Somebody tell this guy

staedtler

http://paultan.org/archives/2005/08/18/top-gear-ariel-atom/... <_>

pair it against a 1k, not a 600....

76504[/snapback]

Don't let it wind you up. Cars like that are for young men with lots of money, small organs and no taste who either don't know they want a big bike yet, or haven't got the bottle/skill. It's hard to fall off a car. Hustling my V11 [ or any big bike with a moderate amount of power, or better] through a series of tightening, well-surfaced bends I'm familiar with, getting through and pulling it out on the throttle, at what feels like, but is probably not near enough the edge of adhesion, is a sensation I have never experienced behind the wheel of any car, and I've had some good ones.

Hustling my V11 [ or any big bike with a moderate amount of power, or better] through a series of tightening(sniiip) is a sensation I have never experienced behind the wheel of any car, and I've had some good ones.

76508[/snapback]

mmmh. going thru Francorchamps in a Lotus Elise comes close. And if it drifts, well it's only more fun :) as much as i adore bikes, let's face it: some cars are indeed VERY exciting in the proper environment (but then again, what isn't exciting on a race track ?)

mmmh. going thru Francorchamps in a Lotus Elise comes close. And if it drifts, well it's only more fun :) as much as i adore bikes, let's face it: some cars are indeed VERY exciting in the proper environment (but then again, what isn't exciting on a race track ?)

76512[/snapback]

Well, you're probably right. I'm resentful of youth and money, is my trouble. I couldn't afford or justify a Lotus Elise, though. I hope to have as much fun with my Triton at Prenois this June, but if someone gave me the chance to take a Lotus round Francorchamps, I would jump at it.............

Well, you're probably right. I'm resentful of youth and money, is my trouble. I couldn't afford or justify a Lotus Elise, though. I hope to have as much fun with my Triton at Prenois this June, but if someone gave me the chance to take a Lotus round Francorchamps, I would jump at it.............

76515[/snapback]

I owned an Elise for 5 years- sold it last August. The guys that designed it were both Ducati fans and wanted it to be the closest thing to a bike on 4 wheels.

Probabaly the most fun you can have on 4 wheels other than a Caterham 7.

I had the priviledge of spending a day thrashing around the Lotus test track at Hethel- there is a nice right hander which I managed to take at 80 mph- I felt quite smug until they told me that Senna took it at 160mph in his Lotus F1 car!

Don't like the new style Elises they have designed to sell in the States- they are much heavier with electric windows, airbags, servo assisted brakes and aircon which is completely missing the point- Colin Chapman would turn in his grave if he knew.

Guy :helmet:

it depends on the track

lots of tight bends and a car could be faster

even faster than a R1.

does not matter anyways, fun matters!

In a car you fight the G-force

while on a bike you use it (at least an tarmac). :race:

But he's right about the beer bellies,

I hereby declare Project Beach 2006 officially started :homer:

I owned an Elise for 5 years- sold it last August. The guys that designed it were both Ducati fans and wanted it to be the closest thing to a bike on 4 wheels.

Probabaly the most fun you can have on 4 wheels other than a Caterham 7.

I had the priviledge of spending a day thrashing around the Lotus test track at Hethel- there is a nice right hander which I managed to take at 80 mph- I felt quite smug until they told me that Senna took it at 160mph in his Lotus F1 car!

Don't like the new style Elises they have designed to sell in the States- they are much heavier with electric windows, airbags, servo assisted brakes and aircon which is completely missing the point- Colin Chapman would turn in his grave if he knew.

Guy  :helmet:

76516[/snapback]

I wouldn't want electric motors or ABS brakes I'd want it bare bones with lots'o'power on tap, I've seen them used around here with low, low miles for $35,000 which isn't that bad if I could afford a car I can only drive less than my motorcycle, Cause that gets top billing. :huh2:

I've watched this show for a while on BBC Canada. I've seen this show many times. He could have used a 1000 bike. It wouldn't have made any difference on a curcuit track like that. 4 wheels have an immense advantage over 2 wheels. You clearly see that in the video.

On a 1.4 mile drag, not problem with the bike.

Ciao, Steve G.

He could have used a 1000 bike. It wouldn't have made any difference on a curcuit track like that. 4 wheels have an immense advantage over 2 wheels.

76561[/snapback]

The capabilities of the driver and the rider are not known either. One could be a racer and the other have just normal street skills. Unkowns that make it hard to realise the accuracy of the comparison.

Somewhere I have a video of a Ducati 999 beating a Lamborghini on a racetrack. I was surprised as Steve is right about 4 wheels usually having an advantage on a closed course.

That video was hilarious... The whole thing had the feel of an infomercial, down to the audience "ooooing" and "ahhing". The guy might as well have been selling a set of steak knives.

That car is very cool though ... a sports car in the purest form.

High power-to-weight ratio + low weight = serious fun.

That's why F1 cars are so fast, and that's why sportbikes are fast... seems to me that car has a lot in common with fast bikes.

But lets be honest, as Guzzi owners we know that speed isn't the main reason you have fun on a bike... and that quality no car will ever have.

The capabilities of the driver and the rider are not known either. One could be a racer and the other have just normal street skills. Unkowns that make it hard to realise the accuracy of the comparison.

Somewhere I have a video of a Ducati 999 beating a Lamborghini on a racetrack. I was surprised as Steve is right about 4 wheels usually having an advantage on a closed course.

76565[/snapback]

Hi Jim,

I have seen that video as well of the 999 vs a Lambo Guallardo [sorry for the spelling] . Amazing when they do an overlap of each run to show how the car catches up in the corners, then loses out as the bike accelerates away by sheer power to weight. I think that Ariel Atom would take both the Lambo and 999.

Ciao, Steve G.