A winter ride

Martin Barrett

Debs suggested that I go out for the day on the Guzzi as I haven't done so quite a while and have some time to myself. She seems to have forgotten that I'm going to the Alexander Palace show on Tuesday.

I didn't have anything specific to go or do so I thought I'd have a local bimble and see ifI could find any landmarks that could be used for future rallys/treasure hunts.

Today didn't seem to be overly cold and was dry with only a few wet patches on the roads. I had seen an obelisk marked on a map so I thought I'd head out that way and see what else I could find on the ground.

The first stop was a derelict church.

27010601.jpg

I then found an ornate village name post and it had the legend of "Jack O'legs" on it. A local giant who had taken to robbing the local bakers to feed the poor. The bakers took exception to this, put out his eyes and before putting him to death granted his last wish to be burried where his arrow fell. It hit the village church tower a distance of about 4 miles and is burried there. I then went and found his grave.

27010603.jpg

My next stop was a post windmill.

27010605.jpg

I continued on my meandering route and became aware that all was not well under my rear. A stop revealed that the rear was quite flat. I new there was a service station not top far and I was able to limp there before it went totaly flat.

The air lines at Garages have a 6 - 8 inch metal end with the double headed connector at the end but angled about 30 degrees. It's very difficult to get it on to the valve. The rim is too wide to use the connector facing back down the handle and the wheel hub makes it difficult to get it on square. I eventually was able to get some air in.

I found the likely hole and it wasn't bubbling through a good layer of spittle I decided to try and limp home rather than call the RAC. I reinflated at the next service station about 7 miles, and then limped back to my home town and called in on my local workshop. This is the tyre I had fitted a great expense last month and has done about 500 miles. Normally I've changed punctured tyres but that's relatively easy when tyres reach the end of their life. This time it was filled with pink goo.

I took it for a quick blast between the two junctions either end of the motorway as it runs past my town and then home for a spot of lunch.

I then come across signs "Unsuitable for motorvehicles" "Ford" I think I've been the other way up this "Road" 25 years ago on my Mobelette along with a friend. At that time the river ran down the road. I thought I'd have a closer look. It's dry, the bed is large stones. I make my way gingerly. squeeze past some fly tipping. the bed is becoming mud and deritus and wet. I decide enough is enough and turn around.

The pictures are as I'm about to rejoin the road.

27010610.jpg

27010616.jpg

and the signs where I emerged as took a different fork away

27010618.jpg

I did eventualy work my way around to the other end and went the other way up the unsiutable road. I think I was only a100m short of making it all the way through.

Nice pics :thumbsup:

how cold is "didn't seem to be overly cold"? :D

any idea on the age of the obelisk?

From before the Norman invasion?

The Normans were French, weren't they?

wouldn't that make you lot French? :nerd:

(running for cover)

Nice pics :thumbsup:

how cold is "didn't seem to be overly cold"? :D

any idea on the age of the obelisk?

From before the Norman invasion?

The Normans were French, weren't they?

wouldn't that make you lot French? :nerd:

(running for cover)

76267[/snapback]

Actually the Normans were descended from Vikings who settled in France. We are a mixed bunch in Britain made up from Celts, Saxons, Normans and Vikings (mainly from Denmark but some from Norway).

Forgot to mention West Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi, Indians plus now in Huddersfield there is a growing Eastern European community.

There was an interesting nationwide DNA study a couple of years back- basically most people in England and Scotland have Saxon DNA (even if the Scots may regard themselves as Celts), Ireland, Wales and Cornwall Celtic DNA, and on the Scottish Islands, Isle Of Man and Northern England many with Viking DNA.

Don't think the Romans left many behind- they ran away fast when the Saxons came!!

Guy :helmet:

I then found an ornate  village name post and it had the legend of  "Jack O'legs" on it. A local giant who had taken to robbing the local bakers to feed the poor. The bakers took exception to this, put out his eyes and before putting him to death granted his last wish to be burried where his arrow fell. It hit the village church tower a distance of about 4 miles and is burried there. I then went and found his grave.

76193[/snapback]

What a great story!

Wish I had the balls of that giant!

I know the Right winger atheists on the list think he got what he deserved, and him blindly shooting the arrow to church had nothing to do with his Karma. (maybe some recently fed kid ran got the arrow and brought it to the church, but it still is a good story)

I wonder how many other Robbing Hood stories are out there??????

There was an interesting nationwide DNA study a couple of years back- basically most people in England and Scotland have Saxon DNA

76269[/snapback]

Thanks!

I'm fascinated by all that kinda stuff.

So then...were the Saxons also descendants of Vikings?

If so, then the Saxon Vikings were conquered by the Norman Vikings who were really French who...

it's all very confusing. :unsure:

:lol:

Debs suggested that I go out for the day on the Guzzi as I haven't done so quite a while and have some time to myself. She seems to have forgotten that I'm going to the Alexander Palace show on Tuesday.

I guess you should be grateful. My second wife is nice like that too and actually suggests I should get out there and ride. So great after being with someone who for 20 years moaned and griped about biking and confined me to an MZ250 rat bike! (Had to stay for the kids really).

Buy her flowers. Now!

Thanks!

I'm fascinated by all that kinda stuff.

So then...were the Saxons also descendants of Vikings?

If so, then the Saxon Vikings were conquered by the Norman Vikings who were really French who...

it's all very confusing. :unsure:

:lol:

76294[/snapback]

The Saxons were Germanic tribes- I believe some share similar DNA to Vikings but on the whole they were a seperate race. I think some of the earliest Saxon visitors came from Fresia in the Netherlands and it was them who started the English language.

Guy :helmet:

Theres a fascinating show here on the Discovery Channel about treasure hunting in England. People find old relics with metal detectors & then a team comes in with a bulldozer & remove the top foot or so of soil to find artifacts from the Roman occupation times. We here in the U.S. dont really think about how relatively new our civilization is here in the states. I'd like to tour the ancient sites in Europe someday, especially Italy & Greece.