''DONT MENTION THE WAR''

g.forrest

i have noticed that when the war is mentioned, people get agro,. [which war] any as we have a cruel history here. all of us. americans. civil war killed 640 thousand of there own. dutch. over 60 thousandjoind the nazi party. british the figure on there barbarity is not final.ausies. i have known a few old soldiers who commited suicide in there 70s as a result of there guilt of the atrositys they committed in the second world war. vietnam vets who can't handle being sobber.and many also who have taken there own lives. in the theatre of war who is innocent, and who is guilty. so to quote john cleese. don't mention the war. as there are no innocent who accept involvement.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have noticed that.........................don't mention the war.

76925[/snapback]

But you had to, once more.....! [i did it once, but I think I got away with it....]

To change the subject, have you still got the T100/Daytona [whichever it is] in the sepia photo on your info page? I had a 1970 Daytona until 2000 and loved it. Boy, did it go, but the motor always felt like a grenade waiting to go off, at speed.

Happy birthday, by the way!

Another reason not to mention it- some forum members may have had family or friends that either died or suffered during various conflicts- let us be respectful of them and those who gave their lives, rather than having irrelevant debates.

Guy :helmet:

Another reason not to mention it- some forum members may have had family or friends that either died or suffered during various conflicts- let us be respectful of them and those who gave their lives, rather than having irrelevant debates.

Guy  :helmet:

76928[/snapback]

:stupid:

Guy  :helmet:

76928[/snapback]

But it is relevant.

Just as 60,000 Dutch may have joined the Nazis, I think it is relevant to understand why.

I often ask Germans what they thought of Hitler's Naziism, the death camps, etc., and I generally get a brief, inconclusive answer, like, that was my grandfather's generation, period.

But I want to know if people knew about the Holocaust death camps.

Not to disrespect for making such a horrible mistake, but I think we have to realize that it could happen again.

Today we know that the US government uses torture and illegal wiretaps and bombs cities killing thousands of "innocents", but these actions are still justified by GWB's SLOWLY dwindling supporters.

They believe the ends justifies the means, and for all I know, I could be wrong and Saddam was a year away from nuking Israel. I think it is highly unlikely, but being a relativist, I understand that there are elements of Truth tha support that paranoia.

I always felt if I was in Nazi Germany, I would have rebelled against the Nazis and tried to liberate the death camps.

But here I sit in the good olde USA, ashamed of some of our actions, impotent to stop the actions.

The Nazis killed many million in death camps.

The US has only killed a handful, presumably by over-zealous guards.

How many more innocent Arabs being locked away and killed will it take rise up against this shameful behaviour?

And in Europe, there is a rise in anti-semitism...no incarcerations, and few if any murders, but it is alive.

The UK has also not been innocent in there methodology in the war against the oil holding countries.

But it is relevant.

Just as 60,000 Dutch may have joined the Nazis, I think it is relevant to understand why....

76954[/snapback]

It's ironic isn't it? A statement like "Don't Mention the War" starts a discussion about the war.

It's kind of like an old (but maybe not so known) psychologist's joke:

"Don't think about monkees!"

Okay, it's not funny, but that's why it's a psychology joke.

I agree with those who don't want to discuss war, or politics or religion here... that's the whole point of a forum like this.

There's PLENTY of forums for those other topics.

That's a well cool parrot, but why has it got its toe in its ear?

Whatever, I think there's a certain inevitability about the direction of this thread. However, if we all resist the temptation to post on it, it might just die on its own.