oil leak

Guest geezerx

Guest geezerx

I just noticed oil on the back of the engine on top of the flange to which the oil pan is bolted. The whole top of the flange across the rear of the engine is wet. Cleaned it off and went for a ride. The oil is back. Wiped it off in the garage and checked an hour later. More oil. I can't be sure but from the feel and smell I think it is engine oil, not tranny. But again, can't be sure about the type.

There is a small slot in the bottom front of the tranny right next to the engine block. (A drain for the clutch area?) I'm pretty sure the oil is coming from this slot and running down the engine.

There are no drops/puddles on the floor yet under the bike but I can see where oil is blowing back onto the exhaust while I am riding.

This bike is about one month out of warranty, 150 miles from the nearest MG dealer, and its' owner probably well advised not to drop the engine himself.

Any words of wisdom or condolence greatly appreciated.

Bruce

2KV11S

96RT (coming out of mothballs :()

All it takes to get oil seepage along the pan seam is one or two loose bolts (don't ask me how I know..). Ensure that all of the pan bolts are secure before looking for trouble elsewhere.

I had two different oil leaks that originated where the breather hoses connect to the spine frame that were similar to yours. The first was at a fitting on the right side of the frame (under the gas tank). The factory installed an incorrectly sized washer that let oil leak even though the bolt was tight.

The second was caused by a loose oil clamp on the hose behind the steering head directly under the frame. I had to remove the steering damper to tighten this one. It seems that oil can travel down the outside of the rubber hoses or along the bottom of the frame and collect on top of the engine (directly under the throttle rod) or on the ridge of the oil pan.

I had the same type of engine oil leak as Joe. It was my fault after installing a new oil drainback hose to my aftermarket sump. The spine frame uses the spine as a oil catch can. It has two holes at the lower part of the spine, where oil gathers after it condenses. On one side the oil drainback hose attaches via a banjo fitting and goes back into the engine case, the other side uses just a plug and copper washer. This is where I had my problem with too small of a washer. I have heard of one other that had a problem with a cracked oil breather hose, this would be another place to look.

Mike

Guest geezerx

Thanks guys. That stuff is mostly already checked and ruled out, at least to the extent of my limited abilities of observation.

Should have done this the first time: :pic:.

oilleak.jpg

There is no oil showing in the photo because I stupidly cleaned everything before shooting. Anyway, the path of the oil first appears at/under the small rectangular slot in the "gearbox" (oooops, tranny is not tranny in a guzzi) where it mates to the engine block. From there it flows down the block and collects on the flange above the oil pan. This oil looks as clean as it was when it came out of the bottle. There is no visible indication of any oil leading to that slot but significant signs of oil at and below that slot. There is a thin gasket (not oil pan gasket) under the engine block at this location but I'm thinking what are the odds that this gasket would fail at the exact same place as the rectangular slot (drain hole??) in the gearbox. :(

It takes as little as a 15 mile ride to get the verticle area below the slot wet again after wipeing everthing down.

Bruce

That is a weep hole. If you have gear lube coming from it, you have a leaking seal on your input shaft on the tranny. If you have motor oil weeping there, you have either a leaking rear main seal, one of the metal plugs in the case is leaking or one of the two bottom bolts in the rear main bearing housing as installed with no thread sealant and is weeping. (The holes for these go right into the inside of the case and oil weeps out on the bolt threads if they aren't sealed. Also it could be the breather elbow in there weeping from where it gets attached to a rubber hose just above the top outside of the case.

Mine did it too. Turned out to be a tranny seal. No reason it failed. it just did. Was covered under warranty, but they took two months to do the work.

Guest geezerx

Hi Rich,

The breather line at the top of the bell housing is eliminated as a possibility.

Although I am fairly sure based on smell that this leak is not gear oil , I am currently looking for someone equiped to dye test the engine oil for me.

Beyond that my current plan is to continue to ride the bike until next winter. As long as the leak stays as-is or worsens at a slow steady pace, I don't forsee a problem proceeding in this manner.

Should this be a fools mission :grin:, I would certainly be opened to enlightenment.

Bruce

:stupid:

If it IS a seal, they tend to get worse slowly vice quickly. Mine started as a mystery drip and ended three months later as a few drops on the ground after each ride. Didn't soak the clutch plates or hurt anything, but did make a mess. Enjoy the ride!

It is notable that the 'hopefully ' dry clutch is in that husing. When my 00sport weped gearoil there it wet the clutch. 6 weeks and Guzzi replaced the seal and the clutch and pressure plate (at 4300 miles).

If you're out of warranty it might be worth fixing before it craps out the clutch.