money flowing in to the police forces(no insult Martin) via the camera parnerships and the £20 million the treasury has just had to admit it has made from the cameras itself. I would not support for instance high speeds through 30 MPH country villages, but when you see speed limits imposed on country roads for no apparent reason except the camera sited a 100 metres past the sign. An example that springs to mind is the A34 between Stoke and Stafford, its dual carriageway with no habitation appart from the occasional farm. But the speed limit changes about every mile from 60 to 40 back to 60, then maybe 50 and back to 60 and after each change surprise surprise there is a camera. If someone could explain a real reason I would be interested, but it comes across as one of the most cynical money making schemes in the country. :bbblll:

Also the road from wolverhampton to Bridgenorth, nice country road, half in Staffordshire half in Shropshire, in Staffs half about 6 cameras in the Shrops half none. Same road, apparently same risks, very different council response. Sorry to bang on about this, but this Government has abdicated road policing to cameras rather than human beings.

I drive fire engines for a living so appreciate the results of inapropriate speed at first hand, but also the results of drunk drivers, unlicenced drivers, joyriders, mobile phone users and any other number of useless gits, none of whom get caught by bloody cameras. I was knocked off on my way to work by an unlicenced woman driver, who had no insurance but was still prepared to take her young children to school half a mile from home, happy in the knowledge she was extremely unlikely to be caught unless something else happened.

Sorry I'll shut up now.